shape
carat
color
clarity

any ideas about setting?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is the Namibian spessartite that I bought from Marc Sarosi

I would appreciate some ideas about the setting.

I would like to leave the back open, so that the light could flow through the stone, and use yellow gold

sarosi115.JPG

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
another shot

sarosi107.JPG

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another one (raining, NW weather)

sarosi106.JPG

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yet another one...sorry, made several days ago when I did not know how one should hold a stone

sarosi105.JPG

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
One more...Even with my "skills" it is very bright and orange, it "glows"

sarosi103.JPG

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
One but last...

sarosi102.JPG

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And this.

The color of the stone IRL is totally orange, no secondary. I have a fake orange stone, I was always asking jewelers to find me something that would match the color. No one could, then I saw this picture in Marc''s website and asked him to send me the stone. It is "spectral" and absolutely matches my fake "spessartite"!

I would like an unusual setting, either wedged it between two round rings (sort of "extreme" split shank), or set in a gold bezel in a thicker gold ring. As mentioned before, the back will be left open. Can anyone share ideas or recommend a jeweler who does custom modern work and is not too pricey?

sarosi101.JPG

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Sounds like you''d love something similar to movie_zombie''s spess ring.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks very beautiful and vibrant in your pictures. Unfortunately, I am not familiar with custom designers with a modern flair but I look forward to reading more about this project.

MAC-W

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/12/2010 12:23:44 AM
Author: crasru
And this.

The color of the stone IRL is totally orange, no secondary. I have a fake orange stone, I was always asking jewelers to find me something that would match the color. No one could, then I saw this picture in Marc's website and asked him to send me the stone. It is 'spectral' and absolutely matches my fake 'spessartite'!

I would like an unusual setting, either wedged it between two round rings (sort of 'extreme' split shank), or set in a gold bezel in a thicker gold ring. As mentioned before, the back will be left open. Can anyone share ideas or recommend a jeweler who does custom modern work and is not too pricey?
Do you mean something like this? http://www.artofplatinum.com/4images/details.php?image_id=442

or for something a little bit different and still quite open how about this (pic attached) but in yellow gold or a mixed white gold / rose gold design?

I have a spess very similar to yours that I'll be setting this year and these are 2 of the settings I'm considering. It sounds like we might be looking for very similar settings. I'll be interested to see how yours turns out.

Dailing_spinel_1.jpg

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
You might want to contact Peter Lees. He made my one modern piece (it''s in his gallery, the garnet pendant with the 5 spokes) and was quite nice to work with. He also has a few pieces that he entered in the Spectrum Awards that aren''t in his gallery.

MAC-W: I had my demantoid garnet set in that Leon setting and I love it. It''s so much prettier in person.

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
Oh my... I''m not sure about settings, although I do like the idea of wedging it between two bands (That sounds like something I would choose!! and in a good way!) but that stone makes me drool!!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful stone!! How large is it (ct weight and mm size).

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry - forgot to attach the quote it was my answer to Mac-W.

I absolutely love the second one. Leon Mege's one is one of the versions I was describing, but the second one is spectacular! Would you mind sharing who made it?

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/12/2010 8:34:41 AM
Author: MAC-W

Date: 1/12/2010 12:23:44 AM
Author: crasru
And this.

The color of the stone IRL is totally orange, no secondary. I have a fake orange stone, I was always asking jewelers to find me something that would match the color. No one could, then I saw this picture in Marc''s website and asked him to send me the stone. It is ''spectral'' and absolutely matches my fake ''spessartite''!

I would like an unusual setting, either wedged it between two round rings (sort of ''extreme'' split shank), or set in a gold bezel in a thicker gold ring. As mentioned before, the back will be left open. Can anyone share ideas or recommend a jeweler who does custom modern work and is not too pricey?
Do you mean something like this? http://www.artofplatinum.com/4images/details.php?image_id=442

or for something a little bit different and still quite open how about this (pic attached) but in yellow gold or a mixed white gold / rose gold design?

I have a spess very similar to yours that I''ll be setting this year and these are 2 of the settings I''m considering. It sounds like we might be looking for very similar settings. I''ll be interested to see how yours turns out.

I just have to repeat myself since I forgot to attach the quote. Love the second one! Would you mind sharing who made it?

