shape
carat
color
clarity

Any opinions on the value of this stone for first ER?

georgesmith35

Rough_Rock
I would like a higher color rating, but this is stretching the budget quite a bit. Im hoping the 'I' color rating doesnt detract from it..I have a basic understanding of the ASET, DiamXray, Gemex images/reports but no real experience with them. Any opinions/insight would be great. (Its $6300.) Thanks for all the advice so far. George

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/8322/

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
It looks good to me. I wouldn't worry about the I color but some may...has you or your SO looked at I colored stones? It also looks like it is on hold...assume that is you? Did GOG confirm that it's eye clean?

georgesmith35

Rough_Rock
Well so far I think it is a complete surprise to the girlfriend, so she hasnt looked at all. I guess my next step is to go look at 'I's locally, but I have not yet. GOG said it is eye clean and inclusions are difficult to see with a loupe. I do have it on hold and am pretty sure im going to buy it, short of finding out something negative that I have overlooked. Thanks so much, George

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
Be sure to look at the stones outside (or in as much daylight as the store has). Look at different angles in those lighting conditions. Sometimes jewelry stores have lighting that can be misleading.

georgesmith35

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the advice, Ill be checking on color locally tomorrow. George

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
Seems like a very good diamond choice. Very smartly spent money IMHO. Probably one of the best "I've been looking around and read up about diamonds and what do you think of this" posts in weeks!

Ok, the only thing that might throw a spanner in the works is the I colour. From my very very limited experience, the clouds don't look like a very serious inclusion that would mar the gem optics much.

But i personally think an I colour should be fine. You really should decide that for yourself though by going the route suggested above, and just ask to see some I coloured diamonds. If it doesn't appear 'wrong' to you, compare against a H colour or even a G and see if your eyes (not your mind) tells you there is a difference.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
When you go see I's please go to see Lazare or Hearts on Fire I's only. If you see poorly cut or badly graded ones it won't be a good comparison.

georgesmith35

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the great feedback. I returned a D color with GIA fair cut based in large part on what I learned here. Unfortunately, is not possible to go from ignorant to expert overnight. This is the second largest purchase I have ever made (my house!) and the time those of you have taken to give input is very much appreciated. I hope the I color will work, I am leaning towards wiring the money monday and seeing it with my own eyes on tuesday. Short of the color, it 'seems' to be a good value. Any experts with the Diam Xray, or Hearts and arrows viewer, please give me your opinion. Thanks, George

kindred

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I just got an I color diamond from Good Old Gold. My fiance could not see any difference between a G and an I color. I could, especially from the side, but it was slight. Unless you're really color sensitive, you will probably find that diamond to be a good balance of quality and budget.

kindred

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I noticed that GOG just raised prices by about $1,100 on two I colored diamonds I had been considering when I purchased mine. I hope the OP can snap up the one they have on hold before the price goes up on it.

georgesmith35

Rough_Rock
I am that OP, and am wiring $ on tuesday, so unless GOG renigs on the price, all should be well. Just out of curiousity, what price range were you looking in? $1100 is very signifigant increase! Thanks for the input, all is appreciated. George

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
georgesmith35|1312179275|2981471 said:
I am that OP, and am wiring $ on tuesday

Congrats!! Did you choose a setting?

kindred

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
georgesmith35|1312179275|2981471 said:
I am that OP, and am wiring $ on tuesday, so unless GOG renigs on the price, all should be well. Just out of curiousity, what price range were you looking in? $1100 is very signifigant increase! Thanks for the input, all is appreciated. George

Congrats on the diamond!

The diamonds I was looking at were around $5,800 with a wire discount at the time, so yes, they have gone up quite a bit. Here is one of them: http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/8379/

georgesmith35

Rough_Rock
Thanks! I have not picked a setting yet,and dont really know what she likes. Im leaning towards a traditional 4 prong setting maybe in white gold, then exchanging it with her if she has another preference. It seems to me it makes sense to receive the diamond loose for inspection and buy a setting locally for ease of browsing/exchange. Does this sound wise? On another note, GOG will provide free lazer inscription(on diamond). Would this reduce the likelihood of a jewler switching a stone, or is knowing what ur diamonds incusions look like insurance enough? Thanks again, George

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
I think the idea of getting a simple setting is a good idea, since you don't know what she wants. But, keep in mind that prices are substantially better online. Perhaps you can get a temporary setting to propose and the send back to the vendor once she selects a setting from the vendor's selection?

georgesmith35

Rough_Rock
Im making a little headway with setting, I have a pretty good idea of style that I like and there is a pretty good chance she will too. I have not looked at white gold vs platinum in person yet (out of town :( ). If she does like the setting it doesnt seem to make sense to buy a 14k for $350 when 18k is $475 (basically a 4 prong solitare) and sounds like the better choice for wear. Im also interested in platinum, there are rings I like around $800-1000. It seems there is very little trade in value on white gold, and it kills me to throw away $350-475, when that would pay for the difference in platinum to begin with. It might be a gamble on my gut feel on whether I have picked something she will not want to change (reasonable chance at this point). Im sure most buyers have fought with this decision as well.. I guess im wondering two things: 1. If white gold and platinum 'look' the same, does it make sense to buy the metal that has that color naturally (platinum) versus gold which is basically plated over so you dont ever see the gold.. am I the only one this sounds funny to? Do people buy the white gold purely due to cost differnce? I know in general terms that there are differences in maintenance and heaviness.
2. Is either of white gold or a platinum 4 prong solitare any easier to sell/ hold value better IF it does need to be resold as a ring or for the metal?
I know this post is all over the place, but im finding the setting search to be more difficult (but fortunately less expensive! lol) than the diamond. Thanks for all the great advice. George

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks like a great diamond.

kindred

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I would say go for the platinum since it isn't much more in your case. Most white gold will need to be replated, and 18k would look even more yellow than 14k white gold, so I would rule that out.

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
What is the return policy for the vendor? You cam choose a setting and then exchange after the engagement.

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
You could also get a temporary setting too...ask the vendor!

troJane

Rough_Rock
How exciting~~!! Hope it's a stunner that sparkles like crrazzzy.

Just my 0.02c.. I see the "warmth" with an I stone. Actually, the gemologist at deBeers thought he can stump me if cut was excellent & set in white metal (I think platinum?). He kept testing me for kicks, and couldnt believe I got each right without closer inspection. My bf only could tell the D/E apart from I/J, and sometimes needed to compare side by side. Hehe.

Honestly, it's such a slight difference. Very difficult looking at it spot on, and Even more difficult without the direct comparison. But I did notice it from the side, and also while the ring was in movement. I am not a diamond expert, but I blame my shopping habits.. I always buy my basic whites (tees, dress shirts, tanks) in 3s.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results