shape
carat
color
clarity

any jewelers/designers willing to set a diamond in 22k yellow gold?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

b5s4

Rough_Rock
I''ve read mixed things about 22kt yellow gold. Some have said it''s too soft while others have said that it can be used for everyday use. One thing is for sure-it''s color is great. It''s noticeably richer looking than 18kt gold and is nearly three times as hard as 24kt gold while still having that same rich color. Do you have any suggestions on who to contact to set my 1.21 round diamond in a 22kt gold setting? thanks.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Ari at SingleStone made a 22k yellow gold mounting for my 1 carat oec. I love it!

b5s4

Rough_Rock
upgradeable,
do you have a pic of the setting? Thanks for the info.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Here you go. There are more posted in the Ring Gallery.

500x375.aspx

Black Jade

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/6/2009 3:40:10 PM
Author:b5s4
I''ve read mixed things about 22kt yellow gold. Some have said it''s too soft while others have said that it can be used for everyday use. One thing is for sure-it''s color is great. It''s noticeably richer looking than 18kt gold and is nearly three times as hard as 24kt gold while still having that same rich color. Do you have any suggestions on who to contact to set my 1.21 round diamond in a 22kt gold setting? thanks.
I''d be VERY careful with this.
I love 22K also and I know that it''s not true what most jewellers tell you, that it''s too soft to make jewelry with, as I have some sturdy pieces--a bracelet, a lot of chains that do not break and some earrings I often wear that have held up will for years. However, I have not had good luck with 22K and rings with stones in them. I have an emerald ring that I never wear, even though it is very beautiful, because I have had the stone simply pop out. I would be very wary of setting a diamond,which is immeasurably more hard than an emerald, in 22K. The Indian jewellers, who have so much experience with 22K, do not do this--they use 22K for everything else, but always set diamonds in 18K. With a stlyle with a very thick bezel like the one shown in the previous post, it MIGHT be possible--but you''ve got such a large stone that that may cause issues too.
I just wouldn''t do this if I were you.
You can get very yellow and rich looking 18K, if the jeweller uses certain alloys--Italian jewellers, for instance do an 18K which is truly very gold. My mother has one Italian gold chain that she wears with her 22K--you can tell the difference if you''re looking for it, but it doesn''t jump out at you at all.

Black Jade

Brilliant_Rock
P.S. 22K actually doesn''t look quite the same as 24K. I have pieces in both--the 22 is definitely more orange than the 24.
The 24 is definitely more fragile than the 22. I have 2 rings that are 24 that are basically unwearable except for isolated special occasions. I love my necklaces and pendants in 24K though--they have held up well and not needed repairing like the rings always do. I own no 24K earrings or bracelets (at least, not yet).
My 22K is all from India--my 24K is all from China--none is made by Western jewellers.
Mly little neighbor has a lot of 21K that I want to go over and have a look at--it''s all from the middle east (Kuwait) where her father has been stationed. From what I have seen, 21K looks very similar to 22.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Could you have the ring made of 22K for the shank, with 18K prongs or bezel?

b5s4

Rough_Rock
Black Jade,
Thanks so much for your insight-it''s really helpful. It''s funny that you mention 22k gold from India. My family is Indian and that is the whole reason I''m looking for "rich" looking yellow gold. I don''t mind at all using 18k gold as long as it looks dark yellow/rich. The 18k gold rings I''ve seen in jewelery stores don''t look like this at all. I''ve looked at some scott kay 19k yellow gold settings and it looks brighter than 18k gold-not necessarily darker/richer looking. Do you have any recommendations for 18k gold settings like you described? Should I look at Italian jewelers?

Glitterata,
I hadn''t considered that. I''ll put that as plan b as I''m sure a custom job like that would cost more.

Black Jade

Brilliant_Rock
I think looking at Italian wouldn''t hurt. They really do do a rich looking gold. You can see if it looks rich enough to YOU though.

I can understand why when you are used to 22k Indian jewelry (in my opinion, the most beautiful in the world not just for the color but for the techniques and workmanship), you wouldn''t want to go to another gold. Good luck to you.

Black Jade

Brilliant_Rock
By ''techniques'' I don''t mean to insult Western jewellers but Indian jewelryroutinely uses techiques with gold like granulation, really exquisiite filigree, enamelling etc. that haven''t been used in European jewelry for over 1,000 years. Hope no one is offended--it''s just a very different style and one that I prefer. I always used to look at museum pieces of gold from Etruria, from the Byzantine Empire and other ancient cultures and think--why doesn''t my gold jewelry look like that? then I found Indian jewelry and now it does.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unfortunately, she is just and I mean JUST, in the process of changing her website, so her portfolio pics are gone and are changing, but I would suggest keeping an eye on Valerie Naifeh. She routinely uses high-carat gold, probably because she does a lot of gold granulation. Her work is lovely. At the moment all she has is her Flash intro...but even that will give you a small idea of her work. I seem to recall some rings of hers done in high-carat gold...

http://www.naifehfinejewelry.com

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
She''s local to me and I cannot believe I''ve not found the time to check out her shop!
emembarrassed.gif

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Naifeh''s is worth the trip, trust me. Her designs are just gorgeous. I keep wanting to go talk to her about some designing pendant(s) for some gorgeous stones I have, but I confess I have had trepidations about the cost: design plus 22k gold plus fabrication is going to be pricey. But I just love her stuff.....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results