shape
carat
color
clarity

anybody seen a dress like this?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
I was clicking through Nordstroms looking at the MOB dresses, when I stumbled upon THIS ... thought it would be a fab Bridesmaid dress as my girls, aside from my neice, are all over 30 and want varying degrees of coverage. The catch is we''d like it in dark blue, which isn''t an option at Nordies, at least not yet, and due to the charity walk before the wedding, they would like it to be full length to hide the clogs they intend to wear! Yes, clogs... but hey, whatever... their feet not mine...

Anyway, has anybody run across something like this that comes in other colors? The dark teal isn''t blue enough.

_5157322.jpg

dtnyc

Brilliant_Rock

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
thank you, dtnyc!!! That''s beautiful!

I''ve seen it before but now that I see the other one they respond to it''s amazing how similar it is. A bit more expensive, but maybe we can get a group discount. I''ll run it by them.

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
This Watters dress has a similar shape and comes in several colors.

Barrie Pace also does nice dresses with coverage and their sale section is pretty good.

F106_B1505_F_18E.jpg
S106_A1505_F_35A.jpg
S106_A1512_F_31B.jpg

gail013

Shiny_Rock
HI Sumbride-

I don''t have a link for you, but I have seen very nice evening wear separates like that which would be nice. That way the top can always be pared with blacl pants or a skirt down the road. I would think Nordies would have something like that-

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Mercoledi! There are lots of Watters dresses like that! Cool! It has been so hard to find something that wasn''t strapless or sleeveless... but those are some great options!

Gail - I hadn''t thought of going that route but it''s a good idea. Thanks!

gail013

Shiny_Rock
Sumbride-

i know this doesn''t seem to bother you, but why do the girls want to wear clogs? I have this picture of milk maids and dutch skirts? Maybe they can look at the Naturalizer store first, they do have some cute styles now! Are you doing long skirts/dresses?

By the way I saw some of these separates at a local store, and they came in the most beautiful colors. If I think of the name I will post it here for you.

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
Ann Taylor also does a 'celebrations' line that has dresses/ballskirts/tops/jackets. They just released some things in a beautful dark blue- it might be one of the spring colors. Their stuff can start off pricy, but they run great sales, I just got a cranberry silk taffetta ball skirt for $40 that started at 168. You can probably call and see if they have more blue comming next season. Midnight collection

ETA: check out Jade from Jasmine Bridal:
4099A.jpg

It's their MOB collection but it has great stuff. And for watters, look under both W&W and WToo, both are sized for adults and have different stuff.

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/11/2006 3:53:04 PM
Author: gail013
Sumbride-

i know this doesn''t seem to bother you, but why do the girls want to wear clogs? I have this picture of milk maids and dutch skirts? Maybe they can look at the Naturalizer store first, they do have some cute styles now! Are you doing long skirts/dresses?

By the way I saw some of these separates at a local store, and they came in the most beautiful colors. If I think of the name I will post it here for you.
Ah, the clog thing... That stems from this thread. They are anticipating swollen feet, whereas I am anticipating them to have BROKEN feet. We''ll see. I thought tea-length or ankle-length would be fine but now they are saying no, we want longer... but since it''s outside, that could be interesting.

Mercoledi... does the Ann Taylor line come in plus sizes? One of the girls is about a 22, I think.

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/11/2006 4:24:59 PM
Author: sumbride

Mercoledi... does the Ann Taylor line come in plus sizes? One of the girls is about a 22, I think.

Maybe squishy soft isotoner slippers are in order for BM gifts?

I looked at it seems that they go up to an 18 in things with sizes and a XXL in things sized s,m,l etc. I think you''d have to have her look at the size chart to determine if it was an option. In my opinion their stuff runs a little big and is roomier in the chest than most other women''s wear.

Good luck! I love dark blue!

gail013

Shiny_Rock
OMG! Perhaps you could just charge per head and explain it is being donated to that charity in lieu of your bridemaids actualy walking to raise the funds! Just kidding.

I agree with what Mara posted, that they should be able to tough it out a few days later and put on some shoes. Well, if you saw my post about things I would change about our wedding, one of them was the tons of pics of the wedding party-I wouldn''t waste the $ on it. Sure I''d take a few but that''s it....... But clogs? That is gonna look pretty funny, unless the dresses go to the floor, or this is a casual type of dress. The slipper idea isn''t bad.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sum, there are some nice shoes now that have the special padding in them, I think Cole Haan has some, and they are supposed to be extra comfortable and could be used again. Also, what about nice gel inserts in the shoes, the kind that cushion and massage so their feet will feel nice and not need to be in clogs? A lot of shoe companies are making nice footwear that is actually comfotable....

