shape
carat
color
clarity

any ideas how to make some extra money?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Work on New Year's Eve... bartend, babysit, hire on to a caterer. Is the Superbowl past your "earn by" window?

I know you really want to be there for this friend... did she make it to your wedding festivities? If so, then... yeah. If not, then you have my permission to bow out gracefully and send a gift or check.
2.gif
It's that old needs vs. wants thing. Tiresome, but it can help when you're faced with these tough decisions, yaknow?

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/29/2009 1:30:36 PM
Author: TooPatient
I know your dad is buying your ticket, but if you are still looking to make some extra money I''d suggest Rent a Coder.

I''ve done a couple of little projects there and had no problem. They escrow the money for your payment BEFORE you start working on anything so people can''t take advantage of you.

They have design things on there from time to time (design a logo, business cards, etc. -- I''m not a designer so I didn''t look that closely at these ones).

Glad your trip is working out. I''m sure your friend will be very happy to have you with her.

Thank you everyone for all your kind words
I will definitely have to check out rent a coder, may use it in the future too as just a side money thing, get ahead on em bills
2.gif

soocool

Ideal_Rock
After the new year is when a lot of retail stores do their inventory and sometimes hire people from the outside to help.

Also, many places (townships, community centers, community colleges) offer continuing adult and kids education courses that can run a total of 1 class to as many as 1 per week for a number of sessions (i.e. 6 sessions or weeks). After I learned to knit on the knitting machine I taught a course over 6 weeks (once a week for 2 hrs/week) had about 10 students. The course cost $75/student plus materials to complete 1 project and I ended up with $500.00 after paying the township for use of their space. Graphic design for those contemplating a career in the field is a good course that may draw a pretty decent crowd, designing your own invitations, etc will get a lot of interest also. Nice way to earn extra cash in the evenings/weekends.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Going to second dog-sitting - pet sitting, I suppose.

My parent''s regular pet sitter makes a killing - esp. during the holidays! It''s her second job.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Get a second job?

Years ago when I was working on my educators license I wasn''t making much... but I was living at on my own for the first time in a home I just bought--as you can imagine those were some scary times. I got a second job. It was exhausting at times, teaching from late afternoon until 10p and working at an auto body shop (as a receptionist) during the day...but I made some extra income and gave me a huge appreciation of having it "easy" now. And, it didn''t last forever. Eventually I got an amazing job that more than covered the bills and blah blah blah...but when I was up against the wall and needed cash, I made my priority getting it.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here are a few things I''ve done for extra cash:

Babysat on nights/weekends/overnights. It helps if you''re CPR certified though and you''ll most likely need to provide references.

Transcribed a family friend''s notes/tapes when she was working on her PhD. This was great because I learned a lot and I found the subject matter interesting. If you live near a university, you could call a few departments and see if someone needs transcription services.

Worked in retail. I used to work in a children''s bookstore for a couple of years as a part time job, and I loved it.

Good luck Smurfy!

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
I haven''t read all the post, but what about babysitting? You can offer evening hours or even night hours as a lot of people need a night sitter.

reader

Brilliant_Rock
How about elder care? A lot of folks need someone to come in for a few hours to clean, shop and cook.

noelwr

Brilliant_Rock
smurfy, I''m so glad your dad was able to get your ticket. that is very convenient that they live in the same place!

my suggestion was going to be borrow money from someone, but I''m glad something else came through for you. I don''t know if you''ll end up telling your friends how you got there (or if it''s any of there business), but I hope they appreciate what a good friend you are willing to go the extra mile when you already work such long days!

reader

Brilliant_Rock
RGIS is a company that does end of year inventory, and should be hiring now. Also, is the Census Bureau hiring in your area? That was an interesting job in 1999, and I''d like to do it again too, just to meet people.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results