shape
carat
color
clarity

Any must see pearl places in San Francisco?

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not convinced I'll have a lot of time as I'll be on a business trip, but is there anywhere I should try to see if I can? Ill be in the union square area, but for something spectacular, I'd probably find a way to get myself there (depending on how my meetings go). I'm ok if it's a $$$ store as I won't have the budget to buy anyway.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I haven't been myself yet (it's on my short list for my next trip to SF) but my sister has recommended the Pearl Lounge to me - it is in Union Square I think - and they have a website - it might be worthwhile to stop by for a browse-through, especially since it is nearby where you'll be.

If you're interested in antique jewelry at all, maybe stop by Lang Antiques? Another place I haven't been in person, but I have spoken with several of the women there, and have bought/sold jewelry there. On their website, they list almost 500 pieces of pearl jewelry. And, I think they are at/near Union Square too.

I think Kojima Pearls is across the bay in San Rafael - and I seem to remember you'd have to make an appointment to stop by her studio there - so not sure that would work for you with your limited time on this business trip.

And, what fun to have a pearl-shopping break in SF!

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
marymm|1434073492|3888155 said:
I haven't been myself yet (it's on my short list for my next trip to SF) but my sister has recommended the Pearl Lounge to me - it is in Union Square I think - and they have a website - it might be worthwhile to stop by for a browse-through, especially since it is nearby where you'll be.

If you're interested in antique jewelry at all, maybe stop by Lang Antiques? Another place I haven't been in person, but I have spoken with several of the women there, and have bought/sold jewelry there. On their website, they list almost 500 pieces of pearl jewelry. And, I think they are at/near Union Square too.

I think Kojima Pearls is across the bay in San Rafael - and I seem to remember you'd have to make an appointment to stop by her studio there - so not sure that would work for you with your limited time on this business trip.

And, what fun to have a pearl-shopping break in SF!

Great choices marymm, I was going to suggest Lang Antiques and Sarah as well.

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock
If you have transportation a visit to Sarah at Kojima would be a must see. You will be in pearl heaven. She is just wonderful to work with and has many, many pearls not on her site to show you. She is helping Douglas with his pearl harvest at the Sea of Cortez farm right now and the Hong Kong show is at the end of the month so timing might be an issue. You might be able to meet up with Sheri the Octo baby mama because she is across the bay if you are interested in an adoption.

chroman

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
i'll throw in another vote for seeing Sarah if you have the time. You can probably find a zipcar in the area if you need a brief rental to get up to her neck of the woods (or try and get an Uber ride, but I'm not sure how much that might cost).

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
I don't know how many times you've been to San Francisco, but if it were me, I wouldn't worry too much about pearly field trips, especially since you say you aren't buying. Pop into Gump's, they have lots of pearls, and you can probably walk.

Enjoy your trip!

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
Wanted to add, I'm just thinking that you "accidentally" found that little pearl shop with the Forbidden pendant and the Rocket ring. Those are the best little adventures. :angel:

chroman

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Good point - there are countless ways to kill some time in SF.

If you happen to have some free time while at SFO, there are usually interesting exhibits in the international terminal, just outside each security checkpoint. Currently, there is an Joseff of Hollywood display that might be of interest:

http://www.flysfo.com/museum/exhibitions/joseff-hollywood-jeweler-stars

(But note that it is outside security!)

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks everyone!

I don't think I'll be able to make a trip to Sarah given that I'm likely only going to have at most an evening free and no car. I'm happy to wander around the Union Square area though (Pearl Lounge and Lang Antiques, I will keep an eye out for you!)...and maybe find a new forbidden pendant or rocket ring! :bigsmile: Or maybe just eat amazing food, drink some fine Californian wine, and people watch. That sounds fun too.

That exhibit sounds like a good excuse to get to the airport early for the return trip!

I've been to San Francisco before a couple of years ago. Had wonderful time doing touristy things...breakfast at Boudin's, buying picnic supplies at the Ferry Building and going for picnics at Crissy Field and Ocean Beach, went to Ghiradelli square and Union Square, wandered through the shops of Hayes Valley, went to China Town and Haight Ashburry, saw the painted ladies, went to the Botanical Gardens, saw Muir Woods, and toured Napa of course! It wasn't the right time for the sea lions, and I wasn't able to make it to Alcatraz or the Aquarium. But otherwise I feel like I hit most of the high points (not bad for a week, eh?). Had great food too! But it was pre-pearl obsession, so I never thought to look. This time I'm only in town for a couple days (well I'm flying in, staying the night, and flying home, really), so it's almost all work and very little play. Next trip I will try to stay longer and rent a car, and see about going farther afield.

chroman

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It sounds like you've hit most of the big tourist spots in one fell swoop! Don't worry, there is plenty more to see and do :)

Given your schedule, I like your idea of some gastro-tourism. Here's a like that might help:

http://www.sfchronicle.com/food/top-100-2015/

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
I heard today that Shreve & Co. on Post Street is having a liquidation sale. They say they are moving and discounts are up to 60%.

Shreve's claims to be "a destination," so there you go. :D

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
chroman|1434145063|3888527 said:
It sounds like you've hit most of the big tourist spots in one fell swoop! Don't worry, there is plenty more to see and do :)

Given your schedule, I like your idea of some gastro-tourism. Here's a like that might help:

Thank you! I'm going to have some reading to do!

