shape
carat
color
clarity

Any experience with Orissa Gems?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jbnyc

Rough_Rock
Hi,

I stumbled upon Orissa Gems and found a piece of rough that I am interested in. The problem is I know nothing about this seller and was hoping someone has some experience to share on the matter. I haven''t yet contacted them but I don''t see anything about a return policy. Does anyone have any information/experiences to share about this seller, good or bad?

Thanks,
Jeremy

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jeremy,

Welcome to Coloured Stones. I suppose no one has replied because none here has dealt with Orissa Gems. In looking at their website, they might be a wholesaler. The shipping you would pay would be very expensive given that the least expensive method already costs a minimum of US$49 if you are located in Asia.

I suppose you are interested in purchasing a piece of rough for recutting? Buying rough isn''t easy and it is even more difficult when you are unable to inspect it yourself. It takes a very experienced eye to be able to see if it is facetable in addition to being able to gauge the final colour, shape and size. Be aware that if you are fortunate, the return on a rough after cutting is about 40% at best. If you hit a snag, the return might end up around 25% at worse case scenario. I do not recommend buying rough unless you know the vendor well and you know what you are doing.

jbnyc

Rough_Rock
Thanks Chrono. My original intent with them was to ship the rough to someone much more experienced and if it was a no go to return it. The color is exactly what I''m looking for and having a lot of "waste" from the cutting is ok because I am looking for something around 2 ct and this is nearly 30. I''ve been searching for a while now for a bright green chrysoberyl and the rough they have is very tempting. So much so, that if returns were a possibility I''d consider risking the shipping cost(s) for the chance at the "perfect" stone for me.

I''ve contacted them about returns, shipping, etc. and I''m waiting to hear back but I was hoping that someone had experience and, alas, looks like not.

Thanks,
Jeremy

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am sorry for not being able to help you. I hope you will keep us updated as to the outcome.

jbnyc

Rough_Rock
Thanks for taking the time to reply. I figured I wasn''t getting any replies since no one has dealt with them but I''m glad you replied to confirm what I was thinking/had heard about rough.

I''ve got some "grand plans" for a ring that I''d love to share details with once I have the pieces in place to share them.
26.gif

jbnyc

Rough_Rock
Thanks tourmaline_lover. I''ve seen that piece before it''s pretty awesome, but there are a few "problems" with it. (Personal problems :) ). It''s outside of my budget, it''s the wrong shape (not round) and it''s too big. That said, it''s pretty much exactly the color I''m looking for. I''m confident I''ll find what I''m looking for at some point but I''ll always take/appreciate the help and suggestions.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did you ask RH if that's his final price? Maybe you can make an offer on it. It may be too big, but at least in my opinion, you can never have a too big gem with that amazing color!!

I'm in the same boat as you. I want a specific color and shape in a gemstone, and I even bought some rough to accomodate my wishes.

jbnyc

Rough_Rock
Haha. Well for a solitaire in the setting I''m using as inspiration it might be overpowering. I''m pretty new to gemstones but the bigger ones are always very impressive!

I''d hadn''t thought about asking if that''s the final price but I feel like with my budget the amount I could offer would be an insult (1/2 price at best).
8.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/5/2009 10:18:34 PM
Author: jbnyc
Haha. Well for a solitaire in the setting I''m using as inspiration it might be overpowering. I''m pretty new to gemstones but the bigger ones are always very impressive!

I''d hadn''t thought about asking if that''s the final price but I feel like with my budget the amount I could offer would be an insult (1/2 price at best).
8.gif
It doesn''t hurt to ask, and that''s really a one of a kind stone. It''s really hard to find that charteuse color in a gemstone. Some peridots have it, but they''re very rare and they''re too soft for ring stones.

Hint to you. I would get the stone first and use that as my inspiration for the setting instead of the other way around. Finding amazing colored stones is extremely difficult, especially well cut ones. I made the huge mistake of buying a setting first, and it''s driving me crazy finding the perfect stone for it.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jeremy,
Would you prefer to do the searching yourself or have an experienced vendor find one for you? Have you checked out www.palagems.com ? If you see something you like, Gary Dutton of www.diamondexpert.com will give you the best pricing. He also understands the Pala photography and will be able to advise you can expect the stone to look like in person. For something top notch that is difficult to find, I normally seek out Wink at www.winkjones.com to help me find something nice.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
I agree with Chrono about having someone else do the searching for you (and she gave you great recommendations). This will likely turn out much better than if you try to buy the rough yourself.

jbnyc

Rough_Rock
Thanks t_l. I don''t have a setting yet just an inspiration of something I will have made but I am definitely getting the stone first and letting that help to design what holds it.

Chrono, I''m all a multi-pronged approach to finding the gem. I really like the Chrysoberyl that Jeff White has but again, it''s not the right specs for me. He is looking for rough to cut that would match what I want.

I haven''t contacted the other vendor''s you''ve mentioned. I''ve poked around on the palagems site but the only round that I''ve seen there is too cloudy. That said, I''ll have to try contacting them and the others you mentioned to see if they can help with my search. Thanks for the advice!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results