shape
carat
color
clarity

Any traub/orange blossom experts?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My second cousin sent me this picture, alone with a picture of the box that read "genuine orange blossom by Traub."

I know you can't tell if these are real by photos so I won't waste your time. But does anyone know, was it common for Traub to use paste? Glass? Lab grown? Real spinel? Ruby?
It's 14k, and has pearls that are nothing to write home about.
It was her grandmother's and she asked for my help. She plans to get it appraised, but its still at her mother's so she only has photos. I told her I'd ask in case anyone was familiar.

I wasn't tll much help so I told her I'd try in case anyone might be better than I.

received_745890323060.jpeg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lucky her...gorgeous ring! Sure, synthetic sapphires and rubies were created in the early 1900's and used in jewelry a lot. So it is technically possible they are real or synthetic stones.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1453827858|3981748 said:
Lucky her...gorgeous ring! Sure, synthetic sapphires and rubies were created in the early 1900's and used in jewelry a lot. So it is technically possible they are real or synthetic stones.

Right. I told her when she has it in hand to loupe it see if she could see any inclusions.

I'm thinking lab, but I just wasn't sure if anyone knows if they are prone to using paste or not, kwim?

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Is the ring marked Neil? At one point I wanted a plat Traub band, (since they were located in Detroit), when I was shopping for one, they had a makers mark--does her ring have one?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No telling. It could be paste, but a real gold setting would lead me to think synthetic or real. There may be someone here who knows specifically about Orange Blossom, but I am doubting that even they would be able to say anything definitive. It's just so easy for her to go to a fine jewelry store with an appraiser and find out for sure.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
sarahb|1453830882|3981794 said:
Is the ring marked Neil? At one point I wanted a plat Traub band, (since they were located in Detroit), when I was shopping for one, they had a makers mark--does her ring have one?

I'm fairly certain, she's got the original box it came in with the marks in it. I guess i assumed, but from all indications it has a hallmark.

Hey in glad you commented. Do you know a good place to appraise locally, someplace that knows antique jewelry

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1453831043|3981799 said:
No telling. It could be paste, but a real gold setting would lead me to think synthetic or real. There may be someone here who knows specifically about Orange Blossom, but I am doubting that even they would be able to say anything definitive. It's just so easy for her to go to a fine jewelry store with an appraiser and find out for sure.

Yeah of course I told her to get it appraised, she is just very curious and I told her I'd see if anyone knew how troub liked to work. But I totally agree

MJ_Mac

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi Niel,

Orange Blossom by Traub was a very well known brand from the early 1900's onward till they went of out of business in the 1990's. They had different divisions located in different countries. I believe, but don't quote me on this, that Orange Blossom in Canada never used the Traub hallmark, only Orange Blossom. I have scoured the internet looking for information on Orange Blossom as I believe my mother's original engagement ring was an Orange Blossom. Her family ring from the 1970's was a dead ringer for an an Orange Blossom ring and it had synthetic stones. I know I'm not helping you much but I'm trying to share what little I know about the company. See attached website for some original catalogs.

http://www.orangeblossom.ca/about_orange.asp

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Poodles4me|1453842429|3981929 said:
Hi Niel,

Orange Blossom by Traub was a very well known brand from the early 1900's onward till they went of out of business in the 1990's. They had different divisions located in different countries. I believe, but don't quote me on this, that Orange Blossom in Canada never used the Traub hallmark, only Orange Blossom. I have scoured the internet looking for information on Orange Blossom as I believe my mother's original engagement ring was an Orange Blossom. Her family ring from the 1970's was a dead ringer for an an Orange Blossom ring and it had synthetic stones. I know I'm not helping you much but I'm trying to share what little I know about the company. See attached website for some original catalogs.

Thanks.so lab created synthetic of paste/glass ?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I'm thinking 30-50s?

received_745890357990.jpeg

MJ_Mac

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Niel|1453846029|3981975 said:
Poodles4me|1453842429|3981929 said:
Hi Niel,

Thanks.so lab created synthetic of paste/glass ?

My mother's ring was from the early 70's and when we ordered it I think we had a choice of genuine or "synthetic". Beyond that I don't know the details - I was only 11 at the time :lol: . I think their engagement rings were higher quality than their fashion line. I do know they used real pearls. I don't know when they introduced the fashion line. The ads and catalogs I've seen indicate it might be the '60's.

MJ_Mac

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Forgot to say it's a very pretty ring. I love the detailing on older vintage rings :love: .

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Niel|1453833433|3981819 said:
sarahb|1453830882|3981794 said:

I'm fairly certain, she's got the original box it came in with the marks in it. I guess i assumed, but from all indications it has a hallmark.

Hey in glad you commented. Do you know a good place to appraise locally, someplace that knows antique jewelry

Unfortunately, I do not. Maybe call Seigels, (the owner used to live in my neighborhood & we got to know them) Joel Seigel does quite a bit of estate business. Also Herkners might be a good call as well. Oh! Just thought of this, you could call one of those antique stores on Fulton? I'll think some more about this & let you know if I can come up with anything else. Good luck with your search.

I was at the PO today, & a woman was walking in as I was walking out, I had a momentary flash of 'is that Niel?!?' but decided it wasn't you.

Hope you are doing well! :wavey:

MJ_Mac

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi Niel, I found a ring on eBay that looks very similar to this ring. The stones are different but the setting looks almost identical. I'll post a link to it tomorrow as I don't have access to my computer tonight. Unfortunately we're no closer to identifying the maker and if indeed it is an Orange Blossom as the description says the hallmark has worn away.

As you can tell I am really fascinated by retro/vintage jewellery. I have spent countless hours pouring over vintage designs trying to identify my mother's engagement ring and that's what led me to Orange Blossom.

I wish I could have given you more info on my mother's family ring but the ring is long gone.

Please note that original Orange Blossom ring boxes are rare so the ring box itself may be as valuable as the ring or even more so. Please share with your cousin.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Poodles4me|1453872251|3982197 said:
Hi Niel, I found a ring on eBay that looks very similar to this ring. The stones are different but the setting looks almost identical. I'll post a link to it tomorrow as I don't have access to my computer tonight. Unfortunately we're no closer to identifying the maker and if indeed it is an Orange Blossom as the description says the hallmark has worn away.

As you can tell I am really fascinated by retro/vintage jewellery. I have spent countless hours pouring over vintage designs trying to identify my mother's engagement ring and that's what led me to Orange Blossom.

I wish I could have given you more info on my mother's family ring but the ring is long gone.

Please note that original Orange Blossom ring boxes are rare so the ring box itself may be as valuable as the ring or even more so. Please share with your cousin.

Oh good I can't wait to see. I guess I should ask to confirm, but I had her look for the gold mark in the band, and I know the grandmother never wore it, so I assume if they saw a hallmark different than the box they would have said. ... But I can't assume just becuase a jewelry lover would that I would too! Lol

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results