shape
carat
color
clarity

Anybody here a minimalist?

Elizabeth35

Brilliant_Rock
Having inherited in-law stuff, grand parent stuff, parent stuff--I am absolutely anti-hoarding. I do not want my kids burdened with going through a bunch of worthless crap and old paperwork when I die.
I especially don't want them to have any guilt. I tell them all the time to keep what they want and get rid of the rest.
I have a few small sentimental pieces of silver that I keep. But sold my parents dining room set that I dragged through a couple moves. No guilt. Actually felt relief letting it go to someone who would actually use it. It had served its purpose.
I clear out unused clothes (and shoes and handbags) twice a year. If it hasn't been worn--it is sold or donated. I prefer to get any items in the hands of someone who will use them.

I always envision a bunch of moving trucks trailing behind me with all the crap I have unloaded. I don't want that burden.

anne_h

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Probably not a minimalist by definition (too many dresses and shoes), but I *do* live in a 1000sq2 period co-op apartment with three kids and no garage / basement / outdoor space, so everything we own needs to have at least one purpose (preferably more), and my home is very tidy. I HATE clutter and junk, and I keep very little in the way of sentimental items. I do regular purging and donating. What I need to perfect is not buying it or bringing it home in the first place. Bling excluded of course!! ;-)

Anne

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hate junk and clutter so while I probably don't fit the true definition of a minimalist, I definitely don't pile up junk. I clean out regularly and have only those things which truly make me happy or that I use. My MIL used to say about her SIL that if you went to her house and had to pass out, you'd have to clear out a space to do so first! I like everything clean and neat and put away!

naivemelody

Rough_Rock
I like minimalist music, does that count? :lol:

Honestly the two biggest things that help me keep "stuff" down to a dull roar are 1) cheapness and reluctance to buy things, and 2) having a smaller mid-century-modern house with nothing like the current American "normal" amount of storage space.

Like many people, I have trouble throwing away things that could still be useful. To me it's easier and less wasteful simply to buy less stuff in the first place. So I'm nowhere near a proper minimalist. Sometimes it works out in my favor - for example one of my current favorite dresses is one I bought in high school or college and never wore at the time, but rediscovered while "closet shopping" haha

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've thrown out a lot of stuff in the past year after reading the Marie Kondo book. Living in a small apartment in the city also helps reduce clutter. We're planning to move soon and honestly all my belongings (clothes, shoes, papers, books, other stuff etc) could fit into 5 large suitcases. I exclude furniture and electronic products (TV, fridge etc) which we wouldn't bring with us but is quite minimal anyway. My husband on the other hand is a hoarder. :lol: married life is a constant struggle between my wanting to get rid of everything and his wanting to keep everything. :lol-2:

P

PierreBear

I've watched that documentary as well and it was inspiring! I would like to say we live a semi-minimalist type life style with a house close to 1,400 square feet for two people and a cat who thinks he owns it all. The home is modern/contemporary so there isn't a lot of storage space and with the open concept, everything needs to be "in it's place" to fit or to feel tidy. I'll have to admit that we do have a "storage closet" where we have a catch all place for things we don't know what to do with or may not frequently use. Completely defies the rest of our life style but I guess everyone needs something like that to feel sane? I try to hold myself to not buying knick knacks, which is hard when you go on vacation and you can justify it away. But I really have to imagine where the item will be placed or used or else I don't purchase it.

One thing I've been telling myself is if I haven't used/worn a certain item for 6 months to 1 year, then I need to either start using it that week or it needs to be given/sold/donated. Hope that helps and good luck! Have fun with it too!

