shape
carat
color
clarity

Any Jannpaul testimonials on pave craftsmanship for bespoke rings?

mipha

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

Newbie here who has been lurking for the last couple weeks or so. Everything I’ve learned so far from you all has been super helpful. Forgive me if I posted in the wrong forum and please direct me if I should post this somewhere else.

After extensive research and great testimonials for JannPaul cuts, my SO and I decided to get a lab grown diamond from them and we are in the process of designing a bespoke ring. I am super enamored by pave styled bands, but am obviously worried about the comfort/durability/higher maintenance that comes with them. Many posts say that losing a stone is inevitable if you go with pave, whereas other posts say that the durability really depends on the craftsmanship of the jeweler, with some folks saying they’ve never lost a stone even after many years of everyday wear.

My very little knowledge about pave is based off of a visit to a more local jeweler since I do not live in Singapore and would be purchasing from JP sight unseen. I looved the combo of a beautiful main stone and pave design on a somewhat thin (~2mm) band but am open to making it thicker if it improves the integrity of the ring design.

Since I already purchased our main stone from JP, I would prefer to stick with JP for the ring setting. So I’ve been scouring PS/Reddit and basically the rest of the internet for more info on others’ experiences. However, the only testimonial about pave bands made by JannPaul that I was able to find is one on PriceScope from ~2013, and the client was clearly upset with how her pave design turned out and she took her diamond elsewhere to be set by another jeweler. To be fair, it seemed that this client was trying to copy a ?unique pave design from Tiffany’s. This also seemed more of an aesthetic/personal preference issue rather than a functional one. I personally am not bound to a specific pave design but I would like one that is more durable, comfier on the hand, and has fewer holes and crevices to minimize build up (soap/scum build up seems impossible to avoid, but if anyone has suggestions on a pave style/band type to minimize this and ensure better durability, I’m all ears).

Does anyone have experience with the daily hand comfort and longevity of pave bands from JannPaul? Should I
stick with them for the rest of our ring making or bring our purchased diamond somewhere else? Is it difficult to find another jeweler who will work with a specialty cut gem from another store?

Thanks everyone in advance!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's definitely not inevitable to lose pave stones. I wore my previous engagement ring for ~10 years and never lost a stone. It largely depends on rhe craftsmanship/durability.

I would trust JP 100% based on what I know of them, but I don't have personal experience to share.

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
Welcome! Tagging @momofive, @SparkleMax. There’s a thread by a Dr Samurai or someone with a handle similar to that who has a JP thread from a while ago who might have some info. I think his was mined. He also attached the lovely video. If you dig around, you might be able to tag him. And maybe tag anyone else who has made a JP purchase.

I have spaced out melee in my band, so it’s not pave. But the band is substantial in depth (from outer surface toward my skin surface) despite being 1.6mm, so I never worry about my band bending. And the portions seem substantial. But again, page is a different story.

Congrats on your engagement!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results