shape
carat
color
clarity

Any experience with I colored diamond w/ med.blue fluor?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

v1023

Rough_Rock
Hi-

I am currently working with an online vendor and I have been comparing sever diamonds. One of the diamonds I am currently considering is an I colored diamond with med. fluor. I was hesitant to go down to an I colored stone, but the price is more attractive than another diamond I am considering (more $$ to spend on setting). Since I am buying online, I cannot see the stone for myself. I am told that with an I colored diamond, the med. fluor actually makes it appear whiter. Any thoughts or comments on this?

The stone is an AGS ideal cut - 1.85 ct. Since this is a big stone, I was afraid that I may be able to detect some color?!?

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Hi,
Well, I have an H color stone that was graded by EGL, so it is most likely really an I color. And, it is a 3.29 RB, so all the more chance to show tint. Yes, in my opinion, I see a little tint at certain times -- other times it seems very white/colorless. I have also been told it is all in my mind! But, my point I want to make is that my stone does not have any fluorescence, and if it did, like MEDIUM BLUE, such as the stone you are considering, it would make it killer! That would be just the fix to take the edge off any hint of tint I think I might see.
Do you have a viewing period with which you can see the stone and then send back for refund should you decide it is too warm a stone? If so, then go for it. I honestly think you will be pleased, as I know how much different the cost is by going with that color and it then allows you to get into a larger stone for the budget. If you have a return option, then I would have then send for your viewing.

IrishEyes

Brilliant_Rock
What a coincidence! I was just looking at some diamonds yesterday, and one was an I colored princess with medium blue fluor. I know the cuts of princess vs. rounds are different, but this particular stone looked like an H or so to *because* of the fluor. So I think what they say is true - that fluorescence can actually make it appear a little whiter. I personally prefer it! Hope this helps and good luck!!!
9.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
I have a 3c round w/ med/stong blue Fluor. It faces up very white in a platinum setting w/ better color side stones. In my quest, I did view a GIA 3c w/ no fluor (had great numbers) that visable faced up a warmer color. But, I''ve seen other I''s that didn''t. Personally, I wouldn''t buy a stone that *didn''t* have blue fluor.
9.gif

"I'' seems to be when one *may* start to see a yellow hue. But, really depends on the stone. The I w/ med blue, if a good I, could have every chance of facing up quite white. I would ask the vendor their opinion; but, in the end only *your* eyes can decide.

Can you post the numbers & stats? I''d be less excited if the stone had a VVS clarity.

Sounds like this stone could be one serious contender, as listed as an AGS ideal. And, a stone that quite a few savvy PS''ers would look for.
6.gif

Good luck!

glamgirl

Shiny_Rock
Gosh, I really have to chime in here! Well I received a fantasic I colored GIA 3.20 SI-2 very very eye clean carat AGSO
stone with Med blue floresence. It was gorgeous face up very very white, lots of sparkle. For me,I did not notice the tint immediately. After having it mounted in my platinum prong setting I could notice the tint from the side, inside my house, outside, and even in the store. Face up the diamond looked like a F or G, but as I would tilt the stone to the side I would begin to see the color, until the color was definately slight slight champange like color, directly from the side. The yellow from the side really, really, bothered me. Especially with my open mounting. But realize This is a large stone so body color will show more, than maybe a 1 or 2 carat. Now in fairness, I think this would be an awesome stone,
mounted in a bezel setting, or maybe in yellow gold. I know there are many who also would not notice the color, or be bothered by it. I really thought that between the floresence, and platinum that the yellow would be pretty hard to detect, and it was, accept for the side. My vendor is FANTASTIC!!!!!! He has been very gracious, patient, and dedicated to helping me find the right stone. He even sent me a H color just to see, what H would look like. He is in the process of sending me a 3.01 H color slight floresence stone. I will let you know how this turns out. Good Luck!

