shape
carat
color
clarity

Any reason to prefer GIA vs EGL???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

reg

Rough_Rock
Looking at various internet sellers. I had a local diamond guy tell me to go only with GIA, but is there truly any reason to shy away from a diamond if it is EGL rated?

Thanks

Reg

dfb

Rough_Rock
I am sure those that know a great deal more than I will weigh in for you - but it is my understanding that EGL has a historical reputation for being more liberal in their grading practices - meaning an EGL graded stone is likely to not grade as ''high'' on the GIA ratings

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes I think I read that too. I think they might grade a little bit too generously.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yup, stick with either GIA or AGS if you don''t know what you''re doing. They are both safer and if you buy a "G VS2" it is much more likely to be actually a "G VS2" than if you go with EGL.

Also, EGL will grade diamonds IN a mount AND will grade clarity enhanced stones. Most in the business would agree that those practices are not good ones and can result in a client not getting what they pay for.

Best to stick with GIA or AGS.

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
GIA or AGS. More strict and conservative in their gradings.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/13/2007 3:16:39 PM
Author: surfgirl
GIA or AGS. More strict and conservative in their gradings.
Ditto, some have found their EGL stones to be a grade off in color or clarity.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
You may find it helpful to read here, which adds perspective vis-a-vis value vs yield (though the text should be updated, since it says just below the 2004 data table: "not all AGS 0’s score excellent or very good..." and this is more formerly true.

The main related thing...since even with overrated color or clarity, bargains can be had...is...why would the agent who sends the diamond to the certifying agency...why would he send it to EGL vs GIA (or AGS). Purposeful reasons can be asserted, and time spent mining non-mainstream avenues can always yield good deals, but unless you've got loads of time, and if you appreciate the focus here on cut...a thought is that better goods are sent to "better" certifying agencies. This...as a pattern. If true, this info can be used to help narrow your options...which are already pretty broad based on these 2 agencies to begin with.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The one thing you can generally count on is that diamonds graded by EGL are somewhat discounted based on the belief that the grades are a little looser than AGS or GIA. Occasionally, a diamond graded by EGL is very must graded like a GIA or AGS lab graded it and that particular diamond might be a better value than expected. Now, this is a rather rare occurence, but we have found it occasionally. I believe the cut study posted on Pricescope of the 17 diamonds submitted to the various labs brought out this point in its findings.

So, it isn''t all a bad story. Proper shopping and looking can reward an open minded consumer on occasion. No lab is 100% accurate in color or clarity grading. They do the best they can with their eyes, but the "standards" are subjective judgments.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results