shape
carat
color
clarity

Any opinions on this diamond?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

moneyman

Rough_Rock

Does anyone have any comments about the diamond in the below listed link? I was originally hoping for something in the $13-15k range but I am willing to pay up to $20k if I thought I found something interesting and I think this ring is something interesting at 8k/carat. My gf values size, she wanted something at least 1.85ct. This ring gives her that, but it also has what seems to be a very nice cut, good enough color and is eye clean according to the seller. I was previously set on buying something in the colorless color range, but am now convinced after what I''ve heard from the board and what I''ve seen in person that near colorless is great once the diamond is set. If anything, I wish the below diamond were H colored so I could save some bucks. I just want to get something that my gf will like and something that makes me excited knowing I got a lot of bang for my buck. Any thoughts on the cut or value (bang for the buck) would be appreciated.

Actually, here is a quote from bluenile in reply to whether or not the stone is eye clean and whether or not the fluorescence left the diamond hazy/oily.

''My Gemologist confirmed the Fluorescence was not going to pose a problem: ''It looks great, no dead spots, haziness or strong blue evident at all!!!''. He also commented on the SI1 clarity ''1000% eye clean, great brilliance - a true dazzler!''. Both issues got rave reviews, I think this would be an outstanding option.''

http://www.bluenile.com/round-diamond-2-carat-ideal-cut-g-color-si1-clarity_LD00995516#grading_report

I apoligize for the repeat entry. I also posted this diamond as part of another thread earlier today but am reposting now becauseI realized the title of the previous thread was out of date since common sense prevailed a while back and you all helped me decide that I should buy my gf what she asked for. If I''m wrong for reposting here, please ignore the entry and I''ll get the point.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Go for it...I would also hire one of the extremely competent appraisers who post on Pricescope.

NeverEndingUpgrade

Brilliant_Rock
I see you already bought it. Do you need our opinions now? This interesting thing is that most of the diamonds from BlueNile are not in-house (except for their signature line). BN is an ordering site for a diamond database. The quote from the "gemologist" makes it sound like someone from BN has actually seen this diamond before it goes to the customer, which is highly unlikely. But you got the numbers/letters you wanted so congrats!

moneyman

Rough_Rock
Right now the diamond is only on hold, but I am almost certain that I will buy the thing so I can at least see it in person and probably take it to an appraiser listed in PS. I understand that most of the diamonds are not in-house (I figured this out pretty quickly when I looked at the total diamonds available in their inventory and compared it to the inventory value listed on the balance sheets they file with the SEC). The highlighted section I included from my original post was what the gemologist selling the diamond relayed to the Bluenile salesperson. I didn''t think it would be eye clean with the large crystal on the edge of the diamond, but 1000% eye clean is hard to argue with. LOL =)

Based on what''s described in the GIA report, do you see any potential red flags?

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
It gets 1.6 on the HCA, with excellent spread and fire and very good light return and scintillation, so it should look even bigger than its (already big) size. Its table is larger than many of people here prefer, but others--David of Diamonds by Lauren, especially--like that look, and you might too.

celery911

Rough_Rock
For those of us too lazy to click on the link, plz submit the diamond''s specs and cost so we don''t have to did for it.

NeverEndingUpgrade

Brilliant_Rock
It might have to do with the original dealer price or the flouro, but I would wonder why it is so much less expensive than this one: Link

moneyman

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/2/2009 11:03:25 PM
Author: celery911
For those of us too lazy to click on the link, plz submit the diamond's specs and cost so we don't have to did for it.
Round, GIA
2.70ct
Cut: Excellent
Polish: VG
Symmetry: Excellent
Clarity: SI1 (was told that it's eye clean)
Color: H
Fluorescence: Strong Blue
measurement: 8.99 x 9.04 x 5.40mm
Table: 60%
Depth: 59.9%
Crown Angle: 33.5%
Pavilion Angle: 40.8%
Medium-slightly thick (faceted) 3.5%
Crown height: 13.5%

:)

Brilliant_Rock
BN has a good 30 d return period. I second JulieN with having a qualified independent appraiser check it out when you receive it. That is quite a bit of stone for that price, just want to make sure everything is on the up and up!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/3/2009 12:50:06 AM
Author: :)
BN has a good 30 d return period. I second JulieN with having a qualified independent appraiser check it out when you receive it. That is quite a bit of stone for that price, just want to make sure everything is on the up and up!
Thritto - it looks good, especially if you don't mind a slightly larger table and the appraisal would be useful.

moneyman

Rough_Rock
Thanks. I've never seen a 60% table diamond in person. I'm getting anxious about it now. Can't wait.

celery911

Rough_Rock
For $8k/carat, it looks like a decent value, especially for something in that size range (2.5+ct). I''m not qualified to comment on the cut, but the HCA score puts it at a 1.6, but I don''t know if this has the same meaning for 60/60 diamonds. I''ve seen several threads on this board where people swear that 60/60 diamonds are horrible and 60% tables are just too big.

Please update the board as soon as you get the diamond.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results