shape
carat
color
clarity

Any help appreciated w/ engagement ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ucbryan

Rough_Rock

Im starting to look for an engagement ring. I found this board two days ago and have been pouring through it to gain as much info as possible from you guys so thanks. Unfortunately I did this after meeting w/ David S Diamonds in the diamond district a few days ago and I did not make great use of my visit there as I am now back West. Regardless I found that their diamond prices at DSD were more expensive then what im finding online. I was under the impression that my money would go further in the diamond district. I can tell you that im looking for a round brilliant. It will be set in a platinum microprong cusion shaped halo w/ micropronged diamonds down the band. Im hoping to get as close to 1.5 carats as i can for my budget which is aroudn $9500 for the stone. Goals for the ring are for there to be as much sparkle/radiance/fire etc...while sacrificing as much color/clarity as reasonable.

I have a few questions if anyone can answer them it would be appreciated.

1. Is there an explanation as to why some of the referenced internet dealers listed here, seemingly have differences in diamond prices. for example Engagement Rings Direct seem to run cheaper than GOG or WhiteFlash. Is it reputation, service etc? or is it the diamond quality themselves? or is that not answerable?

2. If I end up buying a diamond and need to sacrifice in one area more than another, should it be in clarity or color. In specific its between VS2 and S1 versus G and H. I read that clouds/inclusions in the wrong place can interfere w/ performance but not quite sure where or how to convey to dealers that concern in a S1 level diamond.

3. If i buy from an internet dealer, should a buy the competing ones and then have an appraiser here look at them for me? Or do people have good experiences talking with the jewelers on the respective sites, and getting idealscope images. Also what should i request aside from a GIA report and idealscope image?

4. My original plan was to have a jeweler in the diamond district, find a diamond for me after I gave them my specs, and then to make it for me. Has anyone had a successful experience w/ this? My sister had hers done this way and it worked out well but her guy is not accessible now.

5. I was told that if I set this in a halo cushion, that the size difference that I would see from a 1.25carat to a 1.5 wouldnt be that noticeable? Is this true? Ive been finding ones in the 1.3-1.45 range and dont know if its worth getting the larger one if they will look the same in the setting.

6. and can anyone suggest another way for me to do this if im not living in an area where I can actually see the stones?

Thanks for anyones help...its been fun learning about this stuff.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/28/2009 2:11:01 PM
Author:ucbryan

Im starting to look for an engagement ring. I found this board two days ago and have been pouring through it to gain as much info as possible from you guys so thanks. Unfortunately I did this after meeting w/ David S Diamonds in the diamond district a few days ago and I did not make great use of my visit there as I am now back West. Regardless I found that their diamond prices at DSD were more expensive then what im finding online. I was under the impression that my money would go further in the diamond district. I can tell you that im looking for a round brilliant. It will be set in a platinum microprong cusion shaped halo w/ micropronged diamonds down the band. Im hoping to get as close to 1.5 carats as i can for my budget which is aroudn $9500 for the stone. Goals for the ring are for there to be as much sparkle/radiance/fire etc...while sacrificing as much color/clarity as reasonable.

i have a few questions if anyone can answer them it would be appreciated.

1. Is there an explanation as to why some of the referenced internet dealers listed here, seemingly have differences in diamond prices. for example Engagement Rings Direct seem to run cheaper than GOG or WhiteFlash. Is it reputation, service etc? or is it the diamond quality themselves? or is that not answerable? There can be various reasons, services offered such as upgrade policies, level of detail and analysis done for the customer on the diamonds themselves such as reflector images, photography, videos etc, location and overheads and many other reasons. I take it you are considering GIA/ AGS graded diamonds?

2. If I end up buying a diamond and need to sacrifice in one area more than another, should it be in clarity or color. In specific its between VS2 and S1 versus G and H. I read that clouds/inclusions in the wrong place can interfere w/ performance but not quite sure where or how to convey to dealers that concern in a S1 level diamond. I would say clarity, cut is what will give you a pretty diamond, clarity to me is not so visible to the eye so that is where I would economize if it were me. Rarely grade setting clouds can cause a loss of brilliance in SI2, rarer in SI1 - not an issue is ' clouds not shown' in the comments section of a grading report although this can cause confusion. Not shown means insignificant enough not to plot, grade setting clouds = further evaluation warranted. Just tell whoever you are working with your expectations concerning the ' eyecleanliness' of any SI2 diamond so you are on the same page, if you see cloud/s are the grade maker then get expert evaluation. Remember as a rule of thumb, in larger diamonds that the chances increase that SI2 clarity grades might not be eyeclean, not in all cases but it is worth bearing in mind.

3. If i buy from an internet dealer, should a buy the competing ones and then have an appraiser here look at them for me? Or do people have good experiences talking with the jewelers on the respective sites, and getting idealscope images etc and going from there. If I understand you correctly, you can purchase the diamonds you are interested in and arrange for them to be sent to an appraiser near you for evaluation and viewing, but if you work with a vendor who has in house diamonds and can provide you with the tools you need such as Idealscope, then that should be sufficient if that matches your comfort level.

4. My original plan was to have a jeweler in the diamond district, find a diamond for me after I gave them my specs, and then to make it for me. Has anyone had a successful experience w/ this? My sister had hers done this way and it worked out well but her guy is not accessible now. I would prefer to take a more proactive approach personally but it is up to your comfort level.

If you are in NY, I can definitely recommend you visiting www.goodoldgold.com and make an appointment with John if you can take a trip out to LI, he has a brick and mortar store as well as an online inventory.

You can also try Mark at
www.engagementringsdirect.com who are on 47th ST.

Also for custom setting you have Leon Mege in NYC - www.artofplatinum.com

Also Mark Morrell is in Concord MA, www.mwmjewelry.com

5. and can anyone suggest another way for me to do this if im not living in an area where I can actually see the stones?

Thanks for anyones help...its been fun learning about this stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results