shape
carat
color
clarity

Anybody out there? I could use some company

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Okay, so I had to go to the doctor today, and he had me get an OTC medicine that''s really messing with me. It''s got some nasty side effects. I have been trying to sleep for four hours. No luck. My heart is racing and it kind of feels like it disappeared out of my chest.

Is there anybody out there to help keep me company while I wait to be able to sleep? I''m a little freaked out.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Don''t freak out. Have you tried taking deep breaths? If it persists, is there an emergency number to call?

WishfulThinking

Brilliant_Rock
I am here. <3 I am supposed to be writing my thesis but I can''t stop crying and I feel sick and have a spitting headache. I''m sorry you''re having nasty side effects. That does sound really scary!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Call a 24 hour pharmacist, tell them what you took honey, tell them ANYTHING ELSE you take and tell them you are scared. They'll calm or, or tell you what to do. Please call. And ((HUGSS)))

*Really off to bed now*

WishfulThinking

Brilliant_Rock
Man, everyone else has really good suggestions, whereas I am just a whiner. But I am still here and will be awake for another 3 hours at least so I am definitely company... if a bit whiny and unhelpful.
41.gif

Definitely do figure out who you should call, though. *hugs* Are you taking any other meds? Sometimes things have very weird reactions.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
I''ll try a few more deep breaths, Harriet. No, there''s no number I can find to call. I really don''t feel like this is worth a trip to the ER, so I think I''m just going to wait this out and call the doctor''s office tomorrow and see what else I can take for this. I guess he just didn''t pay attention when I mentioned my medications, or he didn''t think it would be like this.

Wishful, honey, *hugs*. I''m sorry you can''t stop crying. That''s no fun. At least go drink some water and replace some of that fluid you''ve lost. I bet that would help make the headache go away. What''s your thesis on, by the way? I''m not sure I''ve ever asked.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/15/2009 2:53:02 AM
Author: Gypsy
Call a 24 hour pharmacist, tell them what you took honey, tell them ANYTHING ELSE you take and tell them you are scared. They''ll calm or, or tell you what to do. Please call. And ((HUGSS)))

*Really off to bed now*

Okay, I''ll find the number of one around here. Thanks for the idea.

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
Hi, princesss! I am here--gotta love insomnia. I have had a similar reaction before when I took Ny-Quil. It lessened once the medicine wore off, but it was a loooong night for me. I would call a 24-hour pharmacy just to calm your nerves, but maybe try moving onto the couch and getting comfy with tea and a light-reading book. When my medicine is keeping me awake (usually asthma medicine), that seems to help me. It makes me feel a little less desperate for sleep, and when I finally feel sleepy, I go back to bed.

If you want to chat, I''ll be here for a little while yet
1.gif
. Is that your kitty in your avatar? What are your favorite books? What did you study/are you studying in school?

WishfulThinking

Brilliant_Rock
I hope waiting it out helps, twinnie.

And thanks. I should really learn to cope better, but stuff is reeeeally overwhelming right now, and if I don't write these 40 pages in the next week I am SO screwed. My advisors have to send an evaluation to my dept chair passing me to continue on, so if they hate it/I don't do it I am in trouble! I am drinking Dr. Pepper! You're right I should drink water to make my headache go away instead of popping asprin and drinking caffeine. That can't be healthy, but it's late and I need to finish this! My thesis is currently titled "The Discursive Production of American Ideal Citizenship." At least, that's what I've submitted it under to the conference I'm attending in the spring, but it's such a broad ridiculous title because they told me I couldn't have a colon and then a subtitle. I wish it could be called [and my thesis will really be called] something along the lines of "The Discursive Production of American Ideal Citizenship: A Theoretical Examination of Welfare Reform and Abstinence-Only Sex Education Policies" Hah. Right now I'm writing a section on the construction of the Welfare Queen under Reagan, and how Clinton continued it with the 1996 reforms. Okay, so that is WAY more than you ever wanted to know about my topic, but hopefully it at least provided you with something to read to stave off the boredom.
9.gif
20.gif

ETA: OMG lol I am using J. Butler in this section!!!! So amusing. It's why we fell in love, 'member?
2.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m sure you''ve already done this, but, just in case, don''t take anymore of that med.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
I'm on the phone with the pharmacist right now and she is just the sweetest lady. Completely willing to stay on the phone with a teary, freaked out me and just chat until I calm down. She knew what I was talking about immediately.

