shape
carat
color
clarity

Any really good consignment jewelers in Dallas?

DominaMusica

Rough_Rock
Hi, I'm a first time poster, but I have been loving this site for years. I can't get over the wonderful research and the beautiful pictures.

Does anyone have a great consignment jeweler in Dallas that they can recommend?

I have a beautiful 1.70 modern brilliant cut diamond solitaire in platinum that I would like to consign, after 5 years of not being able to wear it because it just does not fit my fingers. I have considered having it reset, but the only settings I like are antique, and the modern cut is too tall to fit in the settings that are comfortable. I'm a professional musician, and the modern setting not only spins and annoys me but is too tall for comfort when playing.
I have an appraisal, and the IGL certificate from the jeweler. Do you think I should post a picture?

My hope is to take the funds and apply them towards an antique ring, so if anyone has great recommendations for dealers or shows in the Dallas area for unique antiques, that would be great!

We have had TERRIBLE luck with local jewelers. The store we bought my wedding band (which also doesn't fit - guess which finger I never wore rings on prior to getting married?) from (Mayors) went out of business, so we can't return there. The store from which the engagement ring came...well, that's a long, frustrating story, but I can tell it if anyone needs to hear. Suffice to say, they aren't interested, and we don't want to trade up from here, but rather down.

Thanks for your recommendations and your stories! I wish with all my heart we had bought estate/antique to start with.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well- most consumers will want a GIA report orAGS report so that they can be sure that the carat, cut, color, and clarity are accurate as that has a huge impact on the retail and second hand value/price of the ring. Does tour stone have an EGL or IGI report? I've never heard if IGL. Once you accurately confirm the details of the stone via GIA or AGS, you could then see if JbEG would take it as consignment.

DominaMusica

Rough_Rock
My typo! It's an EGL certificate/report, I'm not sure which term is correct. Who is JbEG? Thanks for your reply!

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
DominaMusica|1320527430|3054751 said:
My typo! It's an EGL certificate/report, I'm not sure which term is correct. Who is JbEG? Thanks for your reply!

EGL tend to be more lax with their grading of stones so definitely look into sensing it to GIA. An H VS1 EGL stone is typically graded J SI1/2 by GIA so the lab grading your stone will impact the pricing. Many insist on only buying GIA or AGS graded stones...

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Outstanding antique rings:

http://www.singlestone.com/index.php?page=home

You might consider having your current stone recut into a smaller, antique cut. I am not sure if they do recuts, but this vendor specializes in newly cut OEC's and cushions. They are called August Vintage stones on the site. You might want to call them to ask. I think you might lose less money doing a recut than selling on consignment and then buying another ring. They also have tons of antique style settings and we could point you to even more. But if your desire is to really have a true antique ring, I can understand that, too!

http://www.goodoldgold.com/Home/

DominaMusica

Rough_Rock
I never thought of having this stone cut down, just reset, but that's certainly something to consider.

I am utterly in love with the SingleStone website and settings, but think they might exceed my budget. I guess I may have to just consider, for budgetary reasons, trying to find an antique stone that fits this setting. I wish SingleStone was closer, I know their quality is superb, but it looks like all the insured shipping back and forth would really add up fast. But their settings are exquisite.

We just had a TERRIBLE experience with the jeweler who sold us this ring in Dallas. They were very pushy, and the only reason we went though with it was the sunk costs in my first diamond ring from them, which was so poorly done the first time they made it that they redid it. Being young and intimidated, we accepted that original ring but were never happy with the quality or the setting. They had a policy of applying the original funds to an upgrade, which seemed like the right thing to do at the time. But again, though we liked the diamond itself, they totally ignored our requests and complaints on the quality of the setting, and made a big deal about how they were "throwing in" the platinum setting for free, even though it was not what we asked for. Again, intimidated, we took our ring and left, and now of course know that we have no recourse, and spent so much money that I feel guilty even asking my husband about spending money for a THIRD engagement setting. (Not guilty enough not to plan to do it, though!). It's sad to me to have a lovely diamond that I can't wear comfortably.
They also told us we didn't need a GIA certificate. Wouldn't you know it? :sick:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sadly we hear a lot of stories like that. I am sorry but most of us make some mistakes before we find PriceScope! I found PS when I was looking for a diamond for our 30th anniversary! So be glad you found it now! Although the biggest help here is learning about cuts of diamonds and where to buy ideal cut stones. Antique stones are more difficult for sure. Selling diamonds usually results in a loss, although we are seeing some ideal cut stones selling at a profit now due to diamond prices being high. It is a good time to sell. You might use the price search on this forum (under resources) to see what EGL stones similar to yours are selling for now. Since the grading is different, don't compare it to GIA. Then you will have an idea of retail and know that an offer from a jeweler might be half or so depending on whether the diamond is desirable for them to buy for their inventory. Consignment might yield a similar amount depending on the commission.

DominaMusica

Rough_Rock
That is my favorite ring and wedding set that I've ever seen on PS - it's just glorious! I wonder if SingleStone would just do a setting for me? It's worth an email, though based on their website I fear they are out of my price range. But what stunning, understated and antique-y jewelry!

Yes, PS is an incredible place, I lurk here far too often. And if I knew then a quarter of what I've learned so far, it would have been such a better buying (and wearing experience).

I guess there are no Dallas jewelers that can hold a candle to SingleStone...

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
My family has both sold and purchased through Margaret Gronberg at The Jewelry Gallery over the past few decades. Always been excellent to work with.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
JBEG also has antique setting so you can check them out. I'm not sure how they would compare to SS but I think they would be cheaper.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
My understanding is that Singlestone will set outside stones in their settings. Kelpie's diamond was bought from another vendor, and sent to SS for a recut and setting.

I think SS's prices are reasonable.

DominaMusica

Rough_Rock
JBEG and SingleStone are my favorite jewelry designers, though I also love Cathy Waterman and Sethi Couture.

The SingleStone settings just absolutely capture my heart, they are so timeless. I think maybe I'll write to them for a possible quote! It never hurts to ask. Maybe they wouldn't even need to recut the stone, and could just set it lower in a curvy, antique style setting. The H color of the stone has never bothered me. I actually really like the "warmth" of a lot of antique stones that I know are even darker than H, but I just think they look dramatic.

The Jewelry Gallery is quite close to where I live! I tried to find them on my way home for work today, but I think they must be inside a building. I have a girlfriend who has bought some pieces there. I texted her to ask her to take me later this week. Thanks for the suggestion!
I'm sure there are boutique designers (like SingleStone) somewhere in Dallas, but no one seems to know them, and I don't live in the ultra-fabulous areas like Highland Park where they might be more likely to be located.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results