shape
carat
color
clarity

Anybody know the diamond sizes on the VC Jana? Any guess?

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock
Hello,
My dream ring is in process of being made :) :) Inspiration was pulled from Yessies stunning 5 stone, VC's Jana, with a few personal touches for my taste.

For my ring, I am desiring a more substantial/wider shank. I would like the ring to have a little bit of "substance". In the attached photographs, it appears the VC ring has a shank that is as wide as the lowest diamond or *slightly* thinner. I know the center is a 2.3 ct. But I cannot locate any information on the sizes of the other diamonds in order to determine the width of the shank. Of course the photographs are also magnified which then throws me off a little more on mms.

My lowest diamonds are .18ct each (3.6mm). Others, if curious, are .41s each & center 2.16ct. I've been playing around with measurements and am feeling a 3.5mm shank may work. Therefore the ring will have a little bit about to it but still be feminine and light on the trellis portion. If the shank with is even with the lowest diamond width, I think the transition diamond yo shank would still look natural. Like the transition in the photograph below. I guess the only other option would be to make my bottom diamond a little larger to accommodate a wider shank. I'm not sure if that is necessary at this point.

Thank you for any help.

screenshot_24.png

screenshot_2015-11-20-19-55-36.png

screenshot_2015-11-20-19-59-33.png

screenshot_2015-11-20-19-59-24.png

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock
Re: Anybody know the diamond sizes on the VC Jana? Any guess

Additional thought.....maybe even rounding off the shank? Here is a pic of a ring that I tried on a while ago. This is not the design of my ring I'm just referring to the shank portion. The trellis wires are rounded, so maybe roindinf the shank would compliment as well as have a little width/weight. The white might also help the ring from spinning and then top heavy.

Maybe rounces wont compliment......my ring will have 8 claw prongs not evenly spaced (slightly more exposed girdle N/S). Just tossing it out there for opinions on a regular shank (bit flat) vs. a rounded shank on a trellis style ring.

(Diamonds are .25s in these pics. No idea of the width of the band)

20150908_5.jpg

20150908_173015-1.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I believe the Jana used to be yessies, so that's yessie stone, whatever size that was

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock

Niel|1448128213|3952494 said:
I believe the Jana used to be yessies, so that's yessie stone, whatever size that was

Really? I had no idea. I emailed the company and they told me the middle as shown is a 2.3 and believe Ys is like a 2.7. Ohhh....hummmmm...?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

cinnamonstick|1448131011|3952506 said:
Niel|1448128213|3952494 said:

Really? I had no idea. I emailed the company and they told me the middle as shown is a 2.3 and believe Ys is like a 2.7. Ohhh....hummmmm...?

I believe she has more than one?

I mean, I know she had him make her a 5 stone, and that's in ubplated white gold (which isn't common) so i do believe it's hers

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock

Lol! Okay that would be pretty funny! I guess it could be! I was thinking it was a different ring. The vendor ( or somebody on staff) said it was a 2.3 center stone, but maybe he's mistaken. It actually says hand forged, so it may be!

If yhis is the case, Yessie's lower diamond is .12 ct. (I believe) -Aprox. 3.2mm. I wonder if the band is that wide? Or there about? ....Yessie?

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Start a new thread and ask for YSSIE, in the title. I think she is on here often enough to see it.

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock

LLJsmom|1448139788|3952556 said:
Start a new thread and ask for YSSIE, in the title. I think she is on here often enough to see it.

Thank you, LLJsmom

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yssie's ring started out as a three stone and then was reset a couple of times I think as a five stone. I am almost positive it's the same center stone though - 2.7. That changes the proportions with a different size center stone but I'm sure she will be willing to share all her thoughts with you!

If you search her name here on PS, I'm pretty sure you'll come up with several threads regarding her resets!

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock

Hi, I read up on her 3 stone and 5 stone. Mostly admired the pis. No mention of shank mms.
Correct with her center being 2.7, .43s, .12s. Hopefully Yssie will chime in :) Curious of shank mm. Pretty sure I am seeking 3.5mm. Do not think hers is that wide

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

A .12 stone is around 3.2mm, and the side view of that ring appears to have a shank narrower than the last stone. I probably wouldn't go over 3mm, but I would ask Victor what he thinks looks best for your size stones.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Hey there! A friend emailed me about this thread :))

Yup, that's the first version of my fivestone. The original "turnip" sketch is somewhere here on PS... Center is my 2.7, sides are 0.43 and 0.18 each (I thought they were 0.12, had them weighed loose between resets and turns out they were quite a bit larger!) I later had DBL remake the design to achieve a more liquid-metal look - same stones.