Twinnie, that thesis sounds fascinating! But then, you know me, I love stuff like that. And how could I forget our love for J. Butler? She's our mutual love (aside from, you know, each other
28.gif
)

Harriet, don't worry, I'm never taking this again. One dose 15 hours ago and I still feel like this?
38.gif

Kittybean, yeah, that's my Lola all dressed up for Halloween. The picture cracks me up. She was so mad for the whopping 30 seconds she had that hat on.

Favourite books....The Time Traveler's Wife. The God of Small Things. Outlander. Lamb. Song of Solomon. I'm trying really hard to remember all of them, lol. I was an English major, so books are kind of my thing. I have shelves and shelves of them (and 7 more on the way from Amazon, thanks to a gift certificate from my aunt).

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
edit: see you got hold of someone.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Princess
35.gif
: Are you ok there? I hope you're able to reach a pharmacy, or if you're on a health plan, maybe they have an advice nurse you can check with.

BTW Harriet, we've heard WishfulThinking's excuse.... what are you doing up so late?

Good luck!

princesss

Ideal_Rock
No answering service. Grrrr. I''ll call them in the morning to at least find out what I should be taking, instead of this horrible medicine.

Good idea, though, strm. Thanks.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/15/2009 3:02:13 AM
Author: kittybean
Hi, princesss! I am here--gotta love insomnia. I have had a similar reaction before when I took Ny-Quil. It lessened once the medicine wore off, but it was a loooong night for me. I would call a 24-hour pharmacy just to calm your nerves, but maybe try moving onto the couch and getting comfy with tea and a light-reading book. When my medicine is keeping me awake (usually asthma medicine), that seems to help me. It makes me feel a little less desperate for sleep, and when I finally feel sleepy, I go back to bed.

1.gif
. Is that your kitty in your avatar? What are your favorite books? What did you study/are you studying in school?
I *think* Ny-Quil used to contain pseudoephedrine, which is a stimulant.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/15/2009 3:20:25 AM
Author: Harriet
Date: 1/15/2009 3:02:13 AM

Author: kittybean

1.gif
I *think* Ny-Quil used to contain pseudoephedrine, which is a stimulant.

I think that''s the little monster that''s causing this trouble. No more pseudoephedrine for me.

WishfulThinking

Brilliant_Rock
HAHAHA. JB, as we lovingly refer to her in the Gender Studies dept. I was going to apply to Rhetoric at Berkeley just to be near her but I hear she's going to transfer and I kind of don't like their program anyways. [also, awkward, since we're both married hah] I'm starstruck.
20.gif
Thanks for thinking my thesis is interesting... I am not even sure that *I* think it's interesting anymore. Mostly it's just depressing to read about how everyone is getting screwed over, but it's marginally cool to make a really extended overarching argument that is the length of a short book. [Short version: ideals about American citizenship are produced through social and political discourse and transferred to future generations through institutional authorities such as, in this case, public schools. Yum, Foucault. <3]

SO, so glad you got ahold of someone who is sweet! Did you get any answers? 15 hours is a loooong time to feel crappy. Boo. Also, your cat is possibly the cutest thing ever.
30.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
whats the name of the medicine if you don''t mind sharing that info?

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Karl, I took Mucinex-D. The doc specified that I *needed* to take the one with pseudoephedrine. Yeah. Like he needs my pointy work shoes up his butt.

Twinnie, I know exactly what you mean about having a topic that''s interesting, but that you''re...not tired of, necessarily, but not jazzed about like you were when you picked it. I wrote my thesis on bachelorette parties and by the time it finished everybody was saying, "Wow, that''s such a cool topic, you must love writing that," and I was a total zombie about it. "Yeah, sure. Cool. Right." I just got so sick of it. I was surrounded by it for a year. I was so ready to be done that when we were given 4 more days to turn it in than we expected, I didn''t bother trying to make it better. I was completely brain dead on it.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/15/2009 3:18:40 AM
Author: VRBeauty
BTW Harriet, we''ve heard WishfulThinking''s excuse.... what are you doing up so late?
Hey you! Please drop me a line sometime. I didn''t get to talk to you much at the last GTG. I''m up because I had too much to drink! It''s counter-intuitive, I know. And, I only had half a glass of merlot. My friend had 2 sakes, the remainder of my merlot, and was still fine.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/15/2009 3:34:59 AM
Author: princesss
Karl, I took Mucinex-D. The doc specified that I *needed* to take the one with pseudoephedrine. Yeah. Like he needs my pointy work shoes up his butt.

