shape
carat
color
clarity

Any suggestions on bangs?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
I think I''m going to take the plunge and get bangs after years without them. My hair is almost bra strap level now with some face framing layers. I''m going to shorten it up a bit and put in long layers and hopefully "angled bangs that blend with the rest of the hair." If anyone has any suggestions on good lengths for bangs for people with wavy hair I''d love to know.

nejarb

Shiny_Rock
My suggestion for people w/ wavy hair is NO BANGS. I''ve tried it a few times (didn''t learn my lesson the 1st time) and it''s just a frizzy mess for me. However, I do straigten my hair and I like a few longer pieces (like cheek bone length) that sort of go off to either side. Unless you''ve had bangs before and know that they work for your hair, I''d be very cautious. Also, remember you can always cut more or cut them shorter but you can''t go back if you cut too many or to short.

littlelysser

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve got to agree with Nejarb...I have wavy hair and hadn''t had bangs for years and years. Well, about five years ago, I decided I wanted bangs. and right after I got them, I remembered why I''d grown them out.

It looked HORRIBLE. I had a cowlick (sp) that made a part of my bands stand straight up and it was just awful. AWFUL.

So yeah...

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
longer hair with bangs just makes a box. i had bangs for years and then went through hell growing them out. with long hair and bangs i''d look like a walking box. i have never been tempted to cut and have bangs again. the freedom to pull that hair around my face up and back all the way is just too wonderful to give up for bangs that i have to trim every 3 weeks.

but its only hair and its your hair. it will grow back out if you decide its was the wrong thing. and you may have a face shape that is great with bangs.

movie zombie

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
I have wavy/curly hair hits about 2" past my shoulders when pulled straight. I have lots of layers, the shortest of which are about 6" long. The hair at the front of my face is part of my shortest layers and I use a roll brush to straighten the first layer to give the top of my hair some volume. I straighten what would be bangs and sweep them off to the side with a part so there is less hair on the left than on the right. The pieces frame my face w/o being actual bangs. It sounds strange but it is the best haircut I've ever had and I love it.

ETA: my point is you can have face framing w/o actually bangs which don't usually work with curly hair.

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
Yes, I know bangs with wavy hair...very risky. I''m just feeling like the top and sides are plastered to my head then the bottom fans out so I feel like a big triangle. I need more volume at the sides......so enter the idea of bangs...but worn swept to the side. My face shape is oval but my "face" features are some what large although my head size is somewhat small. I''m hoping the bangs will give more softness.

I had bangs in high school in the 80s. Really hoping they won''t look like that...I couldn''t even make "mall bangs" at that time. My hair was super curly and I had short ringlets instead of bangs. Now after a child and several years my hair is barely wavy so hopefully they would be better.

Kimberly...your cut sounds like what I am thinking. Could you post a picture?

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
I am so not technologically inclined but I will try to do so later today. I''ll have to take one first as I accidentally erased all my pictures on my camera and I don''t think I have any shots of my current style.

I used to have the same cut you are referring too. A good friend was also my stylist and all of us who went to her referred to it as "the bell." I needed more layers, it sounds like that''s what you need as well.

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
Kimberly--The 6" side pieces would be about down to your nose...is that right? I just don''t want to get my layers too short.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Okay, here''s a picture. Every one I took that I smile for I looked like a dumba** so excuse the mean face! The shortest layer at the front of my face goes to the bottom of my nose.

KHHair.jpg

robbie3982

Ideal_Rock
I have curly hair and "bangs." I don''t know if they really classify as bangs since they''re down to my mouth, but I love them. I wear them as long side swept bangs and I love them when I straighten my hair AND when I leave it curly. I think with wavy/curly hair the key is to have them long.

