shape
carat
color
clarity

Any Ostby Barton lovers? Check this ring out!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I stumbled upon this ring on Mercari last night, it had sold for $525, the diamond is a 60 point old mine cut according to the seller, so someone got a great deal. If anyone has any Ostby Barton pieces please share them!

IMG_8927.jpg

IMG_8928.jpg

IMG_8929.jpg

IMG_8930.jpg

IMG_8931.jpg

IMG_8932.jpg

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
Ugh that kills me, when you see something on IG that was half the price on Ruby Lane. I wanted a very distinctive gold wedding band, it sold, and then a week later it was on IG for 2x the cost.
I loved the Otsby Barton pieces, and Uncas, et al.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Of course I have one!
My Italian Nana had a signet ring that she received for her 16th birthday, in 1919. She gave that ring to me when I was a teenager.
Somehow, I lost track of that ring during my divorce.:cry2:
So I went hunting on eBay for a similar one, and found this one. The original ring had "MC". This one just has "C".
BTW, Mr. Ostby died on the Titanic!
IMG_20200703_101129.jpg IMG_20200703_095910.jpg

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@stracci2000, wow 1919, that's pretty cool so sorry you lost it though. I do love the intricate designs on the OB pieces, they are usually very small size rings though!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
so sorry you lost it though

Yeah, it still makes me really mad, 20 years later!
There was a certain jewelry box that somehow got lost in the shuffle.
When I asked about it's whereabouts, I never really got a good answer, so I let it go.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah, it still makes me really mad, 20 years later!
There was a certain jewelry box that somehow got lost in the shuffle.
When I asked about it's whereabouts, I never really got a good answer, so I let it go.

Ugh that just makes me so mad for you! You know even if you have a lot of jewelry it can be just one piece that you lost that sticks with you.

For me it's my mother's wedding set, stolen from our condo in 2003, still haunts me.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ugh that just makes me so mad for you! You know even if you have a lot of jewelry it can be just one piece that you lost that sticks with you.

For me it's my mother's wedding set, stolen from our condo in 2003, still haunts me.

Your mom's rings were more precious than my nana's ring. To have them stolen is just heartbreaking.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@stracci2000, well I hate to say one is more precious than another, they both had an important place in our lives. I'm pretty well over it finally but for a long time I looked for them on Ebay.

The really twisted thing is we were having company over (this guy DH knew from work) he was loss control for Home Depot. As I was cleaning our room a voice told me to put the dish of jewelry in the drawer.

I didn't listen to my inner voice.

To this day I don't know if it was the guy from work or our neighbor who mysteriously disappeared after his unit went into foreclosure.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sometime ago I picked up this pretty Ostby Barton ring. I bought it for the setting; I was going to sub out the 5.5mm pink sapphires (likely synthetic), but then decided against that project and now it languishes in my jewelry box. Beautifully crafted, Ostby Barton made quality pieces.

1593877212601.jpeg

1593877228924.jpeg

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pretty ring @marymm, love the pink!

Smith3

Shiny_Rock
That’s such a cool ring! I love old mine cuts

Rubymal

Shiny_Rock
Sometime ago I picked up this pretty Ostby Barton ring. I bought it for the setting; I was going to sub out the 5.5mm pink sapphires (likely synthetic), but then decided against that project and now it languishes in my jewelry box. Beautifully crafted, Ostby Barton made quality pieces.

1593877212601.jpeg

1593877228924.jpeg

That one is gorgeous! Do you mind if I ask ballpark how much you paid? There's one that looks similar on ebay, but feels a little overpriced to me.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
^ Let me put it this way ... it is entirely possible that an Ostby Barton toi et moi is listed on LT for $245 which coincidentally is a bit less than the price paid for it ... hope that info helps!

Rubymal

Shiny_Rock
^ Let me put it this way ... it is entirely possible that an Ostby Barton toi et moi is listed on LT for $245 which coincidentally is a bit less than the price paid for it ... hope that info helps!

