shape
carat
color
clarity

Any Guesses?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

PhillipSchmidt

Brilliant_Rock
I hope it is a diamond

I mixed my bag of diamonds used in repars with CZ''s not long ago. In water the difference was obvious and I could sort out the ones with fat girdles pretty easily like that but didn''t take away the rest.

Now when I need a small cheap stone I take them one by one and rub them against a piece of emery paper. A diamond is not affected, but a CZ will become cloudy.

Of course this means you destroy the stone, which seems unfair given what it has been through

Cheers

PS

One other thing, is it a perfect white? If the colour is slightly off white then it is probably a real stone.

orbaya

Brilliant_Rock
Isn't there a jewelry store in Houston that has a diamond tester? Around here a store has a hand held tester with a little "needle" that you put on the table of the stone. After a second if it beeps it's a diamond. They also have a seperate moissanite tester that does the same thing. It just takes a second and I can't believe they would charge you. At least around here they don't. It takes all of 5 seconds to do.

edited because I don't know how to spell!

solange

Brilliant_Rock
I hate to be a killjoy here but there was another post about a "found" diamond.

I did my graduate studies in Criminal Justice and wrote many articles on the subject. I happen to have a copy of The Penal Code of New York .I do not know what the laws are in your state but I think most are similar.

Under larceny:Defined 155.05 section B, By acquiring lost property. A person acquires lost property when he exercizes control over property of another which he knows to be lost or mislaid---without taking reasonable measures to return such property to the owner.

Appropriate measures involve contacting the police department. They take possesion of the article. If a loss report has been filed, they will arrange to return the property to the rightful owner. If an insurance claim has been paid, the property belongs to the insurance company. The police will be required to let you know what action they have taken as to whom they returned it to.

If it turns out to be a diamond, you are not the legal owner unless no one claims it. If it is a diamond, and you choose to keep it, I would be very careful as to where you take it. It may be lazer inscribed and identifiable. If you try to sell it, it may be traceable through a pawnbroker or dealer as stolen or lost property.

Of course it is your decision as to what to do. If it is not a diamond and worth under $50 to $100 you can probably just keep it. However, if it turns out to be of value and you do not intend to turn it over to the police, you should be very careful as to where you take it, particularly if you try to sell it because it does not legally belong to you unless it is unclaimed within a reasonable amount of time. In this case the police will return it to you and it is yours.

Of course it is up to you to do as you wish but it is unlikely that if this is a diamond and of some value a police report and possibly an insurance claim have not been filed.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
solange makes a great point....I have a feeling it may be real from what was noted here, I would just take it in and see for sure. then if it is real, file the police report. you noted you have had it for a few years, so if the thing is NOT laser inscribed (didnt see anything on the girdle in the pictures but I would loupe it if I were you and check) and/or on Gemprinted, it will probably not be claimed since it''s been so long. but at least you will have followed the letter of the law and if it''s not claimed then in the end it may be yours!

one comment, that girdle looks kind of thick eh?

anyhow good luck and I would love to hear what hapepns with it!

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
If you''re in Houston call whiteflash ( Lesley H , Brian or John Quixote here on Pricescope).

They are local to you and they''ll probably have a reliable answer for you in minutes.

John and Brian are honest people, and competent too.

Rockdoc

chantal990

Shiny_Rock
This is a really interesting thread. What a great find. No matter what it trurns out to be it''s still a great story. I''d keep the stone regardless of what it is (providing it''s unclaimed of course) Have you had it tested yet?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results