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/7/2006 1:04:13 PM
Author: robbie3982
I have curly hair and ''bangs.'' I don''t know if they really classify as bangs since they''re down to my mouth, but I love them. I wear them as long side swept bangs and I love them when I straighten my hair AND when I leave it curly. I think with wavy/curly hair the key is to have them long.
This may be too much to ask, but do you think it would be possible to see a picture of how your bangs look when your hair is curly? Mine is curly, too and due for a cut soon. The only other person I know with similar hair to mine has short hair and short bangs that look cute for her cut but too short for me. My hair is about an inch or two past my shoulders, and I don''t know what bangs would look like with it.

Kimberly H: Your hair looks very nice, and I like the bangs a lot!

*M*

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
lol my suggestion on bangs?

DON'T DO IT.

i am sooo not a bang-lover, on pretty much anyone unless you have stick straight hair and do a cutie pixie cut with matching bangs kinda thing like a mischa barton kinda look. she can pull it off. but other than that...i don't think they look good on very many people. even my hairdresser was agreeing recently, unless you have big beautiful amazingly intense eyes and a long forehead...they just don't work on most people. and almost especially not on those with curly hair...its too unpredictable on what your hair might do. i had bangs when i was younger and curly hair and it was a mega-disaster and i tried them a few times in diff ways..i kept trying, lol!

anyhow,just my words of bang-wisdom based on my experiences from a curly haired girl (who straightens her hair!) and now does long face-framing kinda layers instead because it's more flattering to my face shape.

ETA...kimberly you are sooo pretty girl!!! i totally was expecting a more mommy looking gal since i'm used to seeing your son in your avatar...but you are a hot mama!

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
Kimberly...Your bangs look great. About the length I was thinking. Your hair has so much more volume than my stringy waves. I''m hoping my shortening it up some I could have 1/2 the volume you do. Thanks for posting the picture!

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
Island, I have no advice since I literally have one inch of forehead (no idea why, either), but I wanted to comment on Kimberly H- you look great with bangs!! I totally think they can be done.
1.gif

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Ladies you crack me up. We see ourselves so differently than the way others view us!

Mara: He''s my nephew, not my son. I am by no means ready to be a mommy, but if and when the time comes I hope I''m still "hot" as oppsed to matronly.
9.gif
I''ve read comments from you regarding thinking you look boring due to your coloring (lots of browns) and I think you are totally exotic looking and beautiful; it''s all about the strange perceptions we have of ourselves. I think I look like a big dork!

Island: My hair is actually quite thin, I just have a lot of it. A diffuser works miracles. I use texturizer on my towel dried hair, flip it upside down and dry it most of the way, add a tiny bit more texturizer or mousse to tame friz, remove the difuser and blow out the straight parts with a 2" roll brush then hairspray the whole thing.

Amber: Thanks for the compliment, it''s really sweet of you!

I concur with Robbie, and I think what Island means is she wants longer face framing pieces as opposed to distrinct bangs, which can work on her hair type. Just don''t do straight across bangs.

Tybee

Brilliant_Rock
Kimberly,
I second what Mara said, what a cutie! I love putting a face to the name.

When scrolling down this post I was feeling pretty much the same as everyone else: Don''t do it!
But I''m all for whispy waves near the face.

I had big dark bangs for years, I tried to hide my "Italian features" with them (read BIG NOSE.)
After growing them out years ago, I can''t imagine going back.

I do have shorter layers near my face, though. They keep me from looking like a flat head.
I like Kimberly''s look. It''s not really bangs, more like whisps.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm all for not straight across bangs but more like LAYERS around the face. I don't know if that is technically bangs but I have a long swoopy layered things near the front of my face which tucks behind my ears and that's not considered bangs by my stylist. So not sure WHAT it's called but I like layers that are shorter and longer rather than what I consider bangs, which is like what I had when I was a kid...hehehe.