Super helpful! I was thinking for a piece from that time period, with that style should roughly be around $300. There is one on ebay that is double that price, I felt in my gut it was a bit high :)

mandao

Rough_Rock
I stumbled upon this ring on Mercari last night, it had sold for $525, the diamond is a 60 point old mine cut according to the seller, so someone got a great deal. If anyone has any Ostby Barton pieces please share them!

IMG_8927.jpg

IMG_8928.jpg

IMG_8929.jpg

IMG_8930.jpg

IMG_8931.jpg

IMG_8932.jpg

I am the one who bought this ring. I am in awe that I own it. I will have it restored and will keep it forever!!

mandao

Rough_Rock
Right? Was underpriced for what it is but hey hopefully someone who really loves it bought it and not a reseller.

I bought the ring and will keep it as is. I am in love with this ring and the history.

mandao

Rough_Rock

IMG_8927.jpg

IMG_8928.jpg

IMG_8929.jpg

IMG_8930.jpg

IMG_8931.jpg

IMG_8932.jpg

I am the person who bought this ring. I am in love with it and its history and will keep it unchanged. 15963043121915451053177442096188.jpg

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I bought the ring and will keep it as is. I am in love with this ring and the history.

I'm so glad that you posted and that it went to a good home!

We would love to see handshots if you are inclined :wavey:

mandao

Rough_Rock
I'm so glad that you posted and that it went to a good home!

We would love to see handshots if you are inclined :wavey:
Of course. Story of it for me is the day my dad passed away my husband bought this for me. Our first date was to watch Titanic (I am in love with the story) we have been married 20 years.

15963046437688349763002360285499.jpg 15963046615115863100945491144237.jpg

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a special piece this is for you @mandao! I have to tell you that the setting on this is just amazing and it looks great on you!

mandao

Rough_Rock
What a special piece this is for you @mandao! I have to tell you that the setting on this is just amazing and it looks great on you!

Thank you it is such an amazing piece and I am so thankful to have it and the new memories I'll make with it.

Smith3

Shiny_Rock
What a great story this turned out to be! Congrats it’s beautiful!

mandao

Rough_Rock
Thank you. Im so in love with it...

ikeamonkeycoat

Rough_Rock
hello! I came across this thread while researching the ring my boyfriend and I bought together. I found the OB mark (with the maltese cross) and was stunned to find out the history behind it. I am a big lover of antique jewelry and this piece is breathtaking.

the place I bought it from didn't mention anything about OB and I don't think they knew how much more valuable it was based on that alone. very interesting. (it's our engagement ring, so it wasn't cheap either as you can imagine). happy to show more photos or a video if people want to see it.

what is also of note is I have not seen many OB pieces quite like this in terms of having such a large diamond (2.2 carats, old european cut) so I wonder if it was custom made for a special client. I would love to figure out more of the history.. the company I bought it from said their source was an estate sale on long island in nyc

17623d.jpg 17623a.jpg 17623-3.jpg

Last edited:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, well that is pretty fabulous! It is possible that the ring originally held a different stone (spinel or lab ruby or sapphire) and was replaced with the diamond or like you said it might have been custom.

Whatever the case it is gorgeous!

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
hello! I came across this thread while researching the ring my boyfriend and I bought together. I found the OB mark (with the maltese cross) and was stunned to find out the history behind it. I am a big lover of antique jewelry and this piece is breathtaking.

the place I bought it from didn't mention anything about OB and I don't think they knew how much more valuable it was based on that alone. very interesting. (it's our engagement ring, so it wasn't cheap either as you can imagine). happy to show more photos or a video if people want to see it.

what is also of note is I have not seen many OB pieces quite like this in terms of having such a large diamond (2.2 carats, old european cut) so I wonder if it was custom made for a special client. I would love to figure out more of the history.. the company I bought it from said their source was an estate sale on long island in nyc

17623d.jpg 17623a.jpg 17623-3.jpg

Yes! Post more pics!!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m thinking this looks like an Ostby hallmark and that the bottom of the B and the dot after it got worn down.

What do you guys think? @PreRaphaelite @stracci2000 and anyone else who would like to weigh in =)2

BF004A64-8061-4FFC-8538-E76DC0A55A3C.jpeg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results