shape
carat
color
clarity

Any Blood Donors Out There???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
I have been a regular blood donor for many many years now. It concerns me that hardly anyone that I know donates blood. How about you guys? Does anyone donate? If not, why not??? It is so important, but I know there are many medical reasons that can keep someone from donating.

rockzilla

Brilliant_Rock
I try to donate frequently. But, I am often turned down because my iron levels are low...due to being a vegetarian (most Americans'' iron comes from the red meat in their diet).

aussiegirl23

Shiny_Rock
I have O-negative blood and have been donating every 8 weeks (unless sick, on vacation, etc) since I was 18
9.gif

I get calls from places all over the US where I have lived... they''re always desperate & I always feel guilty even if I''ve donated recently!

You''re not alone -- And THANK YOU for donating!!

Aussie : p

dfm00

Rough_Rock
Double Red every 4 months. Good for you, and work on your friends!

Dave

Aurelia

Shiny_Rock
Sundial,

I also have O negative blood so when the hospital I work at knows I am elegible again they come and find me during my shift - no joke!

But really, they don''t need to track me down - it''s my routine excuse for a snack-pack of Oreos!
11.gif

Aurelia

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Sundial,
I have donated in the past. The blood drive is near UNM so I would stop by between classes when I was in college. I also did it my senior year of high school.

My friend donates every other month (she is a good person) and she told me that I probably could not donate since I went to Englad durning the hoof and foot quarentine and ate meat. I don''t know if that is bogus; I should find out the truth.

You are such a good soul, Sundial
12.gif

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Good for you blood donors!!!!
36.gif
Especially the O- types. I am O- but cannot donate because I don''t weigh enough and I am frequently anemic. I wish I could, though. I think it is so simple and so important. My hubby donates frequently.

dfm00

Rough_Rock
Skippy, the travel restrictions are meant to address possible exposures to malaria, HIV type O, or CJD ("Mad Cow"). The last is probably what your friend is thinking of, since it involves the UK. Detailed info on CJD-related restrictions from the Red Cross website:

In some parts of the world, cattle can get an infectious, fatal brain disease called Mad Cow Disease. In these same locations, humans have started to get a new disease called variant Creutzfeld-Jacob Disease (vCJD) which is also a fatal brain disease. Scientists believe that vCJD is Mad Cow Disease that has somehow transferred to humans, possibly through the food chain.
There is now evidence from a small number of case reports involving patients and laboratory animal studies that vCJD can be transmitted through transfusion. There is no test for vCJD in humans that could be used to screen blood donors and to protect the blood supply. This means that blood programs must take special precautions to keep vCJD out of the blood supply by avoiding collections from those who have been where this disease is found.
At this time, the American Red Cross donor eligibility rules related to vCJD are as follows:
You are not eligible to donate if:
From January 1, 1980, through December 31, 1996, you spent (visited or lived) a cumulative time of 3 months or more, in the United Kingdom (UK), or
From January 1, 1980, to present, you had a blood transfusion in any country(ies) in the (UK). The UK includes any of the countries listed below.
  • Channel Islands
  • England
  • Falkland Islands
  • Gibraltar
  • Isle of Man
  • Northern Ireland
  • Scotland
  • Wales
You were a member of the of the U.S. military, a civilian military employee, or a dependent of a member of the U.S. military who spent a total time of 6 months on or associated with a military base in any of the following areas during the specified time frames
  • From 1980 through 1990 - Belgium, the Netherlands (Holland), or Germany
  • From 1980 through 1996 - Spain, Portugal, Turkey, Italy or Greece.
You spent (visited or lived) a cumulative time of 5 years or more from January 1, 1980, to present, in any combination of country(ies) in Europe, including
  • in the UK from 1980 through 1996 as listed in above
  • on or associated with military bases as described above, and
  • in other countries in Europe as listed below:
    • Albania
    • Austria
    • Montenegro (Federal Republic of Yugoslavia)
    • Belgium
    • Bosnia/Herzegovina
    • Bulgaria
    • Croatia
    • Norway
    • Poland
    • Czech Republic
    • Denmark
    • Romania
    • Finland
    • France
    • Slovak Republic (Slovakia)
    • Germany
    • Greece
    • Spain
    • Hungary
    • Ireland (Republic of)
    • Italy
    • Kosovo (Federal Republic of Yugoslavia)
    • Liechtenstein
    • Luxembourg
    • Macedonia
    • Netherlands (Holland)
    • Portugal
    • Serbia (Federal Republic of Yugoslavia)
    • Slovenia
    • Sweden
    • Switzerland
    • Turkey
    • Yugoslavia (Federal Republic includes Kosovo, Montenegro, and Serbia)

