shape
carat
color
clarity

Any Blood Donors Out There???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
I''m either O- or +, can''t remember which, probably -. Hmm, I thought that I couldn''t because of the medications but I looked at the redcross site and it turns out it''s not a problem.
I think I''ll go donate blood when I get back. It''s not like I''m scared of needles. I have had so many blood tests that I have little pockmarks over my good vein, so I guess I''ll just have to be extra hydrated to make it easier to get to the other veins.

A tip for those new to getting needles stuck in your veins: Drink as much fluids like water or juice as possible beforehand. It plumps up the veins and makes them easier and less painful to hit.
5.gif

Thanks for starting the topic! No more excuses for me!

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/1/2007 10:46:31 PM
Author: Sundial
Thanks for responding! Wow we have a lot of O negatives here. I am O postive myself.

Rockzilla and Marvel I''ve had the same problem with the low iron. It must be more common than I realized, but usually they spin my blood and then decide it is okay for me to go ahead and donate.

AussieGirl, Dave, and Aurelia good for you guys being regulars!!!
36.gif
And yes those Oreos don''t hurt either!

Skippy I also visited England and Dave is right you should be okay to donate. Don''t forget to make that office blood drive!
9.gif

Miranda, Innerkitten, and Marvel we are just going to have to fatten you guys up!
2.gif
That is a common reason that keeps some women like my daughter from donating.

Anchor and Sumbride I have never heard about small veins causing problems with the blood flow, but it makes sense and it doesn''t sound like donating would be a pleasant experience for you guys.

Monarch I''m sorry you had a bad experience after your last donation, but maybe someday you can try again and it might go better for you.
Hahaha!!! Thanks, but, no thanks Sundial!!! I couldn''t even gain weight if I tried...It makes my sister furious!
28.gif

Aloros

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve never tried donating. I had to have a little blood drawn for a physical once. They poked me three times in one arm, four times in the other. Once they finally got the blood drawn, I fainted and then threw up. Very strange since I am not in the least bit squeamish. Since then I''ve just avoided it.

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Storm your situation is a good reminder why we NEED to donate.

Oshinbreez kudos to your Dad for donating for all those years! Maybe someday they'll let you too.

Indie you go girl and thanks for the tip on the fluids!

Miranda you are one lucky gal!!!

Aloros if you decide to give donating a try take a friend along who has donated before and be sure to eat and drink lots of fluids before and after your donation. Don't rush out right after you donate either. Take 15 minutes or so to sit around and relax before you leave to make sure you feel okay.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i''ve donated more than 5 gallons at stanford alone [yes, i''m an old bird by pricescope standards] .....years before that i was in the central valley and did it through red cross. i am A- blood type which is rather in demand [like others they track me down] and have never had whatever the virus is that most people get so my blood can be used for premies and heart surgery patients. i have small veins that roll, not very fond of needles, and giving is not that easy for me. however, my body replenishes what is taken in a relative short period of time and helps so many others. the discomfort i feel is so brief i cannot justify not doing it. i was an inspiration to my boyfriend now husband who now is a regular donator also.

movie zombie

indecisive

Brilliant_Rock
O+ here. I try to donate as much as possible but I bleed pretty slowly and I don''t have great veins so they don''t jump for joy at having to draw blood
15.gif
from me

katebar

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve recently commenced donating after a hiatus of a few years. I''m a A+ too like DiamondFan but stocks are always down in my town. Interestingly they no longer give tea or coffee after as they say it dehydrates you, My dad used to donate every couple of months for about 40 years and they used to give them a 360ml bottle of beer.
9.gif
i t was quite a party but oh how things have changed.

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
MZ I'm an old bird too and I think it is outstanding that you and Indecisive donate even though it isn't a very pleasant experience for you.

Katebar they give those juice boxes now where I donate, but I like the good old days when your Dad got beer better!
2.gif
Glad you are donating again.

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
I am O+ and ashamed to say that I haven''t been donating much in the past few years. I had blood taken regularly for other reasons, therefore I didn''t want to have any more needles than necessary.....but since that is done, I have no more excuses.

My DH is a regular contributor with his A+ blood and I give him a big
emthup.gif
for that.

Your thread has me thinking sundial, so next time hubby goes, so will I.
1.gif

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
I''m underweight too. They told me I''d have hardly any blood left if they took what they needed.
6.gif

So while I was in college and grad school, I volunteered at the blood drives instead.

I actually don''t even KNOW my blood type. That''s bad, isn''t it? Do most people know?

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t weigh enough either. And I''ve only had blood drawn once and it was intensely painful. They had to take it from both arms since they couldn''t get very much out of each arm. Only a few drops. I don''t know my blood type either though. We tested it in high school, lol, and it was AB or something. Well, assuming I did the test correctly.

*M*

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/1/2007 8:41:29 PM
Author:Sundial
I have been a regular blood donor for many many years now. It concerns me that hardly anyone that I know donates blood. How about you guys? Does anyone donate? If not, why not??? It is so important, but I know there are many medical reasons that can keep someone from donating.
Up until about a year ago I donated regularly, but now I am technically "underweight" so I don't anymore.

Disclaimer: My father is an Emergency Room physician, and if