Twinnie, I know exactly what you mean about having a topic that''s interesting, but that you''re...not tired of, necessarily, but not jazzed about like you were when you picked it. I wrote my thesis on bachelorette parties and by the time it finished everybody was saying, ''Wow, that''s such a cool topic, you must love writing that,'' and I was a total zombie about it. ''Yeah, sure. Cool. Right.'' I just got so sick of it. I was surrounded by it for a year. I was so ready to be done that when we were given 4 more days to turn it in than we expected, I didn''t bother trying to make it better. I was completely brain dead on it.
Try drinking lots of water to get it out of your system?

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/15/2009 3:36:45 AM
Author: Harriet

Twinnie, I know exactly what you mean about having a topic that''s interesting, but that you''re...not tired of, necessarily, but not jazzed about like you were when you picked it. I wrote my thesis on bachelorette parties and by the time it finished everybody was saying, ''Wow, that''s such a cool topic, you must love writing that,'' and I was a total zombie about it. ''Yeah, sure. Cool. Right.'' I just got so sick of it. I was surrounded by it for a year. I was so ready to be done that when we were given 4 more days to turn it in than we expected, I didn''t bother trying to make it better. I was completely brain dead on it.
Try drinking lots of water to get it out of your system?

Worth a shot! *wanders off to find a water bottle*

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Silly double posts.

WishfulThinking

Brilliant_Rock
Yup: zombie, braindead... sounds about right.
9.gif
I have until April to write it but the WHOLE rough draft--all 75 pages--has to be in in less than a week. The 7 pages I''ve written are just not gonna cut it.

Harriet- so funny about your Merlot. I don''t know how you do it because when I have alcohol I''m always sooo tired afterwards. I have to drink Dr. Pepper or Coke if I''m going to be able to stay awake!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
That would do it... A lot of people cant take it.
pseudoephedrine is what works the best for me, its replacement don''t work at all for me.

http://www.drugs.com/mucinex-d.html

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have to turn in. If all else fails, remember that a half hour in a warm bath is worth an hour and a half of sleep!
2.gif

Sez me, BTW.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/15/2009 3:40:14 AM
Author: WishfulThinking
Yup: zombie, braindead... sounds about right.
9.gif
I have until April to write it but the WHOLE rough draft--all 75 pages--has to be in in less than a week. The 7 pages I''ve written are just not gonna cut it.

Harriet- so funny about your Merlot. I don''t know how you do it because when I have alcohol I''m always sooo tired afterwards. I have to drink Dr. Pepper or Coke if I''m going to be able to stay awake!
I crashed for 2.5 hours, but that was it.
8.gif

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/15/2009 3:41:43 AM
Author: VRBeauty
I have to turn in. If all else fails, remember that a half hour in a warm bath is worth an hour and a half of sleep!
2.gif

Sez me, BTW.

Goodnight!

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/15/2009 3:40:23 AM
Author: strmrdr

That would do it... A lot of people cant take it.

pseudoephedrine is what works the best for me, its replacement don''t work at all for me.

http://www.drugs.com/mucinex-d.html

Yeah, I checked that site out earlier. Yikes.

So, I have to go to work tomorrow. I''ve missed two days already. Anybody have any tips on how to survive a day on no sleep? I obviously want to avoid caffeine, but I need to be able to stay awake. If I end up staying awake all night I''m going to call a friend and get a ride to work, because I doubt driving after 34 hours without sleep is a good idea.

T-minus 3 and a half hours until my alarm clock goes off.

WishfulThinking

Brilliant_Rock
Goodnight VR beauty! I am getting sooooo tired but I have made very little progress, so awake I shall remain. I will persevere!

Did you try drinking water, princess? I''m sorry you''re feeling blah and your Dr. is incompetent!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results