shape
carat
color
clarity

Any recommendations for a good protein powder please :)

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am starting to add some more protein to my diet and I plan on adding it to a smoothie drink that is 1/2 greens and 1/2 fruit. I am looking for the protein powder to be sugar free, gluten free, dairy free, soy free and basically as hypoallergenic as possible.

I bought a single dose of garden life raw vegan protein powder (protein source is brown rice protein 17 grams of complete protein) the other day but have not tried it yet and am looking for other suggestions if possible. Though I need it to be free of so many things I am hoping it won't taste terrible but perhaps the other ingredients I am adding to it will help. I know that protein powders can taste chalky so hoping there are some vegan options out there that are decent tasting enough to add to drinks. Thanks :))

Ninna

Shiny_Rock
I like the fact the soy is a complete protein but as many, DH is allergic to it.
We add Sunwarrior's vanilla flavored 'Warrior Blend' to our smoothies. It's one of the best raw plant-based proteins out there, sweetened with stevia which allows me to use more vegetables than fruit. This vegan powder is GMO, dairy and soy free. It might be pricey for some but be aware that many cheaper products include artificial fillers and syrups.

My second favorite is Bonnet [100% whey protein Isolate Powder] organic, zero growth hormones or antibiotics. This popular one is fast-absorbing is a great post-workout or a meal replacement. :))

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
We use the Sunwarrior warrior blend in the Natural flavor.

I do not want anything extra in my protein powder and this fits the bill-pea, hemp and cranberry protein and a tiny bit of coconut oil! They recently changed their blend of protein powders to more pea and less cranberry-so it is a tiny bit grainy in my morning smoothies, but not bad enough for me to switch products though. We have used it for many years and would highly recommend it! Also, if you contact the company they will send out free samples of the products you would like to try. I like that it is 'free' of so much, you can always add in extras(vanilla, stevia, coco) but cannot take them out. Good luck, I hope you find something that fits your needs!!!

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
I use Ultimate Meal. takes some getting used to, but it is good stuff

blackprophet

Brilliant_Rock
Do you want it to be dairy free because you object to food from animals, or because you want to avoid lactose?

A product like Allmax Isoflex is a Whey Protein Isolate (derived from milk) that has no lactose. Its super high quality and it Tastes great. I love it.
VPX SRO is another really good isolate.

If you want a plant based Protein, SAN Raw Fusion and Vega One are two good options. Used Vega one for a while but it tastes horrid on its own. Never used SAN Raw Fusion, but I've heard really good things about it. Apparently its the best plan protein out there.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for all your recommendations.

Blackprophet I break out when I have dairy and am going for allergy testing in a month but as I understand it food allergies are difficult to diagnose and the best test is elimination and then add it back. A number of years back I noticed whenever I ate dairy I experienced indigestion and broke out in rosacea papules on my face so I eliminated it around 2 years ago and definitely noticed a difference.

Stepcutnut and Ninna, that's what I am looking for too. Just protein without too much additional stuff I don't need. And I need it to be easily digestible too as my system is very sensitive and I don't want to make it work any harder than it is if that makes sense.

Vapid, thanks for your recommendation. I'll look into that but I don't want a meal replacement per se -it's just that I want to add protein to my diet. I am definitely not looking to replace meals rather I would like to gain a few lbs if possible so adding this in addition to my regular meals.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My nutritionist suggested Jarrow Optimal Plant Proteins when I asked her about what to add to smoothies. It's free from all of the things you listed. I wasn't crazy about its taste but I'd get used to it if I had to go on another restricted diet. I much prefer the taste of Designer Whey but it has soy and dairy.

I feel for you missy. I had to be on no soy, dairy, citrus, coffee, nut diet for a year and it's very hard way to live. And I don't eat meat or poultry.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stepcutnut and Ninna, have either of you tried the Sunwarrior classic blend (either natural or vanilla)? I am looking at their website and the Classic protein has a lot less sodium than the Warrior blend and I am sensitive to sodium so I was wondering what you thought of the classic protein formula? Thanks again.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
baby monster|1403034521|3695151 said:
My nutritionist suggested Jarrow Optimal Plant Proteins when I asked her about what to add to smoothies. It's free from all of the things you listed. I wasn't crazy about its taste but I'd get used to it if I had to go on another restricted diet. I much prefer the taste of Designer Whey but it has soy and dairy.

I feel for you missy. I had to be on no soy, dairy, citrus, coffee, nut diet for a year and it's very hard way to live. And I don't eat meat or poultry.

Thanks for the recommendation baby monster. I am so sorry you had to go through that too. I am definitely going to check your recommendation out. :wavey:

Ninna

Shiny_Rock
missy|1403034612|3695152 said:
Stepcutnut and Ninna, have either of you tried the Sunwarrior classic blend (either natural or vanilla)? I am looking at their website and the Classic protein has a lot less sodium than the Warrior blend and I am sensitive to sodium so I was wondering what you thought of the classic protein formula? Thanks again.

Hi, if I remember correctly all of them are pretty close in sodium:
Plain has the lowest sodium at 50 mg-2% per serving [70 calories]
Vanilla is 55 mg same 2% but 10 extra calories.
Chocolate has same calories as vanilla at 45 mg-2% of sodium per serving :lickout:
If in doubt, I would call your local GNC to make sure since you are sensitive to sodium. I've called them for other things and more than once they have matched the 'online' price for me. Good Luck :wavey:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Ninna, thanks for that info. The Warrior natural blend has over 10 times the sodium as the Classic natural blend but I just ordered samples on the Sunwarrior site of both the Warrior natural, vanilla and classic natural. I am looking forward to seeing what they taste like.

