shape
carat
color
clarity

Any experts out there

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

blorenz

Rough_Rock
I want to buy from a reputable wholesaler in the houston area

Specs:
Princess cut
VS2 Clarity
G color
0.92 Carat
premium cut, all else very acceptable...ie, depth, table, girdle, etc...

set in white gold cathedral setting
$3800

or...

1.07 carat
princess cut
G color
VS1 clarity
all else equal or better
same setting

both GIA certs

thanks for opinions

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Reputable wholesaler?
that would be an oxymoron, if ever there was such a thing.
Wholesalers sell to privates at higher prices than wholesale.
Full stop.
You will probably buy cheaper of the board here so check it out.

If you are able to actually see the diamonds though this is an advantage - I suggets you arm yourself with an Ideal-Scope and read up from the links above
1.gif

Regarding the setting - the dealer has an advantage there too because you can see what you are getting
1.gif

robbe

Shiny_Rock
cut nut, wholesalers who sell to privates at higher prices than wholesale are protecting the wholesale & retail industry!

what's wrong with that? and anyway, even when priced higher than wholesale, probably still less than retail...

robbe

DiamondExpert

Brilliant_Rock
robbe:

Ahhh, errrr, sorry, but what do you mean by this..."wholesalers who sell to privates at higher prices than wholesale are protecting the wholesale & retail industry!"?

robbe

Shiny_Rock
gary, read cutnut's words :

"Wholesalers sell to privates at higher prices than wholesale.
Full stop.
You will probably buy cheaper of the board here so check it out."

my answer to this is as follows:

1/ of course wholesalers sell to privates at higher prices than wholesale!!!(and paris is a city!!)

if a private consumer gets wholesaleprices, then it's the beginning of the end of the industry. this is why i will never sell to a private consumer at wholesale price, in order to protect the industry.

2/ "buy cheaper of the board" this board clearly has a conflict of interest...and mr cutnut his own personal agenda...as usual...

the first sentence on pricescope's homepage is "No sales here - unbiased info only!"

in fact, when you read the above question of blorenz, this person is asking an opinion between 2 diamonds.

mr cutnut's reply is correct & relevant untill "Full stop". all the rest of his reply is irrelevant and almost unhealthy.

robbe

/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
You may not know Robbe - I sell diamonds at an upmarket B&M biz in Aussie land.
I do not sell diamonds via pricescope.
I provide free infomation and some commercial services to help people buy better cut diamonds.

My axe I grind is a mission (foolishly perhaps) to improve the cut of diamonds.
It is a pretty sharp axe and has cut pretty deeply into a few Internet dealers.

mike04456

Brilliant_Rock
Oy vey, once again with the "wholesaler" business.
rolleyes.gif

Blorenz, is this guy a true wholesaler, i.e., a diamond supplier who sells solely to retailers for resale but is making an exception for you because you're his brother-in-law/cousin/high school classmate? Or is he just a storefront jeweler in some jewelry district who calls himself a "wholesaler" to make people think he has low prices?

The latter case is one of the oldest and most pernicious scams in the trade. A "wholesaler" is someone who sells for resale, period. "Wholesale" is not synonymous with "discount."

Calling yourself a "wholesaler" when you sell to consumers is an FTC violation:

http://www.jvclegal.org/t_a_advcasestudy.html

Thus, if it's the second case above, this individual is hardly "reputable."

lovesparkles

Rough_Rock
Hi Brandon,
I ain't no expert so I won't get into the nomenclature issue.

But would you mind sharing which company you're dealing with? I'm also in Houston and would like to know for my own purposes. ;-) I've heard a lot of good things about Whiteflash. I've also heard a lot of bad things about Fred Cueller at DCI, another local.

Thanks
lovesparkles

robbe

Shiny_Rock
to mr cutnut;

i understand your point and fully appreciate your mission.

however sometimes your replies are formulated in order to

1/ attract consumers to vendors who are related to this site

2/ at the same time creating suspicion towards "reputable" dealers (wholesale or retail) when in fact you don't know them.

3/ (in this case) not realy answering the above question with regard to technical specs.

regards, robbe

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I am sorry that that appearance comes across Robbe.

I may from time to time favor a particular vendor or cutter. It is not for financial reward.
If it comes across that obvious I would be happy for you to PM me as it is quite probably subconcious and happens when i post late at night or early morning - which is when i am mostly on line (remeber I am in Australia, and this is a part time pursuit).

robbe

Shiny_Rock
thank you / don't worry / be well,

robbe

spicolicpa

Shiny_Rock
Boy that was what we Americans call a "Goat Rope".