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/12/2010 9:12:41 AM
Author: Kismet
You might want to contact Peter Lees. He made my one modern piece (it''s in his gallery, the garnet pendant with the 5 spokes) and was quite nice to work with. He also has a few pieces that he entered in the Spectrum Awards that aren''t in his gallery.

MAC-W: I had my demantoid garnet set in that Leon setting and I love it. It''s so much prettier in person.

Looked through Peter Lees setting. Whatever person''s tastes are - when it is beautiful, it is! I shall look into it. Also waiting for an answer from Mac-W.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, that is what I am looking for in a stone. It is vane and childish and a simplified explanation but my idea is, when I enter the room, people across the room see it sparkle! This is my definition of a stone I want. I think this is what a good stone is, everyone notices it. (Some fakes, of course, are even better, that is why I am now carrying a loupe).

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/12/2010 10:41:37 AM
Author: tourmaline_lover
Beautiful stone!! How large is it (ct weight and mm size).
Have to go through a stack of papers at my work but I shall get back to you.

Totally off on a tangent - but I was reading postings about inclusions in spinel and somehow run into pictures of your blue tourmalines in rose gold LOGR setting. Stunning colors.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lovely spess!

I feel like you have so many great options! I wouldn''t even know where to start with recommendations, lol.

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous stone! Can''t wait to see what you do with it!

MAC-W

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Crasru,
sorry for the late reply. I'm in Australia and went to bed not long after posting that so only saw your answer this morning. I'm glad you like it. Its by Thomas Dailing. He's based in Wisconson I think. You can find his website at http://www.dailingdesigns.com/ Unfortunately I cant link direct to that ring but if you click on Spinel its the first ring on display. There's also a full besel version under tourmaline/

Kismet,
do you have a link showing your dematoid ring. Did you get Leon to make it or commission a local jewel to replicate / adapt the design?

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you, MAC-W. I have been to Australia, lovely place. I shall look into jewellers recommended by you and Kismet and see what is affordable. Great ideas.

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/12/2010 5:33:34 PM

Kismet,

do you have a link showing your dematoid ring. Did you get Leon to make it or commission a local jewel to replicate / adapt the design?

It was made by Leon. The original thread is here.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/12/2010 10:06:53 PM
Author: Kismet
Date: 1/12/2010 5:33:34 PM

Kismet,

It was made by Leon. The original thread is here.

Love your demantoid, Kismet. I have a special things for demantoids. Yours is so green! How many carats?

MAC-W

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/12/2010 12:09:39 AM
Author:crasru

This is the Namibian spessartite that I bought from Marc Sarosi

I would appreciate some ideas about the setting.

I would like to leave the back open, so that the light could flow through the stone, and use yellow gold
was playing on the internet and came across this http://www.vincenzotaormina.net/ring_38_stainless_steel_tension_setting_white_pearl.htm#

If they can tension set a pearl then they should be able to tension set a spess. Dont know how reliable the setting would be for your stone long term, but it would definately let maximum light through.

Just a thought, and might be worth further investigation
33.gif

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/18/2010 10:28:34 AM

If they can tension set a pearl then they should be able to tension set a spess.
Don''t bet on it - pearls don''t have a thin section like a girdle. That could be a particularly weak spot (which is why, when it comes to faceted gems, the only ones used for real tension settings are diamonds and maybe sapphires).

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is where I am now:

I chose 4 designers, including Peter Lees and Thomas Dailings. Sent 4 emails. Peter Lees was the first one to respond, so I am discussing the project with him. Thomas Dailing's work is also very interesting, but by the time he answered, I was already actively communicating with Peter. The third designer is amazing, and I am sure I'll comission something from her in the future, but alas, she was the latest to respond. The fourth (it is a company on the vendors' list, and I like their items) - you have either to put yourself on one of popular websites (something like Facebook), or call them, or mail a letter to them! Does not work for me. I shall keep you abreast of the progress.

Magenta

Shiny_Rock
Very pretty spess!

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
BTW if you look at Thomas Dailing''s ring featured in MAC-W post...doesn''t it look as if it were smiling at you?

StonieGrl

Brilliant_Rock
Crasu, love the orange color of your spessie, it certainly does glow. I can''t wait to see how you set it, a stone like that will look great in just about anything. Looking forward!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results