shape
carat
color
clarity

Any thoughts on this diamond?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dinamit

Shiny_Rock
Hi All,

My darling came across this stone, any thoughts? The HCA score is 1.3 with ''ex'' for all but light return, which is ''vg''.

I am asking for help as I still can''t visualise what a stone will look like from the stats.

1.17ct I VS2
Depth: 60.3
Table: 58
Crown height: 13.8
Pavillion: 42.4

Cut: Ideal
Polish: VG
Symmetry: VG

Girdle: Thin to Medium

Thanks!
1.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/25/2009 4:40:01 AM
Author:dinamit
Hi All,

My darling came across this stone, any thoughts? The HCA score is 1.3 with ''ex'' for all but light return, which is ''vg''.

I am asking for help as I still can''t visualise what a stone will look like from the stats.

1.17ct I VS2
Table: 58
Crown height: 13.8
Pavillion: 42.4

Cut: Ideal
Polish: VG
Symmetry: VG

Girdle: Thin to Medium

Thanks!
1.gif
It appears to be a well cut stone, is it EGL graded? Is it for sale online or have you seen it in person?

dinamit

Shiny_Rock
Good morning Lorelei
1.gif

Yes, it is as an EGL USA stone - is it a no go zone? FI found it online...the price is so tempting...
3.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/25/2009 4:51:09 AM
Author: dinamit
Good morning Lorelei
1.gif

Yes, it is as an EGL USA stone - is it a no go zone? FI found it online...the price is so tempting...
3.gif
Good morning dins!
35.gif

EGL USA can be fine, what I would suggest is to make the sale final on it checking out with an independant appraisal and get it in writing that you can return it should the diamond not check out in anyway to your satisfaction.

http://www.pricescope.com/appr_list.aspx

It would be good to see an Idealscope image for this one, any chance of it if the stone is being sold online?

dinamit

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Lorelei
1.gif

Just woke up from a nap with my baby son who was up teething best part of the night...Let''s say that diamonds keep me sane, or maybe I am just kidding myself. In any case, it''s a good excuse
9.gif

I would most certainly take it to an appraiser; do you know if Adrian Smith has indeed started a thread on the UK-based ones? Also, do you own any ''I'' coloured stones? I wonder how much of a shock I will have holding it next to my ''F''...

Till later,

D.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/25/2009 7:49:47 AM
Thanks Lorelei
1.gif

Just woke up from a nap with my baby son who was up teething best part of the night...Let's say that diamonds keep me sane, or maybe I am just kidding myself. In any case, it's a good excuse
9.gif

I would most certainly take it to an appraiser; do you know if Adrian Smith has indeed started a thread on the UK-based ones? Also, do you own any 'I' coloured stones? I wonder how much of a shock I will have holding it next to my 'F'...

Till later,

D.

Awww....Glad you managed to get a nap and I hope the little guy gets his teeth without pain!

I do own a couple of I colour stones and even some lower colour than that, I think if you notice any difference it would be extremely subtle, and probably more from the side view. An I will still be very white, but the appraisal is the way to go to make sure of the grading accuracy. I will just post you some UK appraisers, I don't think he did a list as such but here are his details and those of another.

http://www.jewelleryvaluer.com/index.html

http://www.adrian-smith.co.uk/

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/igc-grading-any-opinions.116998/

dinamit

Shiny_Rock
Thanks again Lorelei,

I spoke to both Adrian and Ian in the past, I was just wondering if there were any London-based appraisers that anyone knew of, but I could always post the stone to either one of them. Glad to hear that ''I'' is still fairly white. I am funny that way, I like the stones to look white, or very obviously not, but not so keen on the inbetween.

Oh btw, I''ll be finally meeting Indira Marchant tomorrow, which I am really looking forward to!

All the best,

D.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/25/2009 9:56:01 AM
Thanks again Lorelei,

I spoke to both Adrian and Ian in the past, I was just wondering if there were any London-based appraisers that anyone knew of, but I could always post the stone to either one of them. Glad to hear that ''I'' is still fairly white. I am funny that way, I like the stones to look white, or very obviously not, but not so keen on the inbetween.

Oh btw, I''ll be finally meeting Indira Marchant tomorrow, which I am really looking forward to!

All the best,

D.
I think Pandora might know of some, I will see if I can page her for you. An I colour to me is still plenty white so I think you will be fine.

Thats great news you are meeting with Indira, please tell her I said hi!!

caesarsalad

Rough_Rock
Hi there,

Looking at the numbers, I think the crown height seems too low..
i would choose one that is at least 15%.

(hehehe .. i am not an expert.. but this is my preference...)

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/25/2009 10:44:45 AM
Author: caesarsalad
Hi there,

That is normally the the crown angle percentage as written on EGL reports, EGL don't use angles for crown and pavilion, they use percentages instead.

http://www.eglusa.com/images/d_cert2004.gif

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/25/2009 10:44:45 AM
Author: caesarsalad
Hi there,

If you couple your pref with a 58% table, you will be looking at a crown angle 35.5 and above for this stone, an FIC.

This stone is on the shallow side in the pav, I would want to know the lower girdle facet size and view it's IS image, could be good, if the optical symm is good and lgf is on the small side.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Sorry I don''t know anyone independent...

Ogdens in Burlington Arcade did the insurance appraisal for my brother''s e-ring and I thought they did a good job (I did the searching/buying for him and knew what it was worth!) but they are not ''independent'' as they are jewellers.

However they may know someone who is. Their bench does good repair/sizing work if you ever need a recommendation for that, plus their shop has some gorgeous goodies!

dinamit

Shiny_Rock
Thanks a lot Pandora, that''s really good to know!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don''t get it--when I plug in your diamond''s stats on the HCA, it doesn''t come up and says the data must be incorrect??