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am! If I don't use it, out it goes! This goes for clothing, objects, just about anything! My husband does not like to throw things away (or donate, whatever) so he has an area for his crap, if he gets too much he has to do a cleanout.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've followed the Minimalists for years and frequent military postings helped us keep our stuff in check, believe me it's no fun packing up endless junk over & over! :confused2: We do have some special sentimental items which I cannot bear to part with but overall I do try to subscribe to the minimalist philosophy. I absolutely loath trinkety sh*t everywhere. Except gemstones & jewellery.... that's exempt! :lol:

hathalove

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hey PSers. Sorry I have had to temporarily abandon my thread! I am busy with my newborn and also trying to get rid of stuff! I've already done shoes and clothes. I'm so proud of myself. We aren't junky people or hoarders but I know I will be much happier pairing down to the minimum and having more space and just less to deal with. More clear and organized. Part of it is our space limitation. We live in an apartment in the city and it's myself, dh and my two kids. We stopped buying chotchkies many years ago and started this process of less a little while back. But I really want to go more extreme. More like what the previous PSer Elizabethness was explaining. Quality items but less. I also want visual minimalism too. I will admit I can't seem to keep the surfaces clean. Don't really know how to accomplish that yet. I also want more space which means taking out more stuff. Again with a dh and two kids that is a challenge in our little apartment!

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh how I wish I were a minimalist. I am a packrat and keep things that I think might be useful later. Then I spend too much time on Pinterest finding things I could make from all the shit I have collected. I have an affinity for Tieks shoes and of course I keep all the boxes because they are so cute and dang I could make something out of them eventually right? Ugh. I need to watch the show you referenced.

I live on 5 acres with a 1700 sq ft. house but have a 30'x40' shop and a 16'x46' barn that no animals live in. It is too easy to collect crap.

Last edited:

Platinum-blonde

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Congrats on the new baby!!!!!

If I didn't have a husband, and two kids under three, I would totally be a minimalist. I hate buying stuff that I have to dust, and/or will eventually go in the landfill. I donate stuff all the time, as I figure someone will appreciate my stuff.

I tend to buy only furniture that I love. Usually, they are mid century designer pieces, that have stood the test of time. I don't have a ton of furniture, but just enough for practibility, and design. I try to keep the kid toys in their playroom, which keeps the visible clutter to a minimum.

Before kids, anyone could swing by my house unexpectedly, and it would like an article in Dwell. Now, I need at least 24 hours notice, and it will look... presentable. ...I keep telling myself that the kids are with it. ;))

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No McMansion here. We have organized clutter. I try once a year to purge but we never purge enough.

CarbonBling

Rough_Rock
My hubs and I are both aversive to clutter. However, we are in a constant ebb and flow of toys from all the loving, very giving extended family; with two littles, the struggle is real :lol:

CarbonBling

Rough_Rock
Hey PSers. Sorry I have had to temporarily abandon my thread! I am busy with my newborn and also trying to get rid of stuff! I've already done shoes and clothes. I'm so proud of myself. We aren't junky people or hoarders but I know I will be much happier pairing down to the minimum and having more space and just less to deal with. More clear and organized. Part of it is our space limitation. We live in an apartment in the city and it's myself, dh and my two kids. We stopped buying chotchkies many years ago and started this process of less a little while back. But I really want to go more extreme. More like what the previous PSer Elizabethness was explaining. Quality items but less. I also want visual minimalism too. I will admit I can't seem to keep the surfaces clean. Don't really know how to accomplish that yet. I also want more space which means taking out more stuff. Again with a dh and two kids that is a challenge in our little apartment!
You go mama! Getting anything done with a newborn is commendable!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Let me start by saying this thread has inspired me to jettison two end tables "that bring me no joy"* I was hell bent on replacing them (and have been working on replace them for three years now...) and just this weekend fell upon the perfect replacement... and then said to myself, WHY do I even have end tables? We don't USE them and they got beaten to sh!t in the last move by careless movers (note to self: Three Men And A Truck is the cheapest moving company for a reason). So OUT THEY ARE GOING. Frankly, they're in such bad shape I'm not even taking them to the Salvation Army, I'm just going to take the legs off and put them in the dumpster. If I had a fireplace I'd use them for kindling and roast weenies over them (although the varnish fumes might be toxic, so maybe not...)

