shape
carat
color
clarity

Any Feng Shui experts here? :)

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We're trying to reorganize DH's home office.

Right now it is in our bedroom, which is on the second story of the house. His desk is facing a wall, and his back is to the staircase (which is essentially the "door" even though there's is no door).

We're thinking of putting the desk against the railing that overlooks the first floor - so he would have the staircase to his left - and we would put a shoji or some other type of screen behind him which would also separate the workspace from the bedroom area and give him some "support". So in that sense I feel it would be a better arrangement - but - this means he would be facing a huge window, which I think is not that great.

I don't know much about Feng Shui and feel like we're stuck between a rock and a hard place. I've thought of possibly relocating the work area to the first floor somewhere - but that is a second alternative - I'd love to see if we can make the upstairs area work.

Any ideas or suggestions?

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Basic feng shui rule is never put computer in bedroom, so get the office out if there. You also dont want to block visuals. As in, you wouldnt want to place the desk in a location where the person sitting down cannot see who is entering your room.

Where is you bed. Once you get the desk out, move it so when you're in bed, you can see who is entering your room. Also, be sure it's not placed under a window as that will take "energy" from you.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks MC.

I didn't even realize it wasn't good to have the office in the bedroom. And I know for a fact DH doesn't know - so I'll tell him that and see if that convinces him to move the desk out of there. Thanks! :))

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yeah, the bedroom is suppose to be dedicated to sleep. No electronics. No TV, etc. (not sure what the rule on an alarm clock is! lol)

We move around a lot so whenever possible I try and line up everything, but right now our bed isn't in the right spot. Also, I go to sleep listening to my ipod. lol

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
M.C the feng shui expert... :lol:

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
MC|1308115176|2946359 said:
Basic feng shui rule is never put computer in bedroom, so get the office out if there. You also dont want to block visuals. As in, you wouldnt want to place the desk in a location where the person sitting down cannot see who is entering your room.

Where is you bed. Once you get the desk out, move it so when you're in bed, you can see who is entering your room. Also, be sure it's not placed under a window as that will take "energy" from you.

haha that's not true... it's not supposed to be under a window because it can break and kill you!

i dont think any of the feng shui books they sell here in the US is "traditional/real"... most of it is made up to trick people.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
ForteKitty|1308269032|2947859 said:

haha that's not true... it's not supposed to be under a window because it can break and kill you!

i dont think any of the feng shui books they sell here in the US is "traditional/real"... most of it is made up to trick people.

Okay...I don't see the trickery behind this...whatever ;-) It's a conspiracy!!!

http://www.artofplacement.com/fengshuibed.htm

http://feng-shui.lovetoknow.com/Feng_Shui_Help_Bed_Position_and_Window

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dancing Fire|1308263403|2947782 said:
M.C the feng shui expert... :lol:

:rolleyes: I didn't see you helping any!

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
MC|1308325989|2948399 said:

Why do you always feel like people are attacking you?

Feng shui isn't just about decoration and how you feel. It's an ancient art, a lot more complicated than moving furniture around, and probably extinct by now. ;-)

These books seem like diet books to me. Gimmicky and all about sales. It's like trying to learn about meridians and pressure points from a book... you can't! These books are self help type books, and will probably help a lot of people. But calling it Feng Shui is deceptive.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
This is completely different than what some creepy old feng shui master man told my mom when i was a little kid, about 25 years ago before feng shui became a new age fad:

Website says: The bed should be facing the door. This provides a sense of security. You can see whoever is entering.

Creepy old man says: bed should never face the door because it's like going into a cremation oven. (That's how you send corpses into ovens back then, feet first)

Also, the reasoning is different:

•Avoid sleeping in a position with your head near a window, since this will allow the chi to leave through the window. You want the chi to flow freely through the bedroom and create a positive energy flow from the windows to the door.
◦According to the ancient principles of feng shui, sleeping with your head close to the window will lead you to feel more tired when you wake up. You're not supposed to do that because back in the day, the windows are drafty and you get a headcold

•Do not place the bed next to the windows or the door.
◦It's best to avoid placing the bed along any wall with windows. Same reason. Back then they didn't have glass windows. Thousands of years ago, the windows had paper. it's drafty and you'll get sick.

They also believed that evil spirits will come and steal you away, so you want to stay away from the windows. That's also what the ba-gua is for. It's an 8 cornered thing w/ a round mirror in the middle. you place it on doors and windows.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
ForteKitty|1308334863|2948513 said:
MC|1308325989|2948399 said:

Why do you always feel like people are attacking you?
eceptive.

I was being sarcastic. Don't give yourself credit for thinking some random comment of yours grants enough power for me to response with anything other than a silly response about american tradition being a conspiracy. Lighten up.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
:lol: relax, we're talking about feng shui here... breathe in, breath out.. calm the chi....

i just noticed that you get snappy w/ a lot of posters here and asked a simple question. And I wanted to point out that the feng shui books these days are largely made up, that's all. No need to get sarcastic. Nobody is trying to exert any kind of power over you.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
ForteKitty|1308430441|2949131 said:
:lol: relax, we're talking about feng shui here... breathe in, breath out.. calm the chi....

i just noticed that you get snappy w/ a lot of posters here and asked a simple question. And I wanted to point out that the feng shui books these days are largely made up, that's all. No need to get sarcastic. Nobody is trying to exert any kind of power over you.

Oh, okay, I didn't realize that. ;-) Only time I recall recently getting snappy was when there was that post about americans having ugly nails (un-feng shui nails). My tone is probably misinterpreted (except, yeah, I would have called 911 about that little girl hanging off the deck so maybe it came out a bit more blunt than meaning too?).

Anyway...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results