shape
carat
color
clarity

Any suggestions on bangs?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

robbie3982

Ideal_Rock
Thanks everyone! That's too funny about the eyebrows because for the longest time I hated how thick they were and in middle school and high school I used to tweeze them almost to non-existance for a while. Then I just gave up, let them grow completely back and just do the slightest bit of shaping. I don't think I've ever gotten eyebrow compliments before
9.gif

Thanks for the smile compliments too! I'm a bit self concious about my teeth being not as white as I'd like so I don't always smile in pics. Plus I like making funny faces
26.gif

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
Thank you everyone for the advice and pictures (Kimberly, Robbie & Musey). I went yesterday and got my first ever bangs in this century. They are definitely not my 80s bangs...they start from a point on top of my head and then form a triangle so I have fringe that is about to the end of my nose if I comb it straight down. But I wear a deep part then swoop the bangs to the side. It definitely changed the entire look of my face. I like the bangs starting from one point rather than a line on my forehead because it really makes them seem like just shorter layers. They will take some training because it''s very strange to have hair that is in my eyes. I keep pushing them back a bit. I shortened up the sides and back by a few inches and put in some more layers but not as short as the bangs. Just bringing it up a few inches gave me a lot more volume. My stylist had me use velcro rollers on the top (2 going back, 1 on each side going down then 1 for the bangs to pull out the curl). Those seem to help a lot in giving me volume plus pull out the frizz & curl without having to use the damaging curling iron all the time. I''ll be hitting Sally''s Beauty supply this weekend to get some velcro rollers of my own.

Hopefully I will still like them next week after I have to do them on my own. If they don''t work out they won''t be a real pain to grow out because of the cut.

I took some pictures last night after my son''s band concert so as soon as I can get those uploaded I''ll post a picture.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yay for bangs! It definitely will take a few days for your bangs to "calm down." The hair gets so used to having that weight on the root that when it's not there, the shorter hairs go crazy for a little while!

A lot of it can be helped by blowdrying at the root in the direction you want them to go, which will re-train the roots to grow in the "right" direction.

Can't wait to see pics! Have fun with your new hairdo!

Christa

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/7/2006 11:31:39 AM
Author: IslandDreams
Yes, I know bangs with wavy hair...very risky. I''m just feeling like the top and sides are plastered to my head then the bottom fans out so I feel like a big triangle. I need more volume at the sides......so enter the idea of bangs...but worn swept to the side. My face shape is oval but my ''face'' features are some what large although my head size is somewhat small. I''m hoping the bangs will give more softness.

I had bangs in high school in the 80s. Really hoping they won''t look like that...I couldn''t even make ''mall bangs'' at that time. My hair was super curly and I had short ringlets instead of bangs. Now after a child and several years my hair is barely wavy so hopefully they would be better.

Kimberly...your cut sounds like what I am thinking. Could you post a picture?
I agree with Kimberly that it sounds like layers are what you need, not necessarily bangs. There''s probably some technical-hairstylist-term for this cut, but I always specify that I want the layers to go deep into the thickness of my hair, not just on the surface, so that it gives it a tapered shape. If I don''t specify I end up with a thin layer on the surface layered and the rest of my thick curly mess just as triangle-y as ever.

If you have a good stylist, though, I''d just explain the triangle thing and ask what they suggest.

I haven''t read the whole thread, so sorry if I''m repeating what''s already been said.
1.gif

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/8/2006 10:09:34 AM
Author: IslandDreams
Thank you everyone for the advice and pictures (Kimberly, Robbie & Musey). I went yesterday and got my first ever bangs in this century. They are definitely not my 80s bangs...they start from a point on top of my head and then form a triangle so I have fringe that is about to the end of my nose if I comb it straight down. But I wear a deep part then swoop the bangs to the side. It definitely changed the entire look of my face. I like the bangs starting from one point rather than a line on my forehead because it really makes them seem like just shorter layers. They will take some training because it''s very strange to have hair that is in my eyes. I keep pushing them back a bit. I shortened up the sides and back by a few inches and put in some more layers but not as short as the bangs. Just bringing it up a few inches gave me a lot more volume. My stylist had me use velcro rollers on the top (2 going back, 1 on each side going down then 1 for the bangs to pull out the curl). Those seem to help a lot in giving me volume plus pull out the frizz & curl without having to use the damaging curling iron all the time. I''ll be hitting Sally''s Beauty supply this weekend to get some velcro rollers of my own.

Hopefully I will still like them next week after I have to do them on my own. If they don''t work out they won''t be a real pain to grow out because of the cut.

I took some pictures last night after my son''s band concert so as soon as I can get those uploaded I''ll post a picture.
Can''t wait to see the pics!

biblobaggins23

Shiny_Rock
i have thick, fine wavy hair/with slight curl. i got my bangs cut to look like nicole richies. however, i don''t have her large forehead. i have an oval face and my bangs looked awful and with my curl, they got in the way of everything and i had to pull them back with bobby pins all the time. it took forever for them to grow out. now, i still have bangs, but they are longer and hit my cheekbone. if you do get bangs, and you have hair like mine, if your hair is long too, get them cut to your cheekbones or lower, and slightly angled.

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
Here''s the picture after my haircut. As you can see the bangs are very long. Excuse the funny faces and shiny makeup. This picture was taken late after my son''s first band concert. We did a lot of running around and my hair got snowed on. It''s been a few days now and the hair is still working. I got 2" velcro rollers and they make a big difference in getting some volume and pulling the frizzy curl out of my new bangs. I think I might get them angled slightly next time.

hairbangsimage0010.jpg

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Island,

You always excuse your looks when you post pictures of yourself. I think you are beautiful and that you should stop doing that! I love the new hair style (much more flattering then the one in the Jennifer Alba thread). You look gorgeous and your son is a doll!!!

K

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Your hair is super cute. I love it!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think your bangs look great!

Tybee

Brilliant_Rock
Island,
it is a very flattering cut! I really love the way it frames your face, very pretty indeed.
Great choice!
You look beautiful.

Tybee

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
i like the new long layers ID...!! those aren''t technically BANGS to me. hehe.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow, it does look great. Now I''ll have to dig around for a "before" pix to compare!

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
Thanks everyone for the kind comments on my bangs or long layers whatever they are.....I think I like them.

TG--here's the before picture from April this year. It's the most recent shot I have. My new hair style has been blow dried and curled where as this picture is air drying with my natural wavy texture coming through. It was probably at least 3-4 inches longer right before I got it cut than in this picture. The picture is the day I got braces.

image0011smallerApril0606.jpg

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I actually like both styles ID...it''s nice to have a change, but your hair looks great either way.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IslandDreams--LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the bangs!
30.gif
You look beautiful!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results