shape
carat
color
clarity

Any problem with ultrasonic & closed pendant setting?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

2Bmarried

Rough_Rock
I''ve been trying to find information on what the preferred method of cleaning a pendant would be. I use the Sharper Image ultrasonic on my fiancee''s engagement ring & I''m looking into buying a (cheapie) home steam cleaner (converted cappuccino machine) from ebay for the ring as well. I''ve been looking at getting her a diamond and having it set in a pendant. I really like some of the bezel and closed settings, but I''m just concerned about water / cleaning fluid getting under or behind the diamond and causing corrosion to the white gold. Is there any valid concern to this? Anybody who has a good way to clean "closed-style" pendants please voice your opinions. Thanks!

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Call me nuts, but if it's bezel, would there NOT be any space between the diamond and the actual metal around it? That way if it WAS totally closed off by the girdle of the stone, wouldn't water in the gold NOT be an issue. Also, I don't think water does anything to gold...? I am not always so nuts about the Windex idea (because chemicals may have a long term impact) but my friend has used soap and water on her ring (18K yellow gold) for at least 10 years, No problem! I hope someone can tell us if water effects gold, but i don't think it does...

2Bmarried

Rough_Rock
I'm not as concerned about the water as I am about the ammonia I add to the ultrasonic. I was actually looking at some of the Stuller pendants (#2937, 2939, 20932, 20935, 21044, 21054) to give you an idea. From the pictures, I can't tell if it's open behind the diamond or sealed. Obviously I'd be having a jeweler or other professional set the stone in the pendant, so it has to get in there somehow. I'm just wondering how it really sets in there. Is there "breathing room" for the area around / behind the diamond to get completely dry & ammonia free??

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
My half bezel, and most bezel sets I've seen are open in the back. Some are totally open, and others have "scroll" type backs. The metal work on the back has openings in it. The metal touching the girdle is totally closed. The cleaning solution can drain off the diamond or out the back of the setting.
1.gif

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
My bezel set pendant is open in the back, and I use an ammonia mix on it all the time. So far I haven't had any problems with getting it dry (I used a hairdryer sometimes) or with any type of reaction with the metal. I've never seen a bezel setting that wasn't open in the back. There might be some, but I think they are uncommon.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Don't buy a setting that isn't open in the back! You'll never get the stone clean. It'll be like a lobster trap for dirt, or a roach motel--once the dirt finds its way in, it'll never get out again.

Griffin

Shiny_Rock
Any good setting should be open in back, so I wouldn't worry about that.

As for cleaning, add some ammonia to the ultrasonic and it will really work well.
Despite what some platinum sellers claim, white gold doesn't corrode, explode, or molest small children. If it's 14k or better, it will happily withstand exposure to any chemical that wouldn't outright kill you instantly, and many that would. Don't even worry about jewelry cleaning solutions!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results