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
I should try again. I don''t think my blood type is very in demand since I''m an AB-, but I guess it could be used for plasma.
I was turned away when I tried because I''m very light weight.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
oh, then I could donate. I should do it since they are doing a blood drive at my office!!! I am excited
9.gif

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
I have O negative blood as well and I wish I could donate, but my blood vessels are so tiny that when I need to get blood samples taken they use a baby needles and it takes a very long time...
7.gif
But my sister (also O negative) and my brother donate regularly.

marvel

Brilliant_Rock
I''m an O+ and donate on a regular basis. For a long time I couldn''t donate because I was under 110lbs. I plan on being under 110lbs, but until then, I''ll be donating. I have been turned away because of low iron levels.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gosh, you guys; I wish I had that issue of being underweight.
2.gif

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I used to donate about twice a year, unfortunately the last time I donated was November 2001, right after 9/11...I have been a bit leary of donating since because even though I took good care of myself back then and made sure to eat adn be well-hydrated that day, I spent the rest of the day on my couch in my apt. totally exhausted. Luckily it was my day off work and I could afford to sort of lounge around, but since then I fear doing it because I feel like I''d have to devote a whole day of rest again. I''m also A+, which isn''t a rare type from what I understand.

My mom is O- and has always been a religious donor, which is something she instilled in me. I also have a few friends who work at hospitals and donate frequently as well...

Kudos to all of you who donate!

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
I''m O- but I have the same problem as Anchor... my veins are almost impossible to get to and I''m a slow bleeder. They had to take blood from my hand on Tuesday for a sample and it took about 5 minutes just to get the needle in and another 4 just to get a tube of blood and my hand still aches. I don''t think it would be a positive experience for me. My FI is O+ and donates frequently. I wish I could.

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for responding! Wow we have a lot of O negatives here. I am O postive myself.

Rockzilla and Marvel I''ve had the same problem with the low iron. It must be more common than I realized, but usually they spin my blood and then decide it is okay for me to go ahead and donate.

AussieGirl, Dave, and Aurelia good for you guys being regulars!!!
36.gif
And yes those Oreos don''t hurt either!

Skippy I also visited England and Dave is right you should be okay to donate. Don''t forget to make that office blood drive!
9.gif

Miranda, Innerkitten, and Marvel we are just going to have to fatten you guys up!
2.gif
That is a common reason that keeps some women like my daughter from donating.

Anchor and Sumbride I have never heard about small veins causing problems with the blood flow, but it makes sense and it doesn''t sound like donating would be a pleasant experience for you guys.

Monarch I''m sorry you had a bad experience after your last donation, but maybe someday you can try again and it might go better for you.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ha, Sundial I wouldn''t say I had a BAD experience...it just took a lot out of me which surprised me because I''d donated before with no problem. As I mentioned in my post, I would gladly do it again as often as possible if I knew I had the time off from work to rest after donating, or could find a weekend sometime when I knew I could get in some couch potato time. Thinking back on the last time, though, now I do remember being probably two sizes smaller and maybe not being quite as healthy as I thought I was...and I was also one of those 20-somethings who ran themselves ragged working, going out, etc. I will definitely donate again in the future, in fact thanks for starting this thread because after I go for my yearly physical this spring I think I will look into starting to donate again.

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/1/2007 10:52:36 PM
Author: monarch64
Ha, Sundial I wouldn''t say I had a BAD experience...it just took a lot out of me which surprised me because I''d donated before with no problem. As I mentioned in my post, I would gladly do it again as often as possible if I knew I had the time off from work to rest after donating, or could find a weekend sometime when I knew I could get in some couch potato time. Thinking back on the last time, though, now I do remember being probably two sizes smaller and maybe not being quite as healthy as I thought I was...and I was also one of those 20-somethings who ran themselves ragged working, going out, etc. I will definitely donate again in the future, in fact thanks for starting this thread because after I go for my yearly physical this spring I think I will look into starting to donate again.
That''s a good idea Monarch to wait until you have a physical and then you can check with your doctor. It is hard if you are working and concerned that you might not feel well afterwards.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am also A + which is not universal or in as high demand, but I have donated blood in the past...