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
I''m definitely going to have to talk with them about the clog thing... One of the (non-walking) bridesmaids is actually a wedding photographer and she was speaking up about shoes on an email today so maybe they''ll listen to her.

I think the reason the idea of clogs came about is that the girl with the broken foot JUST got out of her cast and her doctor told her she can only wear Dansko clogs and athletic shoes. She won''t wear sneakers, so she''s wearing clogs, and she has several pair, but I don''t think anybody else does. And she walks SO slow when she wears them! And not gracefully. The thing is, she''s basing this choice on her injuries from this year but not thinking about preventing the same injuries next year... makes me crazy!

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
There are a few companies now that make comfortable, supportive shoes that are still pretty. Naturalizer does things like this shoe, and there''s also Indigo by Clarks and Sofft.
Otherwise, there really are pretty slippers out there, or if it''s summer, maybe some fancy thongs?
Slippers, maybe you could trade out the bow for a fanicer one, or for some rhinestone clips?

I''m not a big fan of clogs, and I don''t think the dresses are likely to disguse them unless you went with something with a crinolin. Hopefully you can all find a compromise! Don''t they plan to dance at your wedding? Can you dance in clogs?

sumbride

Ideal_Rock

labbielove

Brilliant_Rock
Sumbride,
not to hijack your thread, but i just wanted to say ''thank you''! for starting this.
my bms (my older sisters) are all over 40 and we were thinking of going the separates route,
but i really really love the looks of the watters bm dresses posted here.

problem is, no shops near me carry them.
i was steering away from sleeves as i didn''t want them to be hot (sept 22 could still be hot here)
and am also conscious of cost-so will have to take that into account as well.

thanks, and this is why i love ps- everyone here is so helpful.

dtnyc

Brilliant_Rock
labbielove-
I don''t know if you could find the dress carried anywhere near you for try-on purposes, but I know you can order Watters through Pearl''s Place, RK bridal and netbride at a tremendous savings over your typical bridal shop.

I know w/ Aria dress you can "order" a sample of a style, but probably not in the color you like (but you can get swatches) and they send you the dress for you and others to try on and then you fed ex it back to them.

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
Labbie - I''m so glad it''s helping you too! I''m so annoyed that all the bridesmaid dresses in the magazines are for early 20s girls, considering so many brides are in their 30s now! It''s just silly. It''s good to have options!

Our wedding is in October, but it''s in Texas/Arkansas, so it will still be considered "late summer". I was worried about the heat, but it will probably be around 70 during our late afternoon ceremony and the girls said they "ABSOLUTELY MUST HAVE SLEEVES". I feel the same way about my dress, honestly, so it will look more balanced.

How far are you from somewhere that sells W&W gowns? It may be worth a trip? And yes, with Aria, they will send you a sample. I''ve ordered some swatches from them for free.

labbielove

Brilliant_Rock
I''m about an hour from a Watters store, and one sis lives here in town.
My 2 older sisters could go together to a place in Columbus.
So I will have them check it out next time they''re together.

I love the idea of doing Aria, esp since they have a try-on program, so I am going to see how they feel about doing that.

Will definitely order some swatches. My one sister has sort of bow-legs and is very self conscious about it, but I think they may still choose to do the knee length. We shall see. They will be beautiful no matter what, I just want them to be comfortable and happy and able to have a good time!

biblobaggins23

Shiny_Rock
I LOVE THE GOLD/CHAMPAGNE DRESS IN THE CENTER!

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
Update...

Most of the girls really liked a few of the Watters dresses. The dissenting voice came from my niece, the youngest of the bridesmaids. She''ll be 16 at the time of the wedding and wow, does she have an attitude. She looked at all the links I sent and promptly decided they were "old lady dresses" and that she wasn''t going to wear any of them. My mom, if you can believe it, said "well, the rest of the bridesmaids ARE old." She used the word "OLD". They range in age from 30-39, but I wouldn''t say "OLD"... but then, when you''re 16, 30 is "OLD", I guess. HA.

While I never had a say in the bridesmaid dresses I had to wear, I really do want the maids to be happy with their attire, so I think I''m going with the "here''s the fabric choice, here''s the designer, you pick the dress" option. Our jr. bridesmaid announced she wants spaghetti straps... and since her dress doesn''t have to match the BM dresses, I''m ok with that... but it''s going to be interesting if all the BMs EXCEPT my niece go with the same dress and my niece looks more like a jr. just because she wanted to show more skin. Ah well, at that point it will be HER choice.

So now to pick a fabric, and a designer, and a color...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results