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/26/2009 1:00:53 AM
Author: Laila619
I don''t get it--when I plug in your diamond''s stats on the HCA, it doesn''t come up and says the data must be incorrect??
Make sure you are using the percentage option for crown and pavilion with EGL graded diamonds - not angles, this catches a lot of people out.

dinamit

Shiny_Rock
Morning again Lorelei!
1.gif

Actually I was wondering about the HCA...I have a GIA diamond with the following stats:

Table: 58 (I know, very similar to the one I am viewing in some respects!)
Crown Angle: 32.5 OR Crown %: 13.5
Pavillion Angle: 40.8 OR Pavillion %: 43

If I enter the stats in %, I get an HCA score of 0.9 with all ''ex'' apart from light return which is ''vg'', but if I enter them as angles, it scores 1 with all ''ex''s.

Do you know why that might be?

Thanks!

D.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/26/2009 5:03:12 AM
Morning again Lorelei!
1.gif

Actually I was wondering about the HCA...I have a GIA diamond with the following stats:

Table: 58 (I know, very similar to the one I am viewing in some respects!)
Crown Angle: 32.5 OR Crown %: 13.5
Pavillion Angle: 40.8 OR Pavillion %: 43

If I enter the stats in %, I get an HCA score of 0.9 with all 'ex' apart from light return which is 'vg', but if I enter them as angles, it scores 1 with all 'ex's.

Do you know why that might be?

Thanks!

D.
Good morning! Lets take a look for you....Yes this is usual that you get different results from angles and percentages, nothing to worry about. It could be a nice diamond, from the proportions I would speculate it is geared more towards white light/ brilliance especially due to the slightly shallower crown angle, can you also post the star and lower girdle facet percentages for this one too please and any chance of an Idealscope image?

dinamit

Shiny_Rock
Hello Lorelei, thanks for such a quick reply. I''m afraid you will need to give me a little bit of guidance...where can I find the stats you are after on the cert? Still have a lot to learn...

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/26/2009 5:25:17 AM
Hello Lorelei, thanks for such a quick reply. I'm afraid you will need to give me a little bit of guidance...where can I find the stats you are after on the cert? Still have a lot to learn...
No problem! Look on the diamond diagram on the right hand side of the report, you will see towards the top of the diagram a measurement which says something like 55%. That is the star percentage. Towards the bottom on the diamond diagram you will see another figure which says something like 75%, that is the lower girdle facet percentage.

You can see on this link, click on the GIA report, on the diagram you will see 55% near the top on the left hand side and lower 80% also on the left hand side, these are the measurements of star and LGF.

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/G-VS2-Premium-Cut-Round-Diamond-1249379.asp?b=16&a=12&c=77&cid=131

Also I forgot to ask, what is the cut grade for this diamond please?

dinamit

Shiny_Rock
Oh ok, they are 50% and 75%, the cut grade is very good. Dimensions 6.35 x 6.43 x 3.85, and it is 0.95.

I realised I forgot to include the dimensions of the first 1.17 EGL diamond you looked at; they are 6.87 x 6.8 x 4.12.

Hope this helps.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/26/2009 6:21:18 AM
Oh ok, they are 50% and 75%, the cut grade is very good. Dimensions 6.35 x 6.43 x 3.85, and it is 0.95.

I realised I forgot to include the dimensions of the first 1.17 EGL diamond you looked at; they are 6.87 x 6.8 x 4.12.

Hope this helps.
That looks fine thanks, what are the polish and symmetry grades and girdle thickness too please?

dinamit

Shiny_Rock
Oh, I forgot to ask...would you say that an EGL USA ''ideal'' could indeed be an ideal cut, or is it generally closer to a GIA ''very good''? Sorry, I am full of questions...

dinamit

Shiny_Rock
Gosh, you are fast!
9.gif

The GIA diamond has ''vg'' polish and symmetry, and the girdle is thin to slightly thick.

I will try to get IS for both if poss, but just from the numbers, which one would you go for?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/26/2009 6:26:40 AM
Oh, I forgot to ask...would you say that an EGL USA ''ideal'' could indeed be an ideal cut, or is it generally closer to a GIA ''very good''? Sorry, I am full of questions...
It depends on the proportions, yes you can find very well cut EGL stones but as you know it is always best to evaluate each diamond carefully rather than rely on cut grades. And no need to apologize!

dinamit

Shiny_Rock
OK. I will definitely get the stones looked at independently, it''s just that having heard EGL is often relaxed on grading colour and clarity, I wonder if it also has a reputation for being relaxed about cut grading.

So finally...from the proportions only, does one stone stand out to you?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/26/2009 6:48:24 AM
OK. I will definitely get the stones looked at independently, it's just that having heard EGL is often relaxed on grading colour and clarity, I wonder if it also has a reputation for being relaxed about cut grading.

So finally...from the proportions only, does one stone stand out to you?
I would prefer the GIA diamond personally. As for EGL cut grading they use percentages for crown and pavilion which are said to not be as accurate as angles, however GIA round the numbers so an Idealscope image is the safest way to check them out properly.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
GiA stone for me too, unless I can get to see an IS image of them both.

dinamit

Shiny_Rock
Lorelei and Stone-cold11, many thanks for your input. Once I have the IS image, I will let you know.

All the best,

D.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lorelei, the newer EGLUSA cert has the angles. Still no star and lower girdle facet numbers though. An example shown below.

Adylon_EGL.jpg

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes thanks SC, I was alluding to the diamond in this case.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results