shape
carat
color
clarity

any ideas how to make some extra money?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
Anyone know a way to make about 300 dollars over a month''s time? DH and I are strapped for cash but my best friend just got engaged and our other 2 best friends want to time an engagement party around when I could get home...I really want to be there because I remember what it was like to not have everyone you want there for you and I don''t want her to feel that way if that makes any sense? So yeah....if anyone has any suggestions...

btw, donating plasma is out of the question, my veins are too bad for it
7.gif

y2kitty

Brilliant_Rock
What kind of skills do you have? Can you fix a computer? Sew? Etc, etc.

lilyfoot

Brilliant_Rock
Do you have anything you can sell on eBay or Craigslist?

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sell misc stuff on CL.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sell all of your Christmas presents on Craigslist/ebay?

Seriously though, you''re a graphic designer, try for some freelance gigs or just bite the bullet and get a second job waiting tables or something.

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
Tell the bride "I''m sorry I live in another state" and send a $50 engagement gift instead. You just saved $250!
6.gif
2.gif

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
Yup I have a degree in graphic design, I bet I could get something set up on etsy maybe
hmmm
27.gif

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
You could do a custom design shop, so really anything...I bet Alchemy would be a good way to generate some early business.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just sold three boxes of books to a used bookstore for $48.
DH and I sell a lot of stuff that we don''t use on eBay and Craigslist. It''s easier than you think, and it feels so good to get stuff out of the house.

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
I''m setting up my etsy shop, hopefully this will roll in some dough!

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/29/2009 11:22:15 AM
Author: sunnyd
Tell the bride ''I''m sorry I live in another state'' and send a $50 engagement gift instead. You just saved $250!
6.gif
2.gif
This x1,000,000

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/29/2009 11:50:42 AM
Author: fiery
Date: 12/29/2009 11:22:15 AM

Author: sunnyd

Tell the bride ''I''m sorry I live in another state'' and send a $50 engagement gift instead. You just saved $250!
6.gif
2.gif

This x1,000,000

I know it would mean more being that she is one of my best friends to be there as opposed to the gift idea, but thanks guys :)

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Etsy is seriously overflowing with people offering design services with much more established Etsy shops and portfolios. I wouldn''t count on making any money in your first month on there, let alone $300. If you really want to make the money, sell or return Christmas gifts and put a bunch of stuff on eBay and CraigsList.

With all of your recent financial problems and your apparent desire to buy a house, I''m not sure why you''d want to spend $300 on a trip. Didn''t you just have to spend your grocery money on a car repair? I think you should still try to make the $300 and then save it instead.

CNOS128

Ideal_Rock
Smurfy, weren''t you a bartender at some point? I''d try to get a gig doing that on weekends. Or sell my hair. (Do people still buy hair?) Are you sure plasma is out of the question?
What about babysitting?

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
You just had a wedding. I think your friend would be *very* understanding, especially if she is your best friend. I would not make the trip and instead send over a gift as sunny suggested. You could also use your design skills and make her a personalized gift that you know would mean a lot to her
1.gif

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
We are putting the house buying on hold and seeing a financial counselor next week. However, that is not really the topic of this thread.

I used to work at a bar as a hostess, not a bartender and it's pretty hard to get a gig just doing that on weekends...and I don't know if people actually offer jobs for a month or 2 only....do they?

Currently have nothing we don't actually have anything to sell to sell....

And I used to donate plasma a TON but then I started getting hemotomas in each arm every time they would try so that's why I can't do that...

I'd sell my hair too in a heartbeat if I hadn't chopped it off following the wedding, hmmm

I'm just trying to find a way to make some money to be there for my friend...not to save...not to do anything else with but buy a plane ticket.

Looking for ideas, not personal opinions of my financial situation if you please.

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
Perhaps a part-time job at a fast food restaurant or retail store then? Do you know anyone that works in these places and can hire you? You don't need to tell them that your plans are to leave after a month or two and you never have to put it on your resume. And if you can suck it up for a month or two, you can request shifts that people *hate* like Saturday evening, Sunday morning, late night shifts, etc. That'll get you hired quickly.

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/29/2009 12:07:56 PM
Perhaps a part-time job at a fast food restaurant or retail store then? Do you know anyone that works in these places and can hire you? You don''t need to tell them that your plans are to leave after a month or two and you never have to put it on your resume. And if you can suck it up for a month or two, you can request shifts that people *hate* like Saturday evening, Sunday morning, late night shifts, etc. That''ll get you hired quickly.

that''s a good idea, I''d have to try and find something as a host as I can''t balance anything to save my life...there''s a lot of retail stores around here though.

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/29/2009 12:10:13 PM
Author: Smurfyimproved

Perhaps a part-time job at a fast food restaurant or retail store then? Do you know anyone that works in these places and can hire you? You don't need to tell them that your plans are to leave after a month or two and you never have to put it on your resume. And if you can suck it up for a month or two, you can request shifts that people *hate* like Saturday evening, Sunday morning, late night shifts, etc. That'll get you hired quickly.

that's a good idea, I'd have to try and find something as a host as I can't balance anything to save my life...there's a lot of retail stores around here though.
I thought that you were working 11 hour days? I would stick to soemthing you can do out of your house.

