shape
carat
color
clarity

Any tips on working with Alex Park?

Engrgrl1

Rough_Rock
Calling all experts (well, anyone that knows more about this than me--which likely includes your pets :lol-2:)

Okay folks, I got a DM of the diamond. This does not appear to be the same one he originally proposed (that was 4.5 ct and a E). I was interested in a bit "better" color grade, as my husband can clearly see colors (me, not so much), and I currently have an earth mined D--but it may be okay.

Going for a platinum setting if that makes a difference.

Could all our experts here take a look at this? I have not figured out where the video is for it, but I bet one our of experts can find it :) IMG_5273.PNG IMG_5274.PNG

Attachments

• IMG_5273.PNG
    IMG_5273.PNG
    291.7 KB · Views: 16

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Calling all experts (well, anyone that knows more about this than me--which likely includes your pets :lol-2:)

Okay folks, I got a DM of the diamond. This does not appear to be the same one he originally proposed (that was 4.5 ct and a E). I was interested in a bit "better" color grade, as my husband can clearly see colors (me, not so much), and I currently have an earth mined D--but it may be okay.

Going for a platinum setting if that makes a difference.

Could all our experts here take a look at this? I have not figured out where the video is for it, but I bet one our of experts can find it :) IMG_5273.PNG IMG_5274.PNG

I'm not a big fan of the proportions, cut precision, or material quality, unfortunately.

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
Definite pavilion twist and some graining. What’s the price on this? And G is far from D.

I love seeing you keep your sense of humor through all of this! :lol:

Engrgrl1

Rough_Rock
I'm not a big fan of the proportions, cut precision, or material quality, unfortunately.

Thank you so much! I was hoping that you and/or Dejawiz would chime in. I couldn't even find the darn video.

I noticed it was an "older" cert number (Dec 2022) which made me wonder why it was still hanging around; and it wasn't the diamond/specs that were quoted (4.5 E).

Hmm, I will reply back to him with the observations tomorrow morning. At this point, I am not sure how I want to/should proceed:

1. Give him an opportunity to locate a better diamond,
2. suggest a diamond that is more like what I am looking for
3. cut bait and throw myself on the mercy of @Kim N and Dejawiz to help me find a "stunner".

Engrgrl1

Rough_Rock
Definite pavilion twist and some graining. What’s the price on this? And G is far from D.

I love seeing you keep your sense of humor through all of this! :lol:

He originally quoted a 4.5 E ideal at $3300. This is not the same diamond, he only sent a pic of this cert, nothing else.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
How much do you save buying from him?I don’t have patience for this silliness. This diamond isn’t what you asked for at all. And customers should not have to strategize about how to communicate with a vendor.

Engrgrl1

Rough_Rock
How much do you save buying from him?I don’t have patience for this silliness. This diamond isn’t what you asked for at all. And customers should not have to strategize about how to communicate with a vendor.

He quoted me $3300 for the stone (as a 4.5 ct E) and platinum setting "start from $800-$2000". I did not give him a price range or a budget or a timeframe; I only gave him the ct size (4.2-5 ct), top notch cut and material (I had told him I had waited a long time for this and wanted a stunner that could signal planes;)2), and D-E (as my husband can see color the differences between a D, E, F and my original is a EM D).

I asked him for the "details".

These were the certs he sent me.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Thank you so much! I was hoping that you and/or Dejawiz would chime in. I couldn't even find the darn video.

I noticed it was an "older" cert number (Dec 2022) which made me wonder why it was still hanging around; and it wasn't the diamond/specs that were quoted (4.5 E).

Hmm, I will reply back to him with the observations tomorrow morning. At this point, I am not sure how I want to/should proceed:

3. cut bait and throw myself on the mercy of @Kim N and Dejawiz to help me find a "stunner".

NUMBER 3

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Are you opposed to working with Whiteflash? It would be a one-stop shop since they have the setting you want.