The Sunwarrior rep I spoke with just now made a good point about working out and needing to replace the sodium and I do sweat a lot while working out and I do workout every day so it might be OK.

FYI The Warrior natural has 260 mg sodium and The natural classic has 25 mg sodium. The Warrior vanilla has 320 mg sodium.

Ninna

Shiny_Rock

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Ninna

Shiny_Rock
Yes, yes you're absolutely right! mine has Brown rice in it. I'm sure I had the 'blend' at one point or another hence the confussion. :))

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's totally OK Ninna, please don't give it a second thought. You are so helpful and thanks so much for all your help on this thread! I ordered the samples of the Warrior blend natural and vanilla but only the natural of the classic for some reason LOL. If you check out the nutritional facts the Warrior blend is sort of awesome. I just hope the sodium doesn't kill it for me. Thanks again! :wavy:

ETA: Just called Sunwarrior and they are out of the classic vanilla samples so she will call me when they come in so I can purchase a sample of that too.

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Missy-I have tried the classic, definitely edible. One of my other reasons for using the warrior blend is I wanted a non-rice based protein powder-being gluten free I feel like I already get enough rice in my diet as it is and didn't want to add anymore in. I am also very sensitive to sodium and haven't had any issues with the warrior blend-good luck!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
stepcutnut|1403045169|3695273 said:
Missy-I have tried the classic, definitely edible. One of my other reasons for using the warrior blend is I wanted a non-rice based protein powder-being gluten free I feel like I already get enough rice in my diet as it is and didn't want to add anymore in. I am also very sensitive to sodium and haven't had any issues with the warrior blend-good luck!

Thanks Stepcutnut. That makes sense. I am glad I ordered samples of the Warrior blend because I agree it would be nice to have variety and there is a lot of good nutrition in the Warrior blend. Fingers crossed the sodium doesn't bother me either. I might half the serving size anyway so then it would be even less of an issue.

megumic

Brilliant_Rock
We like and use usana free. It is a pea protein and is dairy soy and gluten free. Usana makes awesome products and this is no exception!

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
Egg white protein is my protein powder of choice.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you megumic and crickett. Lots of good suggestions in this thread and I am looking forward to sampling a lot of smoothies. :lickout:

We had a yummy smoothie last night (albeit no protein powder added yet). Kale, chard, baby spinach, blueberries, banana, pineapple and a 1/4 avocado and walnuts and lots of ice. OMG so creamy, smooth and delicious. I shared it with my dh. And when it's this hot outside it's the perfect way to cool down. :bigsmile:

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
I use Nutiva's hemp protein powder, the 15g of protein one.

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
The egg white comes in Vanilla, chocolate and Unflavored. It has a mild taste, not to bad and mixes well with almond milk! (especially the vanilla :naughty: :lickout: )

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How much protein do you get every day?

Thanks lknvrb4 and crickett.

Does anyone know how much protein one needs? I know it has something to do with weight and activity level. I think there must also be room for individual variation because I never feel good when I get too much. I prefer carbs and that's why I have difficulty getting enough protein. The thing is different sources have different info regarding this info. Wondering how much protein PSers get.

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
If you should decide to go the egg white protein route, I would try a small one. I used to use it and well, it made me extremely gassy if you know what I mean. :oops:

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
lknvrb4|1403171071|3696392 said:
If you should decide to go the egg white protein route, I would try a small one. I used to use it and well, it made me extremely gassy if you know what I mean. :oops:

It doesn't make me gassy, but it does make my sister gassy whenever she uses it. I would definitely try a small amount first!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ckrickett|1403207761|3696716 said:
lknvrb4|1403171071|3696392 said:

It doesn't make me gassy, but it does make my sister gassy whenever she uses it. I would definitely try a small amount first!

Thanks guys. Duly noted.

Lulie

Shiny_Rock
According to my dietician, @54.5 kilograms I need 43.6 g of protein if I'm not very active and up to 90 grams of protein if I'm going for a hike. So apparently activity rules over age and body weight?
I know that if I have a starchy meal with very little protein in no time I'm reaching for sweets. I was also told that 10% of my daily calorie intake had to be protein. I was way too busy to count calories but understood the importance of protein for my aching condition back then.
I keep a large see through canister filled with raw almonds, pistachios and dry roasted peanuts on the counter for all to snack on. I've noticed that by the time dinner is ready we all eat much less.
Chia seed is my new friend! I'm taking 2 Tablespoons per day [4g protein] in smoothies, iced tea or any 8-16 oz of tasty fluid. I no longer add protein powder to my smoothies, I've discovered all sorts of lentils and such. Best of Luck!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Lulie! I definitely need to get more protein in my diet. Thank you for the info and I love seeds and beans too. Chia seeds here I come. :lickout:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am bumping up this thread for anyone who is looking for a good protein powder. I have found the most delicious protein powder finally.
Trader Joe's Organic Pea Protein unsweetened.
OMG it is yummy if you like the texture of peas. I am a fan. I have always loved pea soup and it's thick texture and I got this TJ Pea protein a few weeks ago and have already gone through a whole container. I add it to my TJ Butternut squash thin soup and voila it's a thick delicious pea soup and nutritious too.
A complete protein (20 grams) with calcium and iron.

Screen Shot 2021-06-09 at 6.03.04 AM.png

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for the recommendation @missy! Would you add this pea protein to a fruit smoothie or do you think it is only suited for savory uses?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results