shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone attending the IJL Event in London in September?

Deia

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I just registered as a student as I am currently studying towards my GG. I've never been and only just found out about it!

Has anyone ever been and will you be going this year? Would love to go with a few other UK Pser's!

I'm really excited about it! ::)

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Deia|1313491263|2991796 said:
I just registered as a student as I am currently studying towards my GG. I've never been and only just found out about it!

Has anyone ever been and will you be going this year? Would love to go with a few other UK Pser's!

I'm really excited about it! ::)

It's strictly trade and gemmology/jewellery students only - they are very tough on credentials on the door, in fact you can't actually get near the doors without appropriate passes so not worth the general public turning up!

I am going - FGA student, not sure which days though... probably Sunday for definite. Let me know when you're thinking of.

I went last year for 2 of the days and had a good time. A lot of my friends work in the trade so was nice to catch up and look at their goodies. You can buy things there in terms of loose stones (remember to add VAT to list prices), but most of the jewellery etc is for bulk ordering.

ETA: If you don't prebook and manage to get someone to help you get in then tickets are £50 GBP.

Any reason you picked the GG over the FGA?

Deia

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oh yay! I got an email that gave me a badge number, although I am confused on whether that is all I need? I thought Sunday would be good for me to go so I don't have to take a day off work.

As a last resort I could ask a colleague of mine who i've known for a few years now who is best friends with Annoushka Ducas, but I'd rather get in without resorting to that! He knows I love jewelry so I know he'd prolly help me out, but still...

I started studying towards my GG last year (actuallly end of 09) so I thought I would keep going with that and finish it. To be honest I have found alot of conflicting information on which diploma is best for what and I just got a bit confused and stuck with the GG. Feel free to un-confuse me though!!

edit - nevermind I just called their registration hotline and they've confirmed they'll be sending my badge out shortly. YAY!

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I was about to say that is all you need.

I just wondered because most people who are based in London tend to go for the FGA as it's based here and more recognised in the UK - and is considerably cheaper! The GG is a lot more useful if you want to work in retail - the FGA doesn't even touch on this side at all - and you study diamonds as well. The FGA is more theory and science heavy and although we cover diamonds in a fair amount of detail you will need to do the DGA as well if you want to be a diamond grader for example.

I have no interest in working in retail, really wanted to know the scientific stuff and diamonds aren't my thing so the FGA was a no-brainer for me.

The GG exams are a lot easier so there is a lot to be said for that, no three hour essay-style theory papers for example... says the person who is waiting for her final results (should know in the next week or so - aaarrggghhhh)

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was just about to start a thread on this as I stumbled on the website this week while looking for Danhov picture.

Looks like it's still Trade Only, booooo :( It would have been good to have a nose round! :love:

http://www.jewellerylondon.com/en/home/whoattends/

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I looked into this in the past and cannot go as it is trade (or students etc.) only, boo hoo! :((

DK :))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results