shape
carat
color
clarity

Any ideas to combine diamond, ruby, and opal into one ring?

adorezy

Rough_Rock
I want to make a right hand ring which incorporate diamond, ruby and opal. Diamond is my birth stone, well, sort of an excuse to buy another diamond :cheeky: opal is my dad's October birthstone, and ruby is my mum's. My left hand ring finger accommodate the rings for my own marriage, and I want to make a sentimental piece for my parents' marriage, and the amazing family they gave me.

But I'm struggling to find any good idea to put all these three gems together, especially with opal. I'm thinking maybe an Art Deco style ring will do, but literally I just have in idea.

Anyone can give me some ideas? I don't think I can go to any jeweler without knowing what I want indeed.

Merci ~~ :twirl:

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Any ideas to combine diamond, ruby, and opal into one ri

-gorgeous ruby as a center stone. Diamond sidestones (traps). A tiny opal as a secret stone on the inside of the shank.

- diamond and ruby three stone: diamond in the middle and two round rubies on each side. Opal as a secret stone in the shank.

- one of the above and 2 tiny opals on each side of the gallery.

- 3 stacking rings with bezel set stones: one with an opal, one with a ruby and one with a diamond

I guess it will be difficult to incorporate the opal as the diamond and ruby might overwhelm the opal. Big time.

Ashleigh

Brilliant_Rock

How about a DBTY necklace instead? Ruby and opal can't stand up to daily wear as a ring. I don't know how big your stones are but most opal in rings are usually large so I would think it's quite hard to incorporate all 3 into a ring. I'm on my phone now and can't upload photo but I recently posted a photo Yummy in the following thread. That might be a good idea if you can fit all into a ring.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/which-ring-do-you-covet-most-on-pricescope.194122/page-4']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/which-ring-do-you-covet-most-on-pricescope.194122/page-4[/URL]

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

A double halo with ruby as the centre stone, small opals for the first halo, then diamonds for the outer halo?

Or a ruby set in the middle of a larger opal, then surrounded by a diamond halo?

DK :))

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I'd do this but with a ruby center.

uploadfromtaptalk1384089766218.jpg

sparks1007

Shiny_Rock

I was going to suggest the same as Niel. Lovely. Garners and opals were a popular Victorian combo so a ruby instead of the garnet would work nicely. I agree with previous posts. Rubies and opals are not good daily wear choices. My proposal ring is an opal with pink sapphire surround and I love it but cannot wear it every day.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

dk168|1384089687|3553766 said:
Or a ruby set in the middle of a larger opal, then surrounded by a diamond halo?

This is what I have in mind, instead of the diamond in the middle, it will be ruby, and the onyx will be opal:
onyx-and-diamond-ring-4.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Love this too

uploadfromtaptalk1384091867440.jpg

ChristineRose

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Make a Victorian message ring and spell DOOR. :naughty:

Seriously though, I'd put the opal in the middle and make a floral pattern of little diamonds and rubies around the edges. Maybe little ruby flowers with a trail of diamond vines.

sparks1007

Shiny_Rock

Niel - we have very similar taste in jewellry! Love it.

adorezy

Rough_Rock

sparks1007|1384090470|3553773 said:
I was going to suggest the same as Niel. Lovely. Garners and opals were a popular Victorian combo so a ruby instead of the garnet would work nicely. I agree with previous posts. Rubies and opals are not good daily wear choices. My proposal ring is an opal with pink sapphire surround and I love it but cannot wear it every day.

A huge THANK YOU to every one - you guys are so nice! I think Niel's suggestion is really nice. Thank you!

But can anyone explain why rubies and opal are not good daily wear choices? I know opals are soft and can be easy to chip, but how about rubies? And is it also relating to 'bad luck' kind of thing on these gems?

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

adorezy|1384100241|3553825 said:
sparks1007|1384090470|3553773 said:

A huge THANK YOU to every one - you guys are so nice! I think Niel's suggestion is really nice. Thank you!

