shape
carat
color
clarity

Any ideas on a fair price for this?

ascari_2

Shiny_Rock
So over the weekend my wife and I wandered into a local (well respected) pawn shop. They had this thing sitting on display. I can't recall the specs for the center (other than it's a natural sapphire) but the sides are 0.75ct diamonds all set in platinum. All stones appeared to be nicely cut.

Can anyone give me a rough idea of what a fair price for a piece like this would run?

Links to full size images:
**edited by moderator, please upload all photos to forum directly per our policies**
Thanks

20160903_103838.jpg

20160903_103844.jpg

20160903_103849.jpg

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's a beautiful ring; however, without knowing what kind of treatment (if any) the sapphire has had, clarity, it's measurements/weight, etc., as well as the specs on the diamonds, I think PSers will be hard-pressed to provide you with an estimated value, given so many unknowns.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JCJenn is correct.

Sapphire:
Measurements in mm? Carat weight? Heated (heat only or diffused)? Clarity?
Any extinction? How well does it hold colour?

Diamonds:
Colour, clarity, and carat weight?
Untreated?

ascari_2

Shiny_Rock
So I had a chance to swing by the store and got the following information:

Center: 2.28 ct fine untreated sapphire
Sides (each): 0.75 ct G VS
Mounting: platinum

Does this help with getting a ballpark park price?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What lab tested the sapphire and determined it to be untreated? There is a big difference in pricing for heat vs unheated.

ascari_2

Shiny_Rock
This is what they stated, and they provide a refund if a customer has any concerns. So assuming one case where it's treated and one case where it's untreated, what are some reasonable price points?

Thanks

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ascari_2|1474660276|4080055 said:
This is what they stated, and they provide a refund if a customer has any concerns. So assuming one case where it's treated and one case where it's untreated, what are some reasonable price points?

Thanks

I'm not sure we can help much if we don't know what lab said the sapphire was "untreated", and also if we don't know anything about certifications (if any) for the diamond side stones.

ascari_2

Shiny_Rock
No certs on any of the stones.

And I certainly appreciate you all being cautious about providing any value with nothing to back up the grades. But again, given this scenario the ring still does have a price point. Obviously the lack of a cert goes into the overall value. However, taking this fact into consideration, can anyone provide even a rough ballpark.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
First scenario: sapphire beryllium diffused (heavily treated) which in the absence of a lab report from a well-known and well respected lab, one has to assume given its color (a color highly suspect for treatment). In this case, sapphire is worth maybe five hundred dollars at the most (if you want to get a more accurate idea, go to ebay as Be diffused sapphires abound there). Add to this the cost of diamonds and a platinum setting. Again, with a bit of research, you could find comps for these. Others here may know what diamonds of that carat weight without reports go for. It appears to be a simple but solid setting so the cost would be in the platinum. My guess would be somewhere in the $1,500-$1800 range? So total of $2,300 tops.

Second scenario: same value for setting, unless side diamonds are extremely high quality and have reputable lab reports. The diamond experts can give you a ballpark in this case for the diamonds. The setting would be the same with some premium added for the diamonds. Assuming the color is accurate for the sapphire and it has eye clean clarity and found to be unheated by a high quality lab, it could be as much as $4,000-$6,000 for the sapphire.

Hope that helps.

ETA: I don't claim to be any kind of expert on the cost of settings - for that, someone like Niel will be your best bet.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
minousbijoux|1474671808|4080114 said:
First scenario: sapphire beryllium diffused (heavily treated) which in the absence of a lab report from a well-known and well respected lab, one has to assume given its color (a color highly suspect for treatment). In this case, sapphire is worth maybe five hundred dollars at the most (if you want to get a more accurate idea, go to ebay as Be diffused sapphires abound there). Add to this the cost of diamonds and a platinum setting. Again, with a bit of research, you could find comps for these. Others here may know what diamonds of that carat weight without reports go for. It appears to be a simple but solid setting so the cost would be in the platinum. My guess would be somewhere in the $1,500-$1800 range? So total of $2,300 tops.

Second scenario: same value for setting, unless side diamonds are extremely high quality and have reputable lab reports. The diamond experts can give you a ballpark in this case for the diamonds. The setting would be the same with some premium added for the diamonds. Assuming the color is accurate for the sapphire and it has eye clean clarity and found to be unheated by a high quality lab, it could be as much as $4,000-$6,000 for the sapphire.

Hope that helps.

ETA: I don't claim to be any kind of expert on the cost of settings - for that, someone like Niel will be your best bet.

I think Minous is in the same range as I would be (but I hate guessing on price since it's almost impossible with pics alone). The range is enormous depending on the level of treatment for the sapphire. Essentially I'd guess anywhere from 1500-10K for the ring, but I personally wouldn't pay any more than the price for the setting (1500 maybe) without certificates.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
lovedogs|1474683495|4080175 said:
minousbijoux|1474671808|4080114 said:

Hope that helps.

I think Minous is in the same range as I would be (but I hate guessing on price since it's almost impossible with pics alone). The range is enormous depending on the level of treatment for the sapphire. Essentially I'd guess anywhere from 1500-10K for the ring, but I personally wouldn't pay any more than the price for the setting (1500 maybe) without certificates.

Agreed.

ascari_2

Shiny_Rock
Perfect. Thank you. That is exactly what I was looking for.

ElleK

Shiny_Rock
Trade
If those are matched trapezoids, the price of the diamonds (if they are 1.5ctw) alone could actually be quite high, perhaps around $4-5k or so retail pricing.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results