I have been accused of crusading for the HCA... Its amazing how many feathers one can ruffle with just the mention of the HCA.​

More power to this type of cut analyzer!!!

On a different note, when will we get a cut analyzer that cover sig. more facets of the diamond?

Mikesgirl

Shiny_Rock
Yeah - what is "Goat rope"? That's a new one.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
----------------
On 9/30/2003 5:01:03 PM spicolicpa wrote:

Boy that was what we Americans call a 'Goat Rope'.

I have been accused of crusading for the HCA... Its amazing how many feathers one can ruffle with just the mention of the HCA.​

More power to this type of cut analyzer!!!

On a different note, when will we get a cut analyzer that cover sig. more facets of the diamond?
----------------

Rich i do not know either?

Spic. thankyou for asking great questions on DT.

Sorry that I can not make a hCA with minor facet varible.
The issue is pretty much a beat up by dealers, some (note some) appraisers and GIA pushing the "you can only trust me" line.
BTW you know how hard it is to get major facet proprtions - imagine trying to get minor facets - most Sarin owners do not even know which report gives them!!!

canadiangrrl

Brilliant_Rock
"Goat Rope" is American military slang. It means "a really stupid, screwed up situation." Similar to SNAFU or FUBAR. Don't ask me elucidate on the acronyms.
2.gif

dimonbob

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I have to get in here!

GOAT ROPE?? I spent 20 years in the U.S. Navy Submarine servie and I never heard of any "GOAT ROPES". We had goats (Chief Petty Officers) and goat lockers (where the goats live) but no goat ropes. Must be an Army thing.

Robbe - "Wholesale to the Public" on a diamond dealers door is the entry way to an unethical stone dealer.
Wholesale is a sale from one wholesaler to another or to a retailer. If a wholesaler is actually selling to the public for the same prices that he sells to the retailer, he will no longer get retailers business because he is competing with his own customer. If the wholesaler sells to the the public and sells at a higher price than he sells to the retailer, he is selling at retail and must collect sales tax. If he does not collect sales tax, he is breaking the law. I know "wholesalers" here in Houston that tell their public customers that they sell to the stores here in Houston for the same price. Not true.

Yes, Whiteflash is in Houston and we sell to the public at prices that retailers cannot compete with. Wholesale, no. We don't sell to stores and if you purchase in Houston, you pay sales tax. You also need an appointment to get into our door. If you purchase on the internet and out of state, you don't pay sales tax...YET!
California is trying to figure out a way to get internet companies to collect Calif. sales tax on its citizens.

canadiangrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Dimonbob, my better half's a Lt. Colonel in the USAF, and I've heard it straight from the goat's, uh, horse's mouth.
1.gif
As in, while stuck in traffic around the DC/VA/MD "mixing bowl" - "ohhh, this is a real goat rope!"

Found this via google. Don't shoot the messenger.
1.gif

(3) G.I. slang for: (a) Mass confusion and chaos, also known as a goat rope or Chinese fire drill. Also known, more rarely, as a cluster muck / clustermuck as in bureaucratic clustermuck. (b) An operation gone wrong.

robbe

Shiny_Rock
-goat rope (as found on the net):

This is US military slang meaning a chaotic or out-of-control situation ... similar to "cluster f*ck" or "dog f*ck"/"pooch screw" or "SNAFU". The basic form is "goat f*ck" in the sense of "a goat-f*cking event", thence "goat rape" and the euphemistic "goat rope". The participants in a "goat f*ck" are pictured as engaged in useless pointless activities (such as copulation with animals) rather than in purposeful activity.

-to diamondbob:

i agree.

cheers, robbe

Mikesgirl

Shiny_Rock
Very interesting - thank you all very much. Now I know not to use this term.

spicolicpa

Shiny_Rock
Cool-

Its about time I taught someone here something. (As opposed to being the sponge )

I was a military brat, (The lingo stuck) and a Goat rope is exactly "everything" it has been defined as above and then some....pretty much every redundant, F'd up situation is a Goat Rope.....

Being an accountant I get involved in numerous Goat Ropes daily.

PS>

Please check out my recent post. I am looking into a Round Diamond GIA cert. I posted a new thread on 10-2-03.

Thanks,

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results