shape
carat
color
clarity

Any way to save this horrible cutting luc yen spinel?

OTL

Brilliant_Rock
I bought a luc yen spinel, which has a nice color but terribly cutted. The measurement is 6.8mm x 9.7mm x 3.7mm
As you can see from the picture, giant giant window, it is 1.86ct.
I was wondering whether a recut can save it? Maybe not completely close the window, but minimize to a acceptable small little window that doesn't affect the beauty too much. And how much weight would possibly lose? The depth is only 3.7mm, so I imagine it would be hard to work with.

_t2ec16h__wse9suw0qk4bqrw9nyl4___60_12.jpg

__kgrhqv__qse_nmq_tvlbqrw9neul___60_12.jpg

__kgrhqj__g4f__85_pwhbqrw9klvwq__60_12.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The bad thing is that it's so shallow, you may lose a great deal of carat weight if recut. You could send the dimensions and photos to someone like Jerry Newman to evaluate. Hopefully, a lapidary on PS will chime in about it.

ruffysdad

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Judging from your pictures, I think the recovery on that one would be pretty poor. Shallow stones like that are really not good canidates for a precision cut. I buy badly cut stones from time to time to do a recut on but I want to get deep pavillions on them. Looking at the dimensions, even a improve-the-stone job would lose over 80%

Pete

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A deep bellied stone can be saved but not a pancake stone. It has to start with the depth and yours has practically none to work with. Expect at least a 50% weight loss to minimize the window (not even closing it completely). Worse yet, such a great weight loss is guaranteed to affect the final colour negatively.

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
To fix the stone, one would need to cut it something like this. As you can see a lot would be cut away. The window would be closed, and the whole stone would not look like the outside of your stone looks. So this would actually improve the look of the stone, as the washed out center would be gone. The stone would have better tone. You can't change color of saturation, but you can increase or decrease tone.

This type of stone is a very poor candidate for a re-cut, as the shape is too flat. You shouldn't buy these types of cuts with the idea of having it recut.

spinel-recut-123.jpg

OTL

Brilliant_Rock

Thanks guys... would know better next time.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results