But I come to this thread with an question: What does being a minimalist actually MEAN?

I've just spent a ridiculous amount of time googling this (rather than getting out of bed and going to work early or cleaning up the house or anything else productive, LOL) and I find a zillion definitions, no two of them the same. Does it mean you live in a house like the one in The Girl Before? Does it mean you only have 100 things? (I have a problem with the counting of that BTW -- a fork, a spoon and a knife -- 3 things or 1? I've seen it both ways...) Does it mean you have nothing that isn't useful or beautiful or both? THAT could result in A LOT of things. Does it mean you have no clutter? And doesn't no clutter mean no VISIBLE clutter or Really Honest To God NO CLUTTER? Not even a junk drawer? I've had people come in to my house and tell me I'm a minimalist, but I've got a bookcase 18' long and 12' high with 131 squares, each filled with something. How can that be minimalist? I think they mean that because those 131 things are on the shelves neatly that counts... but does it?

Sorry for the threadjack, but trying to determine what a minimalist really IS. And depending on the definition maybe I'll aspire to be one. :bigsmile:

(*Not to make light of the KonMari philosophy -- especially since there's nothing minimalist about that lady's bank account now! -- but this has become a big joke between the CB and me. One of us will make a big display of going over to the garbage, whisking open the cabinet and pulling out the can, and dropping whatever it is in with a flourish saying, "THIS -- it brings me no joy!" Yes, I know, we need a hobby... :lol:)

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dee*Jay to respond to your deep question
But I come to this thread with an question: What does being a minimalist actually MEAN?

I think it means different things to different people. I previously wrote that at heart I am a minimalist but I think if anyone is observing me from the outside in they would think hmmm she is not a minimalist. Two homes, lots of bicycles and exercise equipment and tons of clothes and shoes and yeah a good assortment of bling. And don't forget 4 kitties LOL. However I am still in my heart a minimalist. I like no clutter. I like clean lines and clear paths and I don't like "stuff" per se. Just stuff I use and enjoy. So in that sense I am a minimalist.

And I just finished decluttering a few drawers yesterday and wow it feels so good to declutter!

So to answer your question there is no answer IMO. It means different things to different people.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Test of Inherited Minimalism Traits

Front view: WWW

Back view: WWW

#opinionswelcome !

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Valeria-I'm not sure I understand your links...they bring me to an IG vendor.

So to clarify a bit of what I was writing in my last post re minimalism-it also depends on what you are using it to refer to. That is, minimalism in style, in home, in approach to life, to politics etc..

For example I am a minimalist in terms of jewelry I wear. I wear ER and earrings only generally and when I am home I wear no bling. So to me that is a minimalist style. I prefer the unadorned look. Or at least what I consider to be unadorned.

I am also a minimalist re makeup as in I apply very little if any.

House decor- not a lot of clutter or knick knacks. Clean fluid easy lines and appearance. Lots of clear paths. Clear floors and not a lot of area rugs (to me this is what that means).

Politics- if one is a minimalist in politics they favor little being done I think...doing the bare minimum that is necessary.

The urban dictionary defines it as some one who puts for as little effort as possible as in unmotivated. So that wouldn't be my definition.

But it depends on what you are using it to refer to so different meanings based on context as well.

