shape
carat
color
clarity

Any PriceScopers in Dubai???

BlingObsession

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Hi - I will be moving to Dubai in June and I was wondering if there are any PSrs there who can advise me where the best place is to have my jewellery set (currently living in Singapore with a fabulous inexpensive jeweller who customs sets all my gems). Also some advice on any potential issues with buying stones online and having them shipped to Dubai?

Any thoughts or suggestions would be hugely appreciated - I'm not sure how I'll cope if I can't continue to feed my obsession!

:wavey:

sonyachancs

Shiny_Rock
so sorry to hear you're moving! when will it be? maybe we could have a coffee and I could discuss my set with you :D would be nice to speak to someone about jewelry!

and good luck about everything!

BlingObsession

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Hi Sonya - end of May is the official date (at the moment) - I'm a bit sad too but very much looking forward to the change - we have been here 12+ years.

I am travelling for the next month but when I'm back, perhaps we can meet up for coffee - arrange to meet outside a particular jewellery shop at a specified date and time (other PSrs can come too) and we can have a bling fest before I leave!

:Up_to_something:

sundance

Rough_Rock
You might not even have to buy online in Dubai. They have the best pricing on gold and diamonds. Soo insanely jealous that you will be moving there!! I am sure you will love it. Good luck on the move :)

BlingObsession|1391407031|3606835 said:
Hi - I will be moving to Dubai in June and I was wondering if there are any PSrs there who can advise me where the best place is to have my jewellery set (currently living in Singapore with a fabulous inexpensive jeweller who customs sets all my gems). Also some advice on any potential issues with buying stones online and having them shipped to Dubai?

Any thoughts or suggestions would be hugely appreciated - I'm not sure how I'll cope if I can't continue to feed my obsession!

BlingObsession

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Wow - really? Everything I've read online and on PS indicates that the USA is still cheaper than pretty much anywhere else to buy diamonds and that all the info on cut grading / imaging, etc. is again pretty much exclusive to the USA.

I have found that when I've gone into jewellers in the UK, Australia and various countries in Asia - I know way more than the average salesperson about gems and diamonds. It will be interesting to see when I get to Dubai. I'll certainly report back on PS with my findings, that's for sure.

Any Pricescopers actually living there at the moment who can put me out of my misery?

BlingObsession

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Am I the only one???? It would be nice to have a gem pal here =)

akoya

Shiny_Rock
wow wow
can u share with me whom u went for yr jewellery setting in Singapore? is the price reasonable? any eg to give?
thanks!

BlingObsession

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Hi Akoya

I used Kris at Jewelry Point - he's located in Far East Plaza on Scotts Road.

Sonya also used him recently - here's her post:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/i-set-my-ammy-and-wave-to-blingobsession.208464/

I always found his work to be of the highest standard and his prices were very competitive particularly given the superior quality of his work. He is very honest and trustworthy - a very humble man.

The price he quotes you for the work you want done is always his "best price" - if the price is too high then he suggests ways to alter the design the bring the price down. Do make sure you give him plenty of time to make what you want as he does the work himself. Make sure to clarify with him whether you will be paying cash or credit card as he has to build the credit card fees into his pricing. Getting that on the table straight away, saves misunderstandings down the line.

Good luck and don't forget to come back to the forum with feedback.

JamesW

Rough_Rock
My partner picked up some gold jewellery a lot cheaper in the 'Gold Souk' when we were there. Didn't look at diamonds or anything, as it's not the most pleasant place to spend a lot of time... On another note, the Dubai Mall is amazing. Make sure to visit!

akoya

Shiny_Rock
Hi BlingObsession!

Have u heard of Yuen Tung or Yuen Thong... something... at Defu lane area... hk 'master' :tongue: doing the wk... i will check out that co too. if u never recommend, i dont think i dare to go into Far East :tongue:

Thank you

jmenzies

Rough_Rock
I used to live there. If you go to the big Malls, you can buy anything high end in terms of jewellery (Tiffany, Cartier ect) but you'll be paying a Dubai-high price for it.

You need to head to the old side of Dubai for the souks where they have diamonds and gold - and unless you are comfortable grading the diamond yourself I really wouldn't trust making a purchase there at all. I am sure if you know what you are doing and don't have to rely on relevant certificates to guide you - you could get a very good deal after a lot of negotiation.

BlingObsession

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thanks Jmenzies. I wouldn't buy gemstones or diamonds here - I know enough to know that I don't know nearly enough - if you know what I mean?

I am more interested in finding a good jeweler who can make my settings for me. I went to Cara and they were ok but so busy and a lot like shopping in a hypermarket. Not the quality one-on-one service that I am used to. I have been spoilt I think.

jmenzies

Rough_Rock
I know what you mean! So many people go there to get good deals and must get ripped off. Even the spice market they try to rip you off - they'll put saffron in water to show you the qualify but what they do is layer tubs with good quality saffron on the top and poor underneath so when you agree they take it from the same tub but the bottom!

The Dubai model is built on low paid workers flogging high class goods in the malls with the occasional expert charging ridiculous fees for more bespoke services to the super rich with the other extreme in old dubai where they make cheap things and sell them cheap (or in the case of fakes, probably the highest price you'll ever see) - it is hard to find a middle ground in Dubai, service is generally very poor and you don't have any decent legal standing to get refunds, things changed ect. You'll find a lot of things get outsourced back to the US/Europe (so if you go to a jeweller you'll get a typical imported Dubai worker who is very polite but essentially has to operate within a script and actual work is done elsewhere).

If you do want to try, I'd suggest the less exclusive malls might be a good place to look - perhaps Inb Batuta Mall (about 10 minutes taxi ride from Dubai Marina/JBR towards Jebel Ali) - it is a very nice mall but not as flash. When you are tapped into the expat community you'll probably get better more up-to-date recommendations and might get lucky that way.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results