But can anyone explain why rubies and opal are not good daily wear choices? I know opals are soft and can be easy to chip, but how about rubies? And is it also relating to 'bad luck' kind of thing on these gems?

Yeah, I was going to mention rubies are ok for everyday wear - they're a 9 on the mohs scale - opal is lower on the scale, 6 maybe? so less durable.

I really like Niel's suggestion!

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade

What a meaningful project this is!

I would get a very nice opal and put it as the center stone. An opal needs a bit of size to show its beauty, I think. If you use it as a side stone next to a big ruby, I think it will look washed out and not too glamorours. But a great opal as a center stone would be killer. Then maybe rubies as two sidestones, and diamonds incorporated more as a halo. I even draw a pic :cheeky:

I just happened to be playing with some of my gemstones yesterday and thought about combining my opal pendant with a red-pink accent stone to make a bigger pendant. I'll attach a pic for reference. I also took out my redder spinels and snapped a pic for you to show how the colors go together. I personally think that the colors in my opal are a little too pink and soft for the red, so I wouldn't do that combo. So if you do source your own opal, I'd keep in mind what color the fire in it is, so it will combine with the ruby well. Man, this could be one *amazing* ring! :lickout: Sorry, getting a bit carried away here. ::)

As for the durability of the ring, I'd imagine you treat it as an opal ring, not a ruby ring. I wouldn't wear it as an everyday ring and I would baby it a little during wear (do not expose to chemicals like soap and lotion, don't wear while working with your hands, etc.).

opals__amp__ruby_sketch.jpg

opal__amp__pink_spinel.jpg

opal__amp__red_spinels.jpg

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade

I'll also add -- there are quite a few opal and ruby rings on ebay. If you run some good searches and look carefully, you might find something really neat. But be careful with vintage opals -- they can have some crazing (=cracks) and they do show age sometimes.

starrylight

Shiny_Rock

Here is one that was on ebay a week or two ago that I loved. Maybe substitute the outer pieces for opal instead?
ruby_halo.png

adorezy

Rough_Rock

GemFever|1384104142|3553854 said:
What a meaningful project this is!

I would get a very nice opal and put it as the center stone. An opal needs a bit of size to show its beauty, I think. If you use it as a side stone next to a big ruby, I think it will look washed out and not too glamorours. But a great opal as a center stone would be killer. Then maybe rubies as two sidestones, and diamonds incorporated more as a halo. I even draw a pic :cheeky:

I just happened to be playing with some of my gemstones yesterday and thought about combining my opal pendant with a red-pink accent stone to make a bigger pendant. I'll attach a pic for reference. I also took out my redder spinels and snapped a pic for you to show how the colors go together. I personally think that the colors in my opal are a little too pink and soft for the red, so I wouldn't do that combo. So if you do source your own opal, I'd keep in mind what color the fire in it is, so it will combine with the ruby well. Man, this could be one *amazing* ring! :lickout: Sorry, getting a bit carried away here. ::)

As for the durability of the ring, I'd imagine you treat it as an opal ring, not a ruby ring. I wouldn't wear it as an everyday ring and I would baby it a little during wear (do not expose to chemicals like soap and lotion, don't wear while working with your hands, etc.).

GemFever, you are so sweet. I really like your design and the combo you did with your pendant. Thank you!

Hmm, opal's durability is a problem...

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Durability is a bit of a problem, but people still wear opal rings. There are some incredibly beautiful ones out there. I wouldn't let durability concerns stop you unless this really had to be an everyday ring (maybe I didn't read carefully and it does have to be everyday? my apologies in that case).

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Wow! I love GemFever's design!!!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Look what i found.

uploadfromtaptalk1384218032634.jpg

sparks1007

Shiny_Rock

Niel|1384218037|3554666 said:
Look what i found.

Swooooooon.... :lickout:

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock

A different direction could be faceted opals, I have a garnet and Ethopian opal ring that turned out lovely, you could add diamond to a similar design. The opals were inexpensive, easy to replace if they chip.

474739_660541777294816_250485892_0.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results