LOL Kimberly re: the whole how we see ourselves, totally!!! I feel so BROWN all the time and visually boring!!! But others tell me I look exotic. I'm not unhappy with my looks but sometimes I'm like wow what would it feel like to be a porcelain blonde for a day?! Just something different yanno. How did I not know that was your nephew?!?! I am such a dork. hehhe. But yeah definitely not matronly!! I love your big pretty COLORFUL eyes!!
3.gif

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/7/2006 4:47:57 PM
Author: Mara
I''m all for not straight across bangs but more like LAYERS around the face. I don''t know if that is technically bangs but I have a long swoopy layered things near the front of my face which tucks behind my ears and that''s not considered bangs by my stylist. So not sure WHAT it''s called but I like layers that are shorter and longer rather than what I consider bangs, which is like what I had when I was a kid...hehehe.

LOL Kimberly re: the whole how we see ourselves, totally!!! I feel so BROWN all the time and visually boring!!! But others tell me I look exotic. I''m not unhappy with my looks but sometimes I''m like wow what would it feel like to be a porcelain blonde for a day?! Just something different yanno. How did I not know that was your nephew?!?! I am such a dork. hehhe. But yeah definitely not matronly!! I love your big pretty COLORFUL eyes!!
3.gif
My hair went from stick straight to bundles of curls during puberty (the curls have softened as I have gotten older) and I had those same bangs. I also had crunchy hair. You all know what i''m talking about, too much mousse no difuser....BLECH!!!

Yah, I know what you mean. I''d love to have dark skin and long, straight thick hair some days. But, I am what I am and we all just have to learn to work with what we''ve got.

Tybee, you''re so sweet, and absolutely stunning from what I''ve seen (wedding pictures). Never hide the Italian nose, my DH wears his proudly.

Island, sorry for hijacking your thread.

robbie3982

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/7/2006 1:11:48 PM
Author: poptart

Date: 12/7/2006 1:04:13 PM
I have curly hair and ''bangs.'' I don''t know if they really classify as bangs since they''re down to my mouth, but I love them. I wear them as long side swept bangs and I love them when I straighten my hair AND when I leave it curly. I think with wavy/curly hair the key is to have them long.
This may be too much to ask, but do you think it would be possible to see a picture of how your bangs look when your hair is curly? Mine is curly, too and due for a cut soon. The only other person I know with similar hair to mine has short hair and short bangs that look cute for her cut but too short for me. My hair is about an inch or two past my shoulders, and I don''t know what bangs would look like with it.

Kimberly H: Your hair looks very nice, and I like the bangs a lot!

*M*
No problem at all! My hair is a bit on the weird side seeing as how the longer it is, the curlier it is, so my bangs are not as curly as the rest of my hair, more wavy I guess, but here''s one pic. My bangs reach just to the top of my upper lip if I pull them straight, but you can see that in this pic they bouce up to around my eye when they''re curly/wavy

methxgvg2k6-1.jpg

robbie3982

Ideal_Rock
Here''s one of them a bit more in my face.

Thanksgiving-in-NY-003.jpg

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Robbie honey, you have to smile more in your pics...you have a great smile.

Kimberly, you are a hottie! I totally thought you had a kid too, and figured you''d be blonde. I think out of everyone I''ve "seen" here on PS, I was probably the farthest of the mark with my image of you.

I love the hair on both you girls!

I have longish bangs. I went years without them and just had layers around my face, but one day my stylist convinced me to get them. I haven''t gone back since. My face is ROUND and it breaks up the great big circle.

The thing I hate about having any sort of fringe is that it can make or break a good hair day. Never had that problem when I didn''t have bangs.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/7/2006 10:52:44 PM
Author: TravelingGal
Robbie honey, you have to smile more in your pics...you have a great smile.

Kimberly, you are a hottie! I totally thought you had a kid too, and figured you''d be blonde. I think out of everyone I''ve ''seen'' here on PS, I was probably the farthest of the mark with my image of you.

I love the hair on both you girls!

I have longish bangs. I went years without them and just had layers around my face, but one day my stylist convinced me to get them. I haven''t gone back since. My face is ROUND and it breaks up the great big circle.

The thing I hate about having any sort of fringe is that it can make or break a good hair day. Never had that problem when I didn''t have bangs.