San Diego Bride

Shiny_Rock
i donated regularly, but i've been banned for a year since i stuck myself with a needle at work.
39.gif

all of the tests (mine and the patient on which i was using the needle before it found itself in my finger) were negative, thankfully, but i still can't show up for a year.

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Good for you for donating Diamondfan and I hope that you will continue. I am sure that they can still use your blood type.

Novia I am glad to hear that you didn''t have any other problems because of the needle prick. I know that they ask you about accidental contact with a needle when you donating, but I didn''t realize that it would keep you from giving blood for a year.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
B- donor here. Apparently there''s not too many of us around because I''m constantly being asked to donate.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
I used to donate every 8 weeks, but can no longer due to a medical issue.

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
My DH was a regular blood donor but he has developed a medical problem that requires him to be on Cumadin so he can''t donate anymore. The first time I tried to donate blood, I hadn''t eaten lunch. I said to my DH "Are you sure I should be doing this on an empty stomach?" He said "Oh, you''ll be fine." Famous last words. I had made it through almost the whole thing and then the nurse was moving the needle around in my hand (for what reason I''m not sure) and it was rather uncomfortable, and I though "Uh oh." That was it, I went off to la la land as in I fainted. It was rather embarassing. I doubt I will try to donate again. I have a way of psyching myself into or out of things. Knowing myself, I have a feeling if I tried to donate again, I would be remembering the fainting episode and be so worried about it, that I''d probably do it to myself again. I think it''s wonderful when people donate blood. At least I signed up to be an organ donor on my driver''s license. I won''t have to worry about being squeemish at that point.

larussel03

Brilliant_Rock
I donate blood whenever I can. I always get really woozy though and tired for a day or two, so I have to make sure I have someone with me and that I don't have to work or anything the next day. For the last year I actually was ineligible b/c of a tattoo I got last March, but I'm coming back up on when I can start donating again.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/2/2007 10:27:57 AM
Author: Cind11
My DH was a regular blood donor but he has developed a medical problem that requires him to be on Cumadin so he can''t donate anymore. The first time I tried to donate blood, I hadn''t eaten lunch. I said to my DH ''Are you sure I should be doing this on an empty stomach?'' He said ''Oh, you''ll be fine.'' Famous last words. I had made it through almost the whole thing and then the nurse was moving the needle around in my hand (for what reason I''m not sure) and it was rather uncomfortable, and I though ''Uh oh.'' That was it, I went off to la la land as in I fainted. It was rather embarassing. I doubt I will try to donate again. I have a way of psyching myself into or out of things. Knowing myself, I have a feeling if I tried to donate again, I would be remembering the fainting episode and be so worried about it, that I''d probably do it to myself again. I think it''s wonderful when people donate blood. At least I signed up to be an organ donor on my driver''s license. I won''t have to worry about being squeemish at that point.
I had donated for many years, and then, two or three times in a row, I went faint, too, and was told to stop. I have attributed it to getting overweight. I would like to lose weight and try again.

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for being a regular Michelle!

There are so many medical reasons that keep people from donating anymore that it is all the more important that those who can do so.

I have a number of friends who tried donating and felt woozy or faint and didn't want to do it again. At least you guys tried Cind and Regular Guy and maybe one day you can give it another go! Sweetpea hope you are able to continue donating in the future.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
cant because of blood thinners since 96.
A huge thanks to everyone that donates!
I might need it someday with the blood thinners if I get cut.
Thanks!!

oshinbreez

Brilliant_Rock
Dr told me years ago that I couldn''t donate. Something about small veins. I don''t know. I should see if they''d take me.

My dad always gave blood. He had several plaques for 10 and 20 gallon clubs. He was a special man.

Thanks to all that donate. You''re lifesavers.
36.gif

treysar

Brilliant_Rock
I’m all about the juice and lorna dunes...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results