shape
carat
color
clarity

Any tips on saying goodbye ?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mia1181

Brilliant_Rock
I have niece on DH''s side who I am very close to. I babysat her from the time she was 8 or 9 months old and she is now 8 years old. We''ve always had a special bond. At family functions she would always reserve seats next to me and only want to spend time with me. When she was 5, I moved across the country and thought the relationship would taper off because she isn''t good on the phone and would probably move on to other things in her life (I remember being annoyed as a child when relatives would come to visit and tell me how close we were, when I didn''t even remember them!). Anyway each time I go home she is still very excited to see me and spend time with me. It really is wonderful!

Well now that she is getting older she is becoming more emotional about goodbyes and I feel so awful. This is what happened the last time I visited. I spent my last day in town with her, her brother and mother. She''s very good with dates and knew it was my last day (everytime I go she recites to people the exact date/time I will be coming/leaving). Anyway I said goodbye and she hugged/kissed me and went on doing what she was doing and I got in my car an left. I made it 3 blocks down the road when my cellphone starting ringing, and it was her house. I answered, but could only here her crying and couldn''t make out what she was saying. So I hung up, turned around and ran into her house. There she was just bawling on her mother that she didn''t want me to leave. I had no idea she would be so sad. I hugged her for a while and explained that I''ll be back soon enough and she''ll be fine. By that time we were all crying, her mother, brother and I were all just crying with her. She calmed down so I said goodbye again and left, and her mother suggested they go outside and wave as I drove off. As I started to pull away she ran after the car screaming and crying, and that was the last time I saw her. It was so surreal, like a scene from a movie and I had no idea she was so emotional. She is a normal kid, has lots of friends and a happy childhood. And I know once I''m gone she is fine and is like "Aunt Janis, who?" But it is so hard to leave.

Anyway, I am going to see her again this week and I wondered if anyone had any suggestions for how to make goodbye''s easier. I know this time I will start a count down to when I have to leave so it isn''t as sudden as last time. But any other advice? I know from my nannying experience sometimes it''s better to just leave then linger and prolong the inevitable (like when mommy leaves for work). But is there anything I can do or say to help her get over it sooner? Last time she emailed me several times a day for a few weeks about how much she misses me. I''d much rather her get over it and go back to her life. I feel really bad for popping in and out of her life.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
I grew up 1000 miles away from just about all of my family members. Goodbyes were always tearful, none of us ever figured out how NOT to do it. What helped me was just saying "see you later" instead of "goodbye" because I was SOO afraid that when I said "goodbye" it really would be for the last time. (weird for a child''s mind, I know)

Would it help if she had the next visit date before you left?

mia1181

Brilliant_Rock
Yes I think it really helps when I can tell her when I''ll be back. But it''s really hard to do because I''m not always sure. It''s funny that you thought like that when you were a kid. She''s the same way, she''s a very deep little girl and thinks about things she shouldn''t be worrying about at her age.

I did come up with an idea though. I am going to give her a gift that she can only open when I leave. It might make her look forward to when I leave.... now I just have to think of something..... I might hide it in her house somewhere and then give her a card saying where it is, right before I leave. That way I can get out the door while she is occupied finding her gift! Okay now I need to think of something good...

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Poor thing-I bet you''re a fun auntie or she wouldn''t love you so much! I think your gift idea is great. What if you got her a little silver necklace with your initials on it or something? That could be a special thing to open and she could think of you when she wears it.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
You could do a "treasure" map to occupy her even longer. Or maybe mail something to her when you get home?? Leave or send her a care package of your favorite movies, snacks, books, (whatever you like to do together) and a photo album (with silly pics that make her laugh). That way she can think of you when you''re gone.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Time is what she needs. I have the same thing with my nephew. This has worked for us. Before I leave we start a project. It''s something we can do together and yet apart. We start it together, my part. That takes up time. We talk about what he can do in my absense. I say, I know you will do something great, and your Mom will take a pic and send it to me... Just a thought... I like this idea because you are spending time without focussing on the goodbye. It''s more of a collaboration till you meet again....
12.gif

Those goodbyes just kill me, so I know it''s hard... My nephew is my heart.

mia1181

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/15/2009 11:31:07 PM
Author: thing2of2
Poor thing-I bet you''re a fun auntie or she wouldn''t love you so much! I think your gift idea is great. What if you got her a little silver necklace with your initials on it or something? That could be a special thing to open and she could think of you when she wears it.
Perfect! I''ll probably do jewelry because she has her ears pierced. I don''t know about my initials...it might be weird. But maybe I could find a necklace that I really like and buy two and we each can have one?