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ennui|1434151428|3888575 said:
I heard today that Shreve & Co. on Post Street is having a liquidation sale. They say they are moving and discounts are up to 60%.

Shreve's claims to be "a destination," so there you go. :D

Ennui, that sounds awfully tempting! :devil:

HHPmom

Brilliant_Rock
chroman|1434128349|3888419 said:
Good point - there are countless ways to kill some time in SF.

If you happen to have some free time while at SFO, there are usually interesting exhibits in the international terminal, just outside each security checkpoint. Currently, there is an Joseff of Hollywood display that might be of interest:

http://www.flysfo.com/museum/exhibitions/joseff-hollywood-jeweler-stars

(But note that it is outside security!)

That's a nice exhibit. I saw it in March.

For eye candy, go to Shreve's. Easy walk from Union Square. They have white SS, akoya, Mikimoto Tahitian pearls to watches like Jaeger-LeCoultre, Omega, etc.

img_3536_copy.jpg

img_3538_copy.jpg

dsc_0273_copy.jpg

dsc_0276_copy.jpg

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
cmd2014|1434167203|3888648 said:
chroman|1434145063|3888527 said:

Thank you! I'm going to have some reading to do!

This was great! Last time I was in town I hit a bunch of these (clearly I have good taste!). This gives me a wealth of options this time around (if only I had more meals to eat!).

Shreve's look fantastic! I'm excited to wander now! There look like lots of fun window shopping options within walking distance. (I'm way more excited about this than my meetings!)

chroman

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oh, I just remembered. There is a street or two on that area (I think its Stockton) that are a bit chewed up at the moment with construction. They're laying a new subway line under the middle of the street.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
To report back in: I haven't had a ton of shopping time, but I have had wonderful food and wine! Had dinner at Frances thanks to the SF Chronicle article and open table, and had a blast! I did make it to Shreve's too. Even with their 60% off moving sale, I'd have to take out a car payment for the a-mazing Mikimoto Tahitian multicolor rope that I tried on. It was in pastel tones and glowed with perfection (perfectly round, not a blemish on it and the strongest overtones I have ever seen)....but I guess that's what $33K will buy you.

Surprisingly the store brand strands were awful. Poor colour tone, full of blemishes and still $10 - $15K (sale price). There was a 'deal' dyed blemished 9mm-10mm Tahitian strand (dull, muddy) for $4K. They were super nice to me though, and if I had had more time they would have let me try on all the stunning diamonds and jewels that were there. Those were the stars rather than the pearls.

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
How fun, to try on things we can't afford! :dance:

I had always thought that Tahitians were not dyed, but I guess that's the new normal. Whatever the market will bear, I guess. I am grateful for the items I already own.

Tucs

Brilliant_Rock
Wow CMD, those prices for mediocre pearls are quite crazy!

chroman

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
When you think about what their rent must be - the prices arn't quite so crazy :)

HHPmom

Brilliant_Rock
Good to know you made it there and got to try on a spectacular strand. When we visited we were doing price comparison for some watches so we just glanced at the pearls and took a picture of the bust. We didn't even look at anything close-up. But I remember they had a lot of pearls under the counter.

Frost Me

Brilliant_Rock
Sounds like a ton of fun!

BlackPearlDudeDC

Rough_Rock
I was in Shreve & Co this past weekend to view the sale. Unfortunately they are leaving their historic building in San Francisco to make room for Harry Winston, because HW is willing to pay the very large rent increase by the landlord. Back on topic…loads of pearls. Some of the better and best quality pieces were drool inducing. The lesser quality stuff rather embarrassing. I was told the regular store stock and brand name pieces were put in the safes for the time being to make room for the discounted merchandise (that was interesting to hear). There was a very large pink FWP off round necklace that was unremarkable in surface quality, though the pearls were HUGE. In the past they had a pave pink diamond and Lavender FWP ring, and I wanted to see if it was still there or on sale (the original price was crazy though I don't remember the exact amount).

Too bad I didn't see this post earlier, I would have suggested a trip to Union St, tons of little Boutique stores with local talent/artists and interesting understated pieces.

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
For the other local people, the Shreve's moving sale extends to their Stanford location.

Interesting about Harry Winston moving in.

HHPmom

Brilliant_Rock
The Swatch Group (Breguet, Blancpain, Glashütte Original, Omega, Jaquet Droz, Longines, Rado, etc.) bought Harry Winston in Jan 2013. When I was in SF in Jun/July 2013 Harry Winston had a small area inside the Tourbillon Boutique (also part of Swatch). I don't know if there was a stand-alone HW boutique in the area back then.

When Bailey Banks and Biddle closed out where I live, the "sale" items were still expensive. But the upper scale items were not included in the sale. They probably make more money liquidating somewhere else rather than retail to the public.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
I live in San Francisco. It's a great city but it's not a very pearly kind of place. I do think Shreve & co is a fun place to visit. That building is also full of jewelers, but you have to know who your going to see. I go to Delbonta Brothers to get repairs done and stones set sometimes. Also I would check out Lang's Antiques just because it's a cool place. It's near the Shreve building.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results