My avatar of my toes with my wedding and e-ring in between grossed everyone out. I was in the midst of switching computers and it was one of the few pics I had downloaded at the time, I also had the pic of my nephew. It''s false advertising, perhaps I need to change it up a bit. But I do think my nephew is too cute for words. That''s a crack up. Thanks for the compliment, coming from someone as stunning as you, I am extremely flattered.

Robbie: ditto what she said, you have an amazing smile!!!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''ve had bangs for about 3 years now... and most of the time love them. My hair isn''t wavy, more straight and fine but lots of it, and it''s very long, past my bra strap. I loved having long hair, but like you Island it always seemed to lack volume on top and then BAM there was a lot going on around my shoulders, creating that triangle look. I had my then stylist just do a side-swept bang that was long enough that I could still go bangless if I felt like it, or style them if I wanted to. It honestly changed my appearance, and I say that because so many people commented on it after I got the bangs. I think the key is to start off with a side part, and do a sweeping bang to the side, but long enough to be very versatile. My last stylist was always telling me "bangs are hard...some days you love them, some days you hate them." To me, it''s just hair, and it will grow out eventually if you decide you hate them. I think if you want volume and texture around your face, it''s the way to go...but the side-swept thing is key.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think with your texture of hair the length and overall cut is what matters. Do not do short bangs, rather do a long layer bang that can be incorporated into your hairstyle if you want. All of you are sooo cute, by the way!

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it depends how wavy (vs. curly) your hair is, face shape, etc. etc. obviously. I look MUCH MUCH better with bangs than without... I'm the exact opposite of most of the other posters, every time I grow them out a little, I remember why I cut/kept them in the first place!

Anyway, Mine are mid-nose length when pulled absolutely straight, and I do sideswept to accomodate my cowlick.

Sorry for the seriousness of this pic, one of my headshots I'm afraid. My hair is usually more wavy than this, this is post-straightening iron.

ETA: don't I look just like my avatar?
2.gif
haha

n3402871_32270842_964.jpg

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/7/2006 10:39:32 PM
Here''s one of them a bit more in my face.
Your bangs look great on you! Only problem is that my hair is about twice as curly as yours (maybe even three times), and it only gets curlier as I go shorter... so as Mara said, bangs would probably end up looking REAL funny on me. Thanks for your pics, you look so cute in them!

*M*

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/8/2006 12:22:11 AM
Author: musey
I think it depends how wavy (vs. curly) your hair is, face shape, etc. etc. obviously. I look MUCH MUCH better with bangs than without... I''m the exact opposite of most of the other posters, every time I grow them out a little, I remember why I cut/kept them in the first place!

Anyway, Mine are mid-nose length when pulled absolutely straight, and I do sideswept to accomodate my cowlick.

Sorry for the seriousness of this pic, one of my headshots I''m afraid. My hair is usually more wavy than this, this is post-straightening iron.
Are you a model? I''m totally serious... I was like, that model is gorgeous!! And then I read and it was your pic, haha!

*M*

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/8/2006 12:31:20 AM
Author: poptart
Are you a model? I'm totally serious... I was like, that model is gorgeous!! And then I read and it was your pic, haha!

*M*
awww!! Thank you! Actor, actually, that's from my very first batch of pro headshots. The makeup artist was giving me lip-service about how bangs "don't look good in pictures" and that I should style them back with a *AHEM* headband!!
23.gif
... I think my pictures look a lot better with them than they would have without.
20.gif

Mor texture, you know? I'm a texture person.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Robbie you look SO beautiful in your pictures!! I LOVE your eyebrows. Perfect shaping for your face. ...I'm not weird, I promise, I just have a pet peeve for bad eyebrows so I appreciate well-done ones
28.gif

galeteia

Brilliant_Rock
The first thing I noticed about Robbie''s pic was her great eyebrows, too!
9.gif
Good job, Robbie!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results