LOL the word is making no sense now...you know how when you keep repeating a word it sounds nonsensical haha.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good question Dee*Jay. I've asked it many times myself. And this will tickle you no doubt, but I went to a book talk by The Minimalists. I even bought the book. In the ultimate irony, I've misplaced it in the clutter! (Or it's on a deep dark shelf of one of our stuffed bookcases is more likely)

But one of my objections from my reading (more of The Minimalists) and some other stuff, is that some forms of minimalism begin to take on an overarching philosophical (applied to everything) and distinctly moralizing tone. It tends to lean toward a type of minimalist-ier-than-thou, and who needs that? I need a declutter, not a philosophical deep dive - I can and often do do those without needing help. Of course, I could say that the push towards minimalism is an (over)reaction of people who parented in and were raised in, the overabundance of the late 80s and the 90s. The ones who parented then, are now getting all of their parents' stuff, and when put with their own, it horrifies the kids. (And we're talking about middle class kids exclusively I suspect) Which is understandable, but so much stuff that really is worth saving, is going to go to the dumps along with the true junk, and that pains me. I'm a materialist. Not a hoarder or anything, it's that I truly love materials and well-made objects. Especially those that are functional and hand-made at the same time. My mother's family were people who made things, and that takes supplies and space! My mother made things - she sewed all our clothes, cooked, did crafts, refurbished or up-cycled junk (really really well, and long before it was a "thing" - hey we were at the very lower edge of middle class. My mom was a champion garage-saler and dumpster-diver.) So I tend to see what a thing can be, even if I don't want it myself.

I think de-cluttering is good. At our house we've inherited too much due to passing of parents (both sides - his and mine), like so many of our age. But the de-cluttering can turn into just another obsessive activity, it seems to me. I never had much obsessive, and I have pretty much zero these days.

As for my stuff, I'm sure I have much less than some. Certainly much less purely due to space - we only have 1100 sq feet. I've chosen every piece of furniture by size (small), aesthetics, and for utility. Everything except the seating, provides some form of additional storage. In addition, I've inherited some killer antiques like an 1870s Gothic Revival custom foyer chair that is done in red velvet and looks like a throne. I grew up with that, and I love it still. Pretty much every piece of stuff I have has a story, and trashing that stuff is so so hard. I also have rather a lot of original wall and ceramic artwork that I've collected over almost 40 years now.

On a happier note though, I was recently in Denver visiting my mom's sister, and finally managed to "gift" her (her daughter really) with the piles of Arches 300 lb hot and 140 lb cold pressed water color paper and large stack of full sheet matte board that belonged to my mother (as if I would throw out art supplies, right??) Unfortunately, I forgot the light table, so I still need to gift that to someone. I also gifted a perfectly functional and virtually new food processor (I recently upgraded that KitchenAid to a more solid and better-designed Cuisinart) to some younger friends of ours who just had theirs break. Yay me! So I really am working on it! :)

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy

Yoram's simplified square step cuts seem minimalistic to me. I meant the previous post to be asking if they appealed to minimalists around here, as they do to me.

It is a fairly abstract question asked 'in principle', since there is no design proposed & no diatribe on cut characteristics ... All I know is these are small & unusually flashy diamonds, with a clean linear look (internal reflections tend to be parallel to the facets, because of the pared down crowns).

____
WHOA ! the urbandictionary definition ... I haven't heard the word 'minimalist' used in a derogatory way yet ...

I haven't thought of defining minimalism !

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy

Yoram's simplified square step cuts seem minimalistic to me. I meant the previous post to be asking if they appealed to minimalists around here, as they do to me.

It is a fairly abstract question asked 'in principle', since there is no design proposed & no diatribe on cut characteristics ... All I know is these are small & unusually flashy diamonds, with a clean linear look (internal reflections tend to be parallel to the facets, because of the pared down crowns).

____
WHOA ! the urbandictionary definition ... I haven't heard the word 'minimalist' used in a derogatory way yet ...

I haven't thought of defining minimalism !

Thanks for the explanation. I love everything about Yoram's creations. :love:

As far as defining the word (which is really bigger than just a word more a concept and a way of life) it means different things to different people and depends completely on the context. As Tim Gunn would say you can "make it work" for you. :sun:

CarbonBling

Rough_Rock
@missy

Aaahhhh. I see. I too love the Carre. It's simple. Clean. I'd agree that it appeals to me for it's simplicity in the same way I am drawn to the 'less is more' principle.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results