shape
carat
color
clarity

Any input welcomed...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

BGB

Rough_Rock
First of all, thank you for all of the information. I''m surprised by the amount of information I''ve picked up in a couple of days. Anyway, I''m looking at RBs. I began this search stressing quality over size, and am leaning toward an ACA from WF.

I initially narrowed it down to 3 stones:

http://www.whiteflash.com/diamonds/Compare_Diamonds.aspx?idnos=1428878,1177137,1911785#

I have eliminated the middle one as it is out of budget ($32k+). The remaining two take me back to my initial issue, size over quality. The larger one is 2.124 H/VS1 and the smaller one is 1.73 G/VS1, and a few thousand cheaper. With respect to clarity, I have decided on VS1 because I''ve read that 1 in 100 can see inclusions in a VS2 and (being an eagle eye) Im afraid I''d never reach eye clear, much less mind clear.

The issue of color, however, is more troubling. I''ve read that the untrained eye cannot tell the difference between a G and an H, even when placed next to each other. Despite this, I asked WF to send me a photo of the 3, including face down to see if there are any discernable color differences. (I''ll attach the photos next, but I''ve erased this message twice already trying to paste them in.) It appears to me that the stone on the left is, in fact, somewhat more cloudy. I know it could be the focus, lights or position in the photo, but it looks less clear than the other two. Am I wrong, paranoid, worse? Smaller G, or bigger H? Or, Keep looking?

Also, after reading up on IS images, I initially thought: the redder the better. Then, however, I read a recent post about this issue wherein it was suggested that some leakage may actually improve the stone''s performance. Now I''m confused. Looking at the 2 IS images in the link above, the smaller stone appears to have minimal leakage. Very little white. The larger one however, has leakage on the edge and along the interior, which someone suggested will make for a more brilliant effect. I am now confused as to the difference between Fire and brilliance. I thought I wanted a lot of fire, but now I''m unsure. The HCA score suggests the larger stone has more brilliance and fire, despite the extremely red IS image on the smaller stone. So, I guess I''d like some input in that regard as well.

Finally, I am looking at the WF Tiffany knife edge setting for these stones. I went to the Tiffanys on Michigan Ave. in Chicago and looked at a 1.80 G/VS1 which I liked very much. I may have liked the setting even more. (However, at $32k, plus taxes - almost 10% - I decided to get eductaed and see what else was out there.) I Haven''t been back since, but the WF knife edge setting looks to be very close, and very pretty nonetheless. What are your thoughts, especially with regard to the above stones?

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read this.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/12/2006 4:20:46 PM
Author:BGB
First of all, thank you for all of the information. I''m surprised by the amount of information I''ve picked up in a couple of days. Anyway, I''m looking at RBs. I began this search stressing quality over size, and am leaning toward an ACA from WF.

I initially narrowed it down to 3 stones:

http://www.whiteflash.com/diamonds/Compare_Diamonds.aspx?idnos=1428878,1177137,1911785#
wow! and they are amazing!
3.gif

I have eliminated the middle one as it is out of budget ($32k+). The remaining two take me back to my initial issue, size over quality. The larger one is 2.124 H/VS1 and the smaller one is 1.73 G/VS1, and a few thousand cheaper. With respect to clarity, I have decided on VS1 because I''ve read that 1 in 100 can see inclusions in a VS2 and (being an eagle eye) Im afraid I''d never reach eye clear, much less mind clear.
if you *need* mind clean..definitely go with the vs1.

The issue of color, however, is more troubling. I''ve read that the untrained eye cannot tell the difference between a G and an H, even when placed next to each other. Despite this, I asked WF to send me a photo of the 3, including face down to see if there are any discernable color differences. (I''ll attach the photos next, but I''ve erased this message twice already trying to paste them in.) It appears to me that the stone on the left is, in fact, somewhat more cloudy. I know it could be the focus, lights or position in the photo, but it looks less clear than the other two. Am I wrong, paranoid, worse? Smaller G, or bigger H? Or, Keep looking?
as i am posting your images are still not up, but i will say that i can see some color through the pavilion in ''h'' color stones. face up..not a difference in the world, but through the side..yes. so depending on the setting, for me color has an impact. if you need mind clean on color as well, get the ''g''. you will not see color in a ''g'' color stone whatsoever.

