shape
carat
color
clarity

Any experience with AIGL?

mahaha

Shiny_Rock
I'm looking at purchasing a stone from Etsy. However the cert that it comes with is from AIGL (www.gemologylab.com). Haven't heard of this one before. Does anyone have any experience from this lab? Thanks!

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The only American International Gemological Laboratories papers I remember seeing are appraisals for online auction items that struck me as quite inflated (and one instance I distinctly recall, what AIGL called Tahitian pearls sure didn't look like Tahitians to me.) And because even their own web site doesn't provide any reason to be confident in their gem identification-grading abilities, I personally would consider that piece of paper from AIGL to be worthless.

Of course, a meaningless "cert" may not matter if you're considering, e.g., what's represented to be a 4-carat amethyst & the price is just $10 dollars, with free shipping ; - )

P.S. There's another outfit in California, American International Gemologists, that also does appraisals & gem reports; domain name: aiglabs.com It doesn't seem to be well regarded either.

mahaha

Shiny_Rock
Hi Molly. Thank you! I didn't think they were that reputable either. I did contact them and asked what kind of tests they do. They said RI and spectrum testing. I'm no expert, but those are pretty standard tests and not that hard to interpret right?

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I read over your last post and I'm sorry that happened. There are, at least, two AIGL that I'm aware of. There is AIGL based in California that sounds like the company that MollyMalone mentioned (top of report uses blue simple text). There have been questions raised about the accuracy of the report, both in describing the item and the value attached. There is also an AIGL out of india (http://aigl.in/gemstone-certification-lab-report/), which I don't know much about.

I have no idea of your budget, but I saw these Montana Sapphires with lively color sold by a reputable seller and cutter.
and http://www.earthstreasury.com/product/2-05-carat-royal-blue-montana-sapphire-heated/
http://www.earthstreasury.com/product/2-34-carat-royal-blue-montana-sapphire-heated/

Heart Broken

Rough_Rock
FRAUDULENT AIGL APPRAISAL CERTIFICATE
I too had a fraud experience with AIGL APPRAISAL CERTIFICATE the auction company and the auctioneer SCOTT SOWDER & ASSOCIATES, I purchased 11 pieces at an auction in MILLBRAE CA ON FEBRUARY 23, 2019 All of the ITEMS HAD AIGL APPRAISAL CERTIFICATES THAT HAD THE INCORRECT INFORMATION APPRAISAL CERTIFICATES ON THE DIAMONDS, SAID IS1 BUT WHEN I WENT TO SELL THE 18 CARAT DIAMOND BRACELET WITH 26 DIAMONDS IN IT THE DIAMONDS WERE IS3, FROM A GIA CERTIFIED GEMOLOGIST AT MICHAAN'S AUCTIONS AND APPRAISERS
THE THE QUALITY WENT DOWN THE TOILET,
BECAUSE OF THE REPORT I PAID $23,000 FOR IT.
AND BECAUSE OF THE INFLATED DIAMOND AND COLORED STONE QUALITY I OVERPAID $70,000 OF ACTUAL FAIR MARKET VALUE MY BILL WAS $132,000
PLEASE CONTACT ME SO WE CAN PURSUE A LAWSUIT AGAINST ALL OF INVOLVED PERSONS, THEY CAN NOT CONTINUE TO TRAVEL AROUND TO CITIES IN THE GREATESt USA AND RIP PEOPLE OFF

Anne111

Shiny_Rock
With all compassion, spending such an amount without proper education is outright reckless, unless such amounts are small change in your household, then it's simply never-mind.