Engrgrl1

Rough_Rock
Are you opposed to working with Whiteflash? It would be a one-stop shop since they have the setting you want.

I am not opposed to working with them. I had gotten the impression (perhaps the wrong impression) from reading through posts and briefly checking out their website that they have excellent top notch stones that are quite pricey. I had not planned to spend in the $18,000-$20,000 range for a stone; and the other stones they list are very reasonable, but don't seem to be as nice as the ones that you and Dejawiz locate. Maybe that's a wrong impression? Perhaps their lower level (non precision stones) are actually really good also and reasonably priced. I'd love to know your thoughts and suggestions on this.

And I really am thankful for all of the PSers comments and recommendations!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I can’t imagine Whiteflash charges 20k for a lab grown diamond, but if they do that’s wild.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ok apparently they do have some LGD listed for 20k lol But they also appear to have access to the same virtual inventory others use and those are more reasonably priced.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am not opposed to working with them. I had gotten the impression (perhaps the wrong impression) from reading through posts and briefly checking out their website that they have excellent top notch stones that are quite pricey. I had not planned to spend in the $18,000-$20,000 range for a stone; and the other stones they list are very reasonable, but don't seem to be as nice as the ones that you and Dejawiz locate. Maybe that's a wrong impression? Perhaps their lower level (non precision stones) are actually really good also and reasonably priced. I'd love to know your thoughts and suggestions on this.

And I really am thankful for all of the PSers comments and recommendations!

I hadn't looked at their prices in a while, but you're right that they're pretty high.

My vote is to proceed with #3. :bigsmile:

Engrgrl1

Rough_Rock
I hadn't looked at their prices in a while, but you're right that they're pretty high.

I don't have a budget, but if those stones at Whiteflash are the cream of the crop for $20k, it sure seems like y'all are finding stones in that size range that are pretty darn nice for about a quarter to a third of that. And I don't need perfection, pretty darn nice will do just fine;)2 (I still have two kids simultaneously in college--yup, I had mine late and didn't do the math:lol-2:)

If you are game, we can get this party started. Not tonight, it's late for y'all, but we can do this when you have some time. I am willing to wait for the right stone to come along. :) Thank you for your help and your willingness to share your expertise.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't have a budget, but if those stones at Whiteflash are the cream of the crop for $20k, it sure seems like y'all are finding stones in that size range that are pretty darn nice for about a quarter to a third of that. And I don't need perfection, pretty darn nice will do just fine;)2 (I still have two kids simultaneously in college--yup, I had mine late and didn't do the math:lol-2:)

If you are game, we can get this party started. Not tonight, it's late for y'all, but we can do this when you have some time. I am willing to wait for the right stone to come along. :) Thank you for your help and your willingness to share your expertise.

I found a beautiful diamond for you already. Let me know when you're ready to put it on hold or purchase!

Jax172

Brilliant_Rock
Definitely ditch him and have the sleuths here find you an awesome stone then contact David. He makes gorgeous rings.

Engrgrl1

Rough_Rock

Hi Kim! I am at work now but I will be at it later tonight --later around 9-10EST. It wouldn't happen to be 4.34 ct would it? I tried really hard last night to at least find one that meet the "numbers" criteria--I feel so guilty that you guys do all this work! I can't see what you guys see in the videos though.

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I’m going to chime in with what I’ve observed over the years. I have not interacted with him.

I personally think Alex Park does great turnkey settings with no fuss or coaching. He is extremely talented on settings and cost of those settings is excellent. Product is IMO excellent.

I’ve mentally toyed with the idea of buying a stone from him so I could get an Alex Park setting. Because that’s my style, I do not have the skills to coach a designer on what I want, easily.

However, his diamonds are meant to be bought with as little hand holding as possible and hence there are some amazing diamonds (some of his old cuts) and some that are not Pricescope perfect specs. You must understand that Alex will not be comfortable with intense scrutiny and back and forth of the stone or setting construction in a way that David Klass is or Jonathan from Distinctive Gem is.

