shape
carat
color
clarity

Any ideas on this diamond?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

JennaJ

Rough_Rock
Hello,

My BF is looking at buying a diamond loose for my future engagement ring, and just spoke to a jeweller after making an enquiry from a website selling diamonds in Australia. The diamond we are interested in is the following:
Round
0.72 carats
VS1
F
Excellent cut
Diameter 5.84

A couple of questions, I''m not sure what grading system Australia uses (we are in New Zealand), but I think the excellent cut refers to polish and symmetry? Is there anyway to tell from the above stats if this is a good diamond in terms of the diameter in relation to the size? Of course if we decide to look further into this diamond we will get a copy of the certification, but any ideas from the above information? The jeweller also told my bf that cut was the most important aspect as a well cut diamond would have a larger diameter than a poorly cut higher carat weight and thus appear bigger, and that we should concentrate on the diameter and cut as opposed to the carat size...any opinions on this?

Thank you for any help!

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
JennaJ, welcome.

Australia uses the same grading system for color and clarity. Excellent cut can mean anything because there are no commonly accepted cut grading system yet.

Cut should refer to proportions. Symmetry and polish refer to finish. You can read more on that in the tutorial written by our Aussie mate Garry Holloway, who's on his way to Basel right now where GIA might announce their new cut grading system, btw.
1.gif

The diameter is reasonable for this carat size.
----------
The jeweller also told my bf that cut was the most important aspect as a well cut diamond would have a larger diameter than a poorly cut higher carat weight and thus appear bigger, and that we should concentrate on the diameter and cut as opposed to the carat size...any opinions on this?
----------------
He sounds exactly like Garry and we agree
1.gif
Does he have an idealscope by any chance to demonstrate how your diamond performs?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results