shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone buy Tahitians from these Etsy vendors?

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock

molinePDG

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I won't (can't) comment on specific pearls in terms of them being a good deal or not, but hopefully some pearl know-how here in terms of helping to evaluate a "too good to be true" deal...

Of course, round pearls are the most expensive. And cleaner pearls will carry a higher premium.

I would suggest comparing as like-to-like as you can with other vendors in a similar shape and blemish level.

It is always worth it to ask a particular vendor what their standards of grading are, since there are no universally accepted grading standards for pearls. One vendors "AAA" might be another vendors "A" might be another vendors "AAAAA++++++ Super gem!" -- you get the idea. Point being, there's no way to know this information unless you ask the vendor for some more education on what their specific quality standards are.

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
@molinePDG Thank you for the advice, as always. PS what a wonderfully handsome new photo for your avatar!!

amti

Rough_Rock
I would avoid the second seller. They have freshwaters listed as Tahitians. The fact that they only have 1-2 photos of their expensive strands with no closeups really bugs me too. Their photo looks like shell pearls imho because if they were that flawless, you'd be paying a lot more than $700. Your third link did not work. I have heard of the last seller but have never purchased from them.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
FWIW I have purchased from TahitianPearls.biz and found the company to be reputable with good communication, and the pearls IRL matched the website description and photos. I returned a SS pearl necklace I bought for my mom (pearls were too large for her!!) and the refund process was quick and timely.

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
@marymm Thanks for the vote of confidence re the particular vendor, I really appreciate it!

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Amti is correct in my opinion. They are also selling 'Australian Akoya' ummmm Then there are the 14mm Akoya drops .... ummmm

All South Sea pearls should be bought from either very reputable small sellers or the large online with good reputations... there are several. These pearls are very difficult to photograph and are often nothing like the photos in real life. You should always request a natural light photo. That said, pearls of colour are never at their best in sunlight since it's mainly the base colour that shows. Grey, Green etc. But it's important to know what they will look like in all lighting .

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
@katbran Thank you as always for your time! I’ve decided to pass on all of them and stick with the more well known vendors. The search continues!

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
@katbran Thank you as always for your time! I’ve decided to pass on all of them and stick with the more well known vendors. The search continues!

Always happy to help. I think it's best to sort out what is the most important quality you want from the pearls. Roundness? Lustre? Colour ? etc. You might consider that each step away from 'round' will save you money. Near Round is just that...nearly round... but with out the round price tag. Semi round is a bit less round but can still be quite 'round to the eye' and again its a drop in price. You can go to Oval or drop shapes and save even more. Circles will be even less expensive. And if you can tolerate some imperfections... even better. Perfect in nature is hard to find so the cost moves up.

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
@katbran Thank you for helping me form my thoughts a bit more. I would say color is foremost (I prefer very pronounced body and overtone colors), followed by luster. Shape and size otherwise not too important to me.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@katbran - you are correct when you state that vendor has bogus descriptions of pearls, however, did you know there is one farm in Australia that grows stunning Akoya pearls including drop shaped Akoyas;

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi, Yes I do know of them and have purchased from them over the years. They were sold to a larger WSS farm last year or the year before Cygnet Bay. All the WSS farms are in the far North / NW of Australia where the waters are very pristine . Broken Bay Akoya is actually located in New South Wales which is the South East of Australia and a very different climate. Interesting really , I was totally surprised when I realised where they were actually located.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results