Jamiesadie

Rough_Rock
I too had a fraud experience with AIGL APPRAISAL CERTIFICATE the auction company and the auctioneer SCOTT SOWDER & ASSOCIATES, I purchased 11 pieces at an auction in MILLBRAE CA ON FEBRUARY 23, 2019 All of the ITEMS HAD AIGL APPRAISAL CERTIFICATES THAT HAD THE INCORRECT INFORMATION APPRAISAL CERTIFICATES ON THE DIAMONDS, SAID IS1 BUT WHEN I WENT TO SELL THE 18 CARAT DIAMOND BRACELET WITH 26 DIAMONDS IN IT THE DIAMONDS WERE IS3, FROM A GIA CERTIFIED GEMOLOGIST AT MICHAAN'S AUCTIONS AND APPRAISERS
AND BECAUSE OF THE INFLATED DIAMOND AND COLORED STONE QUALITY I OVERPAID $70,000 OF ACTUAL FAIR MARKET VALUE MY BILL WAS $132,000
PLEASE CONTACT ME SO WE CAN PURSUE A LAWSUIT AGAINST ALL OF INVOLVED PERSONS, THEY CAN NOT CONTINUE TO TRAVEL AROUND TO CITIES IN THE GREATESt USA AND RIP PEOPLE OFF
They ripped me off too! Appraised at 32k and worth 1500 maybe!

AIGL_Gemologist

Rough_Rock
Trade
Hello all,
I am a gemologist working for the AIGL company based in Los Angeles. All of our gemologists are GIA graduate gemologists and some have been in the jewelry industry for over 25 years. We do not buy or sell jewelry and so our appraisals are completely unbiased. The diamonds and gemstones are graded in the mounting which may lead to varying opinions in the quality of the gemstones.
In response to Heart Broken,
We are very sorry about your unfortunate experience with Scott Sowder & Associates. Our appraisals are not meant to be used as sales tools, but for insurance purposes only. Keep in mind that Michaan's auctions do buy and sell their own jewelry and it is in their best interest to lowball their appraisal in hopes you will sell them the piece in order to turn a profit.
Thank you

Scott Sowder

Rough_Rock
Sorry to hear you had a bad experience but it 1000% was not with me I'm an independent auctioneer I sell things for a living we have you carefully look over everything and urge you to do your own research before bidding and you also sign an addendum that the company does not guarantee the appraisal's I am not the company I'm an auctioneer if you need to speak with the company I would check your bill again and call the number again provided as of this slanderous reply you've made on me it is without a doubt not Scott sowder & associates you would need to be slamming I simply sell items and if you won your bid then congratulations on winning as several other bidders were at the event and you kept bidding so again if you have or had any doubts it's not with me but rather with the company the auction is conducted auction events otherwise known as empire, westfield, windsor, AE in Chatsworth you talked to Tina and anyone in the office I don't even conduct auctions for them anymore.
It's unfortunate you had a bad experience but that hate is directed at the wrong person! Take care!

Scott Sowder

Rough_Rock
And as for the previous reply most likely that is auction events reply or one of the other many names they carry I only worked for them for a short time if you their number again it is on your bill!

D9ballfarm

Rough_Rock

Are you going to sue them for fraud. Might be interested

jewelrymouse

Rough_Rock

Did you file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau? They will help you. There is another complaint just like yours. I believe the auctioneers may work with the appraisers. I have been told that the gemologist(s) do not even look at each item. They would need a team of hundreds to do so.

jewelrymouse

Rough_Rock
Sorry to hear you had a bad experience but it 1000% was not with me I'm an independent auctioneer I sell things for a living we have you carefully look over everything and urge you to do your own research before bidding and you also sign an addendum that the company does not guarantee the appraisal's I am not the company I'm an auctioneer if you need to speak with the company I would check your bill again and call the number again provided as of this slanderous reply you've made on me it is without a doubt not Scott sowder & associates you would need to be slamming I simply sell items and if you won your bid then congratulations on winning as several other bidders were at the event and you kept bidding so again if you have or had any doubts it's not with me but rather with the company the auction is conducted auction events otherwise known as empire, westfield, windsor, AE in Chatsworth you talked to Tina and anyone in the office I don't even conduct auctions for them anymore.
It's unfortunate you had a bad experience but that hate is directed at the wrong person! Take care!

Consider hiring different appraisers who offer accurate appraisals. You are using one that uses a stamp for his name. Can you imagine how many get run through this mill? If I were an auctioneer, I would want accuracy. I would not be ok with "we tell you to carefully look over everything and urge you to do your own research." Do you offer to have your items appraised by the potential bidders' gemologist? Otherwise, there is no way a person can do that. "I sell things for a living" does not excuse your behavior.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results