mia1181

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/16/2009 12:14:26 AM
Author: somethingshiny
You could do a ''treasure'' map to occupy her even longer. Or maybe mail something to her when you get home?? Leave or send her a care package of your favorite movies, snacks, books, (whatever you like to do together) and a photo album (with silly pics that make her laugh). That way she can think of you when you''re gone.
Oooooh Treasure Map! Good idea. I''ll also have to leave something for her brother (to be fair) so if they get to look for two gifts it will really occupy them. I already do the care packages a lot. I actually got to do an awesome project for her school. Have you ever heard of "Flat Stanley?" Well, M got to do that for her class. She picked me (of course) and mailed me a picture of herself and then I got to go around taking pictures of "her" all over San Francisco. Of course I took pictures in front of the Golden Gate, Transamerica building, and Ghirardelli square (and sent some chocolates for her whole class!). It was so cool! I am so thankful that her school gave me the chance to do that.

mia1181

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/16/2009 12:44:26 AM
Author: Kaleigh
Time is what she needs. I have the same thing with my nephew. This has worked for us. Before I leave we start a project. It''s something we can do together and yet apart. We start it together, my part. That takes up time. We talk about what he can do in my absense. I say, I know you will do something great, and your Mom will take a pic and send it to me... Just a thought... I like this idea because you are spending time without focussing on the goodbye. It''s more of a collaboration till you meet again....
12.gif

Those goodbyes just kill me, so I know it''s hard... My nephew is my heart.
Great idea about the project! She''s really into crafty type things, we started doing art projects together at age 2. But I think it would be cool to find something that takes a loooong time to complete. Something we can work on together, she can work on alone when I am away and when I come back we can work together again. I''ll have to think about what that could be..... Your post reminded me of the movie Bodyguard. In the movie, he has a chess game that he plays every time he visits his dad, but the game has gone on for years. I like fun traditions like that.

Sorry you miss your nephew too. I know it''s just so hard
38.gif
. She''s really the only one back home that I feel bad for leaving....

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is just the sweetest thing! I think the hidden gift is a totally fabulous idea! A game for the kids would be great. But I do think a piece of identical jewelry would be super special. At mall stores like Claire''s, they have these pairs of necklaces for best friends. You could adapt the idea for her. What about a charm bracelet that you start and bring her a special charm each time you visit to remind her of your time together?

niccia

Shiny_Rock
That''s so sad, but it is also wonderful to know that she loves you so much. My niece and I have a similar relationship, although she is only four. I have been so in love with her since the day she was born, and have always tried to play with her on her level, so when we see each other it is just a constant game of house lol. Now that she is older, she is having a hard time with goodbyes too and constantly wants to know how much time is left before I have to leave again. I am always honest with her, and I make sure to tell her about upcoming visits and events that we have to look forward to. I also talk to her on the phone quite a bit, but that is probably more for me than her, because I think once I am gone she is fine. Sending her little gifts and cards helps too. I really don''t know if there is any easy way of saying goodbye though, and it doesn''t help that usually my sister and I are in tears too !

mia1181

Brilliant_Rock
diamondseeker- ooh a charm bracelot. I''m going to ask her mother if she thinks she would be into that. I had one when I was little, but it was silver and is permanently tarnished.
14.gif
So maybe I will get her a white gold one. Ooooh so many ideas!

niccia- That''s great you can at least talk to her on the phone. M is terrible on the phone. The 3 year old I nanny is waaay better than my 8YO niece on the phone! I don''t know why, she just doesn''t act the same way when it is over the phone. She acts disinterested and awkward. I think that''s what make it harder!

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/16/2009 3:10:47 PM
Author: mia1181
Date: 1/15/2009 11:31:07 PM

Perfect! I''ll probably do jewelry because she has her ears pierced. I don''t know about my initials...it might be weird. But maybe I could find a necklace that I really like and buy two and we each can have one?

Hahaha sorry I meant both of your initials! Just your initials would be weird! Something like this but with 2 discs or with 2 actual initials?

DSC_1137.JPG

mia1181

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/16/2009 9:27:40 PM
Hahaha sorry I meant both of your initials! Just your initials would be weird! Something like this but with 2 discs or with 2 actual initials?
Thanks! Very cute! That would be perfect! I know I''ll be at the mall when I''m there. Hopefully I''ll find something similar that is nice enough for me to wear too. I wish I would''ve thought of this sooner!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/16/2009 10:15:19 PM

Date: 1/16/2009 9:27:40 PM
Thanks! Very cute! That would be perfect! I know I''ll be at the mall when I''m there. Hopefully I''ll find something similar that is nice enough for me to wear too. I wish I would''ve thought of this sooner!
Hey, get your initial pendant from Tiffany''s!
2.gif
9.gif

http://www.tiffany.com/Shopping/CategoryBrowse.aspx?cid=288157&mcat=148204

mia1181

Brilliant_Rock
he he! I already bought her tiffany earrings that were waaay to big for her little ears, but hey I was excited! But I have to keep the price down or DH will kill me!

Oh just realized you meant for mine! Ha! Good idea!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/16/2009 11:11:00 PM
he he! I already bought her tiffany earrings that were waaay to big for her little ears, but hey I was excited! But I have to keep the price down or DH will kill me!

Oh just realized you meant for mine! Ha! Good idea!
9.gif
Yes, for YOURS!!!!

mia1181

Brilliant_Rock
10.gif
I''m quick!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results