I'm not home at the moment but I'd be happy to measure the shanks on both iterations of the setting for you when I'm back day after tomorrow ::)

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock

Good morning everyone! :) Yssie :)

Would be great to know ur shank width(s) just for reference. Studied a lot of different trellis pictures over the past few days, different designs w different shanks. I definately want a wider shank. Couldn't determine how wide ur shank was in comparison to the lowest diamond. Looks substantial.

Trellis designs are pretty dainty overall, so it may take some thought how to incorporate a wider shank. Or not, maybe I just ask for the shank to be 3.0mm and adjustments are made. I will have IDJ talk to his designer and see how easy this is to change shank dimensions. They have been extremely wonderful to work with!! Honestly, lucky to have found them. I'm trying to organize my thoughts before talking to IDJ about tweeking the shank width. PSers provide such amazing suggestions and opinions!! Good to hear all thoughts.

Thank you Yssie for any measurement info & for jumping in. Diamondseeker2006, thank you for opinion to not go over 3.0mm. I suppose a small taper from the lowest diamond would look nicer vs an even width. 3.00 mm is as thin as I want to go.
:)

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Hello again!

Work has been nutty recently - sorry for the couple days delay on getting back to you.

The VC shank is 2.65mm wide and 1.45mm deep ("high" off the finger). The DBL shank is 2.60mm wide and 1.50mm deep, but is much more rounded (my preference) and so looks narrower in width in-person.

Hope that helps!

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock

Thank you Yssie! I hear you loud and clear with work being nutzo lately! I appreciate the update & measuremens of both ring shanks. Interesting to learn! :) Were those shoulder width measurements? Or palm side?

I knew I desired a wider shank than what was shown on my CAD. Tricky since the trellis design is so airy and somewhat dainly. I didn't want the shank to clash with the beauty of the ring, but really felt the shank needed to be wider. Although the current did compliment the trellis well, astetically speaking. I forget what my CAD was....2.2mm top and 2.6mm bottom, I believe.

The shoulder will now be 3mm widening to 3.6 on the palm side of the shank. Much better for my taste. No regrets- expecially and now learning your shank is aprox 2.65. There was a second I hesitated.....glad I pushed forward. I figured it doesn't really change the look of the ring from the top view or head-on profile, but would give the ring a different feel on my finger (one that I am use to since all my bands are much wider).

We will see! Won't be too much longer now! This whole process started in mid August. Lol! I'm ready! :dance: :wink2:

Happy Thanksgiving!!

Thank you for your time! :)

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

cinnamonstick|1448565900|3954499 said:
Thank you Yssie! I hear you loud and clear with work being nutzo lately! I appreciate the update & measuremens of both ring shanks. Interesting to learn! :) Were those shoulder width measurements? Or palm side?

I knew I desired a wider shank than what was shown on my CAD. Tricky since the trellis design is so airy and somewhat dainly. I didn't want the shank to clash with the beauty of the ring, but really felt the shank needed to be wider. Although the current did compliment the trellis well, astetically speaking. I forget what my CAD was....2.2mm top and 2.6mm bottom, I believe.

The shoulder will now be 3mm widening to 3.6 on the palm side of the shank. Much better for my taste. No regrets- expecially and now learning your shank is aprox 2.65. There was a second I hesitated.....glad I pushed forward. I figured it doesn't really change the look of the ring from the top view or head-on profile, but would give the ring a different feel on my finger (one that I am use to since all my bands are much wider).

We will see! Won't be too much longer now! This whole process started in mid August. Lol! I'm ready! :dance: :wink2:

Happy Thanksgiving!!

Thank you for your time! :)

No problem!

They were neither shoulder nor palm measurements - actually in-between, maybe 45deg from the horizontal. The DBL shank was cast and its width tapers and height gradually increases through the shoulders into the end-prong; the VC shank was handforged and is the same width and depth all the way around until the additional depth of the end-prongs are introduced. This is really, IMO, not a style that lends itself to handforging - this is the sort of style wherein (again IMO) the advantages of casting greatly outweigh the disadvantages.

If you find a thicker band more comfortable then that's definitely what you should do :bigsmile: I'm confident the aesthetic can be tweaked to work with whatever's most comfortable and wearable!! Glad you went ahead with that ::)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results