shape
carat
color
clarity

Any opinons on this?

Dagger9903

Rough_Rock
So I have been looking at diamonds for the past couple of weeks and could really use some support. I found this one very early in my search: http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/8175/

I had it shipped to a local appraiser and viewed it in person. It's very beautiful but definitely VS2 with an inclusion that I can find with a loupe (but don't think I can see it with the naked eye). I've asked the appraiser to confirm/check the AGS Color/Clarity against his own opinion, just waiting to hear back on this.

I've also looked at set diamonds at Tiffany's (which are also stunning), and other loose diamonds at a local wholesaler (which also had nice diamonds).

The cost for the GOG product is right around $34k loose, which seems decent compared to the local merchant and much better than Tiffanys. At Tiffanys, for the same price, I can only get about a 1.75c diamond (set). The local merchant wanted closer to 39k for a very comparable diamond but VS1. However, with a loupe I could also see the inclusions (maybe I have good eyes?).

I think the fire/brilliance/scintillation/etc are great in all three cases (GOG, Tiffany's, local) but wanted to get some thoughts on this GOG diamond as that's where I'm leaning towards now. Here is a video of the GOG diamond as well: http://vimeo.com/26127258

Thank you so much for your thoughts!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is a beautiful stone and a great size!

stci

Ideal_Rock
It's a beauty but really expensive IMO. I know it's a superior but over 30K it's outch!

nfowife

Brilliant_Rock
That is a beautiful stone. VS does not mean you can't see anything under a loupe. In fact you are supposed to be able to find the inclusions at 10x with a VS stone:
https://www.pricescope.com/wiki/diamonds/diamond-clarity/
To not see inclusions with a loupe you are looking at going up to the VVS clarity level.

In terms of price comparison, this stone will be gorgeous in any setting and if you don't care about Tiffany branding, is likely a better stone that what you are going to get at Tiffany's, though they sell beautiful stones there as well- certainly no duds but not every stone is necessarily a top performer.

For the price, ~$34K, it is on the higher side of fair IMO. For comparison I found a G/VS2 at JA that is slightly smaller and around $2K less:
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/G-VS2-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1315166.asp?b=16&a=12&c=77&cid=131

And here is another one, G/SI1 eye clean ACA at WF:
http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-2564425.htm
a little more than $2K Less.

But it certainly is a gorgeous stone, and you've seen it with your eyes and it's in your budget. If you love it, I say go for it!

slg47

Ideal_Rock
I think it looks like a great diamond.

ditto previous posters, VS does not mean loupe clean. You should not see any inclusions without a loupe, but if you want higher clarity for 'mind-clean' purposes there is nothing wrong with that, you would have to sacrifice size or color though.

Dagger9903

Rough_Rock
The inclusions at 10x don't bother me, just wanted to mention them. I (and this is a VERY uninformed opinion) think it's very eye clean, which is most important to me along with being a legitimate G color stone.

The price is a bit of a sticking point as I have seen similar (on paper) stones for cheaper. I really appreciate the thoughts and additional data points you have provided and plan to see if I can work with the vendor to move forward as I do think it's a great stone.

Any other input is also welcome, whether on price, the quality of the diamond, or viable alternatives.

Cheers,
Jason

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous. WOW. She'll love it. I think you are getting what you are paying for. If you are getting the setting as well from GOG, you might want to ask for a "package" price and see if they will discount either the setting or the stone further if you buy both from them. Just a thought!

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dagger9903|1311042765|2971883 said:
The inclusions at 10x don't bother me, just wanted to mention them. I (and this is a VERY uninformed opinion) think it's very eye clean, which is most important to me along with being a legitimate G color stone.

The price is a bit of a sticking point as I have seen similar (on paper) stones for cheaper. I really appreciate the thoughts and additional data points you have provided and plan to see if I can work with the vendor to move forward as I do think it's a great stone.

Any other input is also welcome, whether on price, the quality of the diamond, or viable alternatives.

Cheers,
Jason

make sure when you are comparing stones you are comparing apples tp apples in terms of grading labs and the 4C's. This will give you the most accurate price comparison.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results