Iceman

Brilliant_Rock
fluorescence can be a good thing :)

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
I have a "J" with med fluor and it''s super white.

jwlk.JPG

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/10/2005 6
6.gif
5:55 PM
Author: glamgirl
Gosh, I really have to chime in here! Well I received a fantasic I colored GIA 3.20 SI-2 very very eye clean carat AGSO
stone with Med blue floresence. It was gorgeous face up very very white, lots of sparkle. For me,I did not notice the tint immediately. After having it mounted in my platinum prong setting I could notice the tint from the side, inside my house, outside, and even in the store. Face up the diamond looked like a F or G, but as I would tilt the stone to the side I would begin to see the color, until the color was definately slight slight champange like color, directly from the side. The yellow from the side really, really, bothered me. Especially with my open mounting. But realize This is a large stone so body color will show more, than maybe a 1 or 2 carat. Now in fairness, I think this would be an awesome stone,
mounted in a bezel setting, or maybe in yellow gold. I know there are many who also would not notice the color, or be bothered by it. I really thought that between the floresence, and platinum that the yellow would be pretty hard to detect, and it was, accept for the side. My vendor is FANTASTIC!!!!!! He has been very gracious, patient, and dedicated to helping me find the right stone. He even sent me a H color just to see, what H would look like. He is in the process of sending me a 3.01 H color slight floresence stone. I will let you know how this turns out. Good Luck!
Hi, GlamGirl-
You sound like me w/ my 3.29, SI2, that is an EGL H, so probably an I, no flour. I didn''t notice the tint in the beginning, but I guess it grew on me or I''m just psycho (or both!). In my setting, the side view isn''t an issue, it is just the face-up that bothers me.
Yes, I agree with you that for someone looking at a stone in the 1-2 carat range, this probably isn''t as much an issue because it isn''t going to show the color like a 3+ carat stone would. This is something I never even considered when I got this stone as my largest prior was a 1.51, so it was a whole other ballgame in terms of color concerns.
Does your jeweler think that the slight flour will have any affect? I was under the impression that it had to be medium or stron flour to have an impact -- but I''m just learning all this stuff, so I''m really interested in your perception when you view that stone. But, again, it is an H, so that alone is going to look much more colorless to you after wearing your I.
I''ve had a D and an H with flour, mistaking it for a G by some, so for me to go so much larger and into what has got to be realistically an I (not H), is a big stretch in color.

glamgirl

Shiny_Rock
Hi Headlight,
I promise to let you know what I think of this stone when I get it. For me looking at my stone from the side is just as important as looking at it from the top. The best I could describe the stone I returned, in certain lights was a warm brilliancy. The white brilliancy,would kick in with floresence "enhanceing" lighting. The stone was really beautiful, and it was hard to let go of. I could not see ANY inclusions to the eye(twinning wisps). The stone was eye clean. The next stone, that is being shipped has a feather, that the vendor said you could see in certain lighting, and at a certain angle. The feather is not located under the table. I am hoping this 3ct H is better than the I color. I also agree with you, I dont think the slight floresence will add any difference to the color, because I also consistently hear it must be med to strong to make a difference, but I am glad this has a slight flouresence, as opposed to none. I think flouresence is a huge underappreciated bonus.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
I have an F, G & I stone. All with varying degrees of Fluor. From the side, I see no difference side by side with any of the stones. All are in lower profile settings. All are in white metal (one just the prongs)

The best thing to do is to actually see the stone. Stones are graded face down. Many look very different once set face up.

lmurden

Ideal_Rock
I have an I color round diamond with platinum prongs with absolutely no fluoresce and I don''t see any yellow ever from the side or the top and nor did the appraiser! Go for it. Anyway if the vendor has a good return policy don''t hesitate to use it. Good luck.
2.gif

glamgirl

Shiny_Rock
Well the round 3.01 H color stone arrived! Oh my gosh..... it''s a HUGE difference to my eyes! From the top it is the same as the I color with flouresence, however from the side.... Way better! I feel much more comfortable with this color and find it much much harder to detect. This stone is NOT ideal, but the HCA is 1.5, and the stone is MORE, yes more brilliant and sparkly!!! I still am trying to figure this out( see my post under Rocky Talk reguarding diam calc). The stone has a ton of white flashes in all lighting, and lots of fire, but more white flashes. The other stone looked tinged very light champange color begining at a slight angle, and was not as consistent in sparklyness in all the different lighting, but it too sparkled....just differently I still cannot believe that the AGSO 1B cut was not as nice to me!!!

lmurden

Ideal_Rock
Glamgirl I''m with you I love white flashes. I also agree that Ideal cut diamonds aren''t for everyone.

DOC TOO

Rough_Rock
This is my 1.28 I color with Faint Blue Fluor. stright up white in gold setting.Hope this helps.

glamgirl

Shiny_Rock
I am having trouble downloading the pic. Am I doing something wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results