To bad that Christmas is passed, you could have made some money wrapping presents. You could offer to clean houses for New Years parties?

ETA: Put out a flier to be a bartender for a NYE party. I know tons of people that use these in their homes.

CNOS128

Ideal_Rock
Dog walking!!

Aloros

Brilliant_Rock
Check out the gigs in craigslist. I got $70 for testing and evaluating a scavenger hunt for someone. It was under the "writing" section, so just look around!

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/29/2009 12:24:35 PM
Author: meresal
Date: 12/29/2009 12:10:13 PM

Author: Smurfyimproved

Perhaps a part-time job at a fast food restaurant or retail store then? Do you know anyone that works in these places and can hire you? You don''t need to tell them that your plans are to leave after a month or two and you never have to put it on your resume. And if you can suck it up for a month or two, you can request shifts that people *hate* like Saturday evening, Sunday morning, late night shifts, etc. That''ll get you hired quickly.

that''s a good idea, I''d have to try and find something as a host as I can''t balance anything to save my life...there''s a lot of retail stores around here though.
I thought that you were working 11 hour days? I would stick to soemthing you can do out of your house.

To bad that Christmas is passed, you could have made some money wrapping presents. You could offer to clean houses for New Years parties?

ETA: Put out a flier to be a bartender for a NYE party. I know tons of people that use these in their homes.

I do work 11 hour days lol I have a pretty well read blog so I think I will put some ads up on there as well which isn''t too hard to do and rework my google optimization, hopefully bring in some more readers
Though I have to admit, dog walking does sound fun :)

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
I doubt any retail places would be hiring at this time. This is the slowest time of the year for retailers, and everyone is letting the seasonal employees go. It'd be very unlikely that they'd spend the money to train someone who could only work weekends or a couple of hours a night, KWIM?

If I were your friend, I'd appreciate what you're doing, but tell you not to come. Groceries and emergency funds are WAY more important than a party that lasts a few hours. If she's any friend at all, she'd understand that.

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
I'm not sure where you live and where you are going, but have you done lots of research to see if that's the lowest price you can get on airline tickets? I know some of the discount carriers always have deals going on, AirTran always has $49 each way, Spirit Air, Jet Blue, etc. Also, I'm not sure how it works, but my 21 year old brother bought some vouchers an airline employee was selling on ebay for a cheap price. Did you get any gift cards for Christmas you can sell on ebay? Maybe something to check into?

ETA: Obviously you should do what you want to, but something to consider...this is just her engagement party. Are you going to be a bridesmaid? B/c maybe you should start working a part time job and save up for the dress and for tickets to the actual wedding and just send her a nice gift for the party.

tlh

Ideal_Rock
Most of the dog walkers and pet sitters in my area are licensed and bonded... and they make a set amount per visit, then per hour, and most owners require referrals ESPECIALLY if they are giving you a key to their home... If you need to come up with $300 in a months time and work 11 hour days you''re not going to find a lot of stores that will hire you - in enough time to make that money. So I would suggest selling some of your items, books, text books? or telling your friend you cannot go.

An engagement party sure would be fun, but putting you and your husband in a financial bind to go is not a wise choice. There will be a lot of parties for your friend, showers, the wedding, the hen night - etc. You cannot be expected to go to all of them. Plan on going to one of the later parties, and start saving money for that now.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Babysitting maybe?

ETA: Sorry, someone already suggested it!

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/29/2009 12:55:03 PM
Author: tlh
Most of the dog walkers and pet sitters in my area are licensed and bonded... and they make a set amount per visit, then per hour, and most owners require referrals ESPECIALLY if they are giving you a key to their home... If you need to come up with $300 in a months time and work 11 hour days you''re not going to find a lot of stores that will hire you - in enough time to make that money. So I would suggest selling some of your items, books, text books? or telling your friend you cannot go.

An engagement party sure would be fun, but putting you and your husband in a financial bind to go is not a wise choice. There will be a lot of parties for your friend, showers, the wedding, the hen night - etc. You cannot be expected to go to all of them. Plan on going to one of the later parties, and start saving money for that now.

Ditto.

I know you''re trying to be nice, but don''t you want to get into a situation where you''d have savings for a 300 dollar flight if one came up on short notice again?

If you''re living month-to-month, scraping by for car repairs and groceries, this is the last thing I would do. It''s not about you any more - its about you and your husband and your future.

Would YOU be happy to know that a friend who doesnt have 300 dollars to spare spent it on a flight to see you? I''d be pissed. I would hope that friend would know their financial well-being is more important than a simple party.

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
My father ended up offering to pay for the ticket, he said to have some nice photos printed for him from the wedding to put in his office in return when I get a chance. I really think my parents just want an excuse to see me though...

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Babysitting (I think people pay big bucks for NYE) and waiting tables are the best/easiest way for fast cash.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know your dad is buying your ticket, but if you are still looking to make some extra money I''d suggest Rent a Coder.

I''ve done a couple of little projects there and had no problem. They escrow the money for your payment BEFORE you start working on anything so people can''t take advantage of you.

They have design things on there from time to time (design a logo, business cards, etc. -- I''m not a designer so I didn''t look that closely at these ones).

Glad your trip is working out. I''m sure your friend will be very happy to have you with her.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results