I still long for an Alex Park setting. In my eyes he’s one of the best available setting geniuses. But for people who don’t get that it’s a good idea to start with Ps prosumer help and DKJ or Jonathan for full service. Just my opinion.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Kim! I am at work now but I will be at it later tonight --later around 9-10EST. It wouldn't happen to be 4.34 ct would it? I tried really hard last night to at least find one that meet the "numbers" criteria--I feel so guilty that you guys do all this work! I can't see what you guys see in the videos though.

The one I found isn't 4.34 ct. I'll check in later tonight!

VanillaBean

Rough_Rock
I think if this initial stone, discussion doesn't work out with Alex, I am going to go the route of having some of our PS experts help me locate a stone, and then go the David Klass route. Can I ask how long the process takes with David Klass?

I had PS’ers @DejaWiz and @Kim N help me find my stone, and David Klass did the setting for me. It took exactly 4 weeks from first email to a completed ring (David was out of town for some of that, and I made a few revisions). I highly recommend him and Amy, who you will also communicate with. It was so easy - sent my ideas, they sent CADs and a wax model, sent me a shipping labels for my stone, and I ended up picking my finished ring up in their shop in LA since I am in SoCal. My ring is gorgeous and perfect, I get compliments constantly. Even my appraiser was super impressed, knew who David was and said it was made beautifully.

IMG_2182.jpeg

Attachments

• 7883ECC3-55BD-44DE-8072-CCFF5BB190C6.jpeg
    7883ECC3-55BD-44DE-8072-CCFF5BB190C6.jpeg
    201.4 KB · Views: 28
  • 4A4B663E-FF7C-474C-A03E-E3D465FFBE77.jpeg
    4A4B663E-FF7C-474C-A03E-E3D465FFBE77.jpeg
    170.8 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_2538.jpeg
    IMG_2538.jpeg
    185.9 KB · Views: 32

Engrgrl1

Rough_Rock
Sorry guys, just got home from work (if we could only keep people from doing stupid things.....:roll:).

For those following along in this saga--this is my first adventure attempting to replace my 28 year old original Engagement ring with something big and fabulous- a "stunner"-for my upcoming 60th (a present from my husband but he's leaving it up to me to pick out what I want)--I chose Alex Park because of the praise he receives here as a one-stop reasonably priced shop. He proposed a 4.5 E Ideal, I asked for the cert, and then I received a cert for a 4.6 ct G, had the experts on here give it the once over, and I needed to message Alex back about the stone.

The stone that I requested was to be a D or E (I explained my husband is color sensitive and my EM original diamond he chose is a D) and I stressed I wanted a fabulously top-notch cut, and I did not give him a budget or time limit. I was disappointed that the stone he selected was a G that our wonderful experts here could see had pavilion twist, graining, and the proportions, cut precision, or material quality, were not the best. Ugh! Not at all what I was expecting.

I got some warnings from the great folks on here about Alex being a bit gruff and not the type to hand hold. But I really don't think this has anything to do me needing hand holding--I gave him the parameters of a stone I was looking for: 4.2-5ct, D or E, fabulously cut with good material, H and A perhaps, great specs, HPHT preferred, and just overall a great stone. I did not give him a timeframe or budget limitations, and let him know this was a once in a lifetime replacement for my 28 year old Engagement ring . The plan was to secure the stone, then finalize the ER design, then select/design a coordinating platinum band (design contingent on coordinating with the ring). He just did not provide what I asked.

I thought about it all day long---how to write that message, to let him know I did not like the stone he proposed without offending him--which seemed almost impossible to do (I'm still thinking the Soup Nazi here). Perhaps I overthink things, but I thought that in the future, I may have the need for a more middle of the road piece or stone, didn't want to burn my bridges with him.

I finally came up with this--and in the meantime, I will be contacting David Klass (is that by Email or DM?) to make sure he can take this project on and his timeline, and once her confirms, with Kim N to find a stone--and we can take our time Kim and find something great--I truly trust your expertise.

