shape
carat
color
clarity

Any recommendations for a good protein powder please :)

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for the recommendation @missy! Would you add this pea protein to a fruit smoothie or do you think it is only suited for savory uses?

I was thinking of this very question and I just don't know. I might try it and then I will share my thoughts here but I think it is best suited for savory vs sweet. But I am tempted to try it out for myself.

In the meantime flavorless protein powder is good for smoothies and to that end I recommend Vital Protein Collagen Peptides. It has no taste whatsoever but does pack a nutritional protein and collagen punch. It is not vegan however.

vitalproteincollagen.jpg

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the suggestion @missy , I am always looking for a nice vegan protein powder option. I am currently using PEScience(pea and brown rice) in my smoothies and think the texture and flavor work well in them. I usually do not like the texture of brown rice protein powder as it is a bit grainier, this doesn’t seem too bad that way.

Also, Code Age and Vital Proteins also have nice Marine collagen peptide powder for those looking for who cannot tolerate Beef products.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the suggestion @missy , I am always looking for a nice vegan protein powder option. I am currently using PEScience(pea and brown rice) in my smoothies and think the texture and flavor work well in them. I usually do not like the texture of brown rice protein powder as it is a bit grainier, this doesn’t seem too bad that way.

Also, Code Age and Vital Proteins also have nice Marine collagen peptide powder for those looking for who cannot tolerate Beef products.

I am leery of the Marine collagen because "Marine" is a blanket term for any aquatic creature whether it be a jellyfish, shellfish, or shark — these sources are not easy for the body to absorb.

Plus, personally I had mercury poisoning a few years ago and I am super careful about what fish I ingest.

Another good collagen that receives consistently high marks is Great Lakes Collagen Hydrolysate Pure Unflavored Protein. I have never tried this one but in all my research it comes out in the top few.

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Fortunately both the companies I listed for the marine collagen can offer you a list of sources for the protein and mercury testing results if requested. For most marine peptides are slightly more bioavailable vs bovine.

I have tried the Great Lakes brand and am actually intolerant to it being bovine(or porcine) they used to have both options available. Thus the marine collagen now being my only option and having been research greatly. I also have toxic element testing done every year and have thankfully never had a mercury issue after using these products for years.

Last edited:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fortunately both the companies I listed for the marine collagen can offer you a list of sources for the protein and mercury testing results if requested. For most marine peptides are slightly more bioavailable vs bovine.

I have tried the Great Lakes brand and am actually intolerant to it being bovine(or porcine) they used to have both options available. Thus the marine collagen now being my only option and having been research greatly. I also have toxic element testing done every year and have thankfully never had a mercury issue after using these products for years.

I am glad you have found what works well for you. May I ask you what the toxic element testing is that you have done? I have not been able to retest mercury for the past 2 years because Lab Corp and Quest seem to have dropped the important mercury test. Thanks.

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
@missy LabCorp still has options available to test mercury unless you are in one of the few areas that have changed availability, which you may be since I do not know your location. Also Genova Diagnostics has a few options available as a kit draws with a providers orders. Genova has a nice large panel that includes the toxic elements along with nutrient testing which is very useful as well- NutrEval plasma. Good Luck, so challenging to have to be your own advocate for all health care needs, it gets exhausting.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy LabCorp still has options available to test mercury unless you are in one of the few areas that have changed availability, which you may be since I do not know your location. Also Genova Diagnostics has a few options available as a kit draws with a providers orders. Genova has a nice large panel that includes the toxic elements along with nutrient testing which is very useful as well- NutrEval plasma. Good Luck, so challenging to have to be your own advocate for all health care needs, it gets exhausting.

Thank you. And truth.

It’s exhausting on so many levels. Constant vigilance and checking and rechecking (doctors making mistakes) and advocating for oneself. At times it feels like a battle.

Wishing you good health and a smooth path ahead. ❤️

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
@missy Thank you! It has been quite a health journey thus far and really feels like an uphill battle most of the time, but giving up is not an option so on we go :) Hugs to you and also wishing you good health and perseverance!!!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy Thank you! It has been quite a health journey thus far and really feels like an uphill battle most of the time, but giving up is not an option so on we go :) Hugs to you and also wishing you good health and perseverance!!!

Thank you! And yes, perseverance is key. No matter the challenges thrown at us we cannot give up and we do the best we can...one day at a time and when that seems overwhelming we take it one hour at a time. ((((Hugs)))) to you too.

risingeachtimewefall.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results