Also, after reading up on IS images, I initially thought: the redder the better. Then, however, I read a recent post about this issue wherein it was suggested that some leakage may actually improve the stone''s performance. Now I''m confused. Looking at the 2 IS images in the link above, the smaller stone appears to have minimal leakage. Very little white. The larger one however, has leakage on the edge and along the interior, which someone suggested will make for a more brilliant effect.
the overal color saturation between idealscope images can not be used to determine brilliance. it is the color variations within each image itself that you need to focus on. small areas of intentional leakage (such as in the first stone) give a stone a slight difference in scintillation. those who have compared many well cut stones may be able to perceive the differences, but on the whole the effect may not be correlated to anything other than a beautifuly cut and most excellent performing diamond. both images are among the best you will ever see.

Finally, I am looking at the WF Tiffany knife edge setting for these stones. I went to the Tiffanys on Michigan Ave. in Chicago and looked at a 1.80 G/VS1 which I liked very much. I may have liked the setting even more. (However, at $32k, plus taxes - almost 10% - I decided to get eductaed and see what else was out there.) I Haven''t been back since, but the WF knife edge setting looks to be very close, and very pretty nonetheless. What are your thoughts, especially with regard to the above stones?
i absolutely LOVE the tiffany knife edge setting. it is so classy and elegant. i think the wf version is very beautiful as well.

you have picked 2 awesome stones. if pressed, i would say my preference is for the first one.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

The issue of color, however, is more troubling. I've read that the untrained eye cannot tell the difference between a G and an H, even when placed next to each other. Despite this, I asked WF to send me a photo of the 3, including face down to see if there are any discernable color differences. It appears to me that the stone on the left is, in fact, somewhat more cloudy. I know it could be the focus, lights or position in the photo, but it looks less clear than the other two. Am I wrong, paranoid, worse? Smaller G, or bigger H? Or, Keep looking?

Also, after reading up on IS images, I initially thought: the redder the better. Then, however, I read a recent post about this issue wherein it was suggested that some leakage may actually improve the stone's performance. Now I'm confused. Looking at the 2 IS images in the link above, the smaller stone appears to have minimal leakage. Very little white. The larger one however, has leakage on the edge and along the interior, which someone suggested will make for a more brilliant effect. I am now confused as to the difference between Fire and brilliance. I thought I wanted a lot of fire, but now I'm unsure. The HCA score suggests the larger stone has more brilliance and fire, despite the extremely red IS image on the smaller stone. So, I guess I'd like some input in that regard as well.
I'll try to help. I own an ACA H-colored stone (1.24 ct), and it looks colorless to me in all situations.

Color can become more noticeable the larger you go. Having said that, Mara and I had a chance to compare 2-ct stones with E/F/G/H/I/J colors. Viewing them face-up, we couldn't tell the difference when they were right next to one another. I'm sure it would have been even more impossible if each one was placed a few feet away from the others.

Your stone is going to be mounted by itself - not next to another stone. Viewed this way, I don't think you'd see any difference. If I went to the mall and stood next to someone wearing a G stone, you wouldn't be able to tell which was which unless we told you.

A note about pictures: they tend to exaggerate the details. In the pictures of my ring that WF sent, the prongs looked like gaff-hooks, they seemed so big. In person, not so. I think that's what you're seeing in the "cloudy" appearance. Any minute difference may look amplified in the picture, but if you were to stand there with the stones in person as we did, I don't think you'd find it be to a discernable difference.
1.gif

Regarding the white in the IS image......I personally prefer the larger stone with the white in the image. Leakage in the right places amounts to the stone having contrast....and it's what makes a diamond lively. The other IS would likely mean bolder but less frequent flashes. Most people - myself included - prefer the more "classic" sparkly look.

I'd pick the H hands down. Bigger size, great value for the money, nice contrast, exceptional IS image.

Regarding the setting - absolutely love the WF version of Tiffany knife-edge w/buttercup head. I think it would really showcase the stone well. http://www.whiteflash.com/Engagement-Rings/Styles/Solitaire/Tiffany-Knife-Edge_792.htm

BGB

Rough_Rock
I''ve attached it to this post, hopefully you''ll be able to see it.

3 WF ACAs.JPG

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You and I are looking for exactly the same thing, except I am around the 1.4-1.5 range. I also love the Tiffany knife edge setting and I am grappling with the G-H color issue. I''d also prefer VS1 but would consider a VS2 if it was the right stone. This is one disadvantage of internet shopping, because I''d love to see the two stones next to each other. That would relieve my mind about choosing the right one.

But I did look at some yesterday, and I could see that an ''I'' looked dark in dim lighting. I could not see it in the outside light, but it did bother me in the dim lighting inside the jewelry store. I did not get to compare an H of comparable size, unfortunately.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Magnificent picture, except my understanding is that stones need to be on a white background to compare color.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock

BGB

Rough_Rock
Thanks Belle,

That link answered my question regarding the differing IS images perfectly.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results