I do not expect Alex to respond favorably to this message:lol-2: , and I gave him an out to step away from the project if I am too "picky". I'll give y'all the tea when he responds.

You guys don't know how much I appreciate you and your help on this journey! IMG_5279.jpg IMG_5280.jpg

Engrgrl1

Rough_Rock
I had PS’ers @DejaWiz and @Kim N help me find my stone, and David Klass did the setting for me. It took exactly 4 weeks from first email to a completed ring (David was out of town for some of that, and I made a few revisions). I highly recommend him and Amy, who you will also communicate with. It was so easy - sent my ideas, they sent CADs and a wax model, sent me a shipping labels for my stone, and I ended up picking my finished ring up in their shop in LA since I am in SoCal. My ring is gorgeous and perfect, I get compliments constantly. Even my appraiser was super impressed, knew who David was and said it was made beautifully.

IMG_2182.jpeg

Thank you for your response! Your ring is just gorgeous--so elegant! Can I ask how you contacted him (email, DM, etc?)?

I have no issue with Kim and DejaWiz helping me pick out a stone--I have been lurking on this site for quite a while, and have seen so many happy results from these experts helping out. That was the part I was good with, it was all the shipping back and forth that made me nervous and made me turn to a one stop shop like Alex Park for my first go round.

Honestly, I thought that Alex would do at least as well as our volunteer experts, if not better (I assumed he had access to wholesale inventory that we, as the general public doesn't have access to). I understood to work with him I needed him to procure the stone--but I am still a bit stunned by the stone he proposed.

Also, I love your band you wear with it--did you get that from David or somewhere else?

Jax172

Brilliant_Rock
Just email David and he will respond quickly. He’s not typically verbose either but the tone never strikes me as bordering on rude like Alex. You shouldn’t have to feel like you are walking on eggshells with your vendor.

lucythedog

Rough_Rock
I cannot wait to see the beautiful ring that you end up with! Our feelings get so involved as the buyer - but as the vendor -it’s a business transaction. You should get whatever you will enjoy looking at every day and not feel badly about it.

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi OP, I think you aren’t understanding that Alex Park’s business model is not stone concierge as far as I understand. So this is not his deficit, it’s that you are asking him to do things he doesn’t do comfortably within his business model.

Pricescope people can help you find a great diamond. The Lab Diamond Pricescope forum will get the help you need.

Then pick a designer to do the setting. David Klass is likely perfect for your needs. His reviews and products are excellent. You can see his work/reviews by searching Pricescope.

If you want a great stone concierge who will give you exactly what you want with enthusiasm, and then set the stone in a custom design, that’s Jonathan at Distinctive Gem. This route might be slightly more costly, but you can look up his reviews and work on PS and they are excellent. Distinctive Gem is a “one stop shop” as far as I know.

Again, I think you might be limiting yourself and setting yourself up for disappointment if you keep asking Alex Park for help doing something (stone finding and scrutiny) that I think is not his focus. I would absolutely keep him happy with you as a customer (do not burn bridges) so you can do business with him in the future.

The DIAMOND is the most important part of the picture, so you should make sure you are in the best position to find exactly the stone you love in the easiest way possible. I think PS Prosumers are quite competent in this regard, so you could start here.

Good Luck!

Last edited:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

Engrgrl1

Rough_Rock
Just an update on my journey:

Alex replied last Friday "No worries, we understand! will look for other stones." I have not heard from him since. I will let you know if he follows up, and I will follow up with him again in a few days.

I also reached out to David Klass, and he responded back. We were away for a few days catching the eclipse :), so I just sent him some ideas today of what I was looking for. Once I get a confirmation that he is interested in the project and will take this on, I will reach out to the Experts on PS to help me locate a gorgeous stone for a reasonable price--I don't have a price point, it's more about quality vs cost (I have waited 28 years, what's a little more time for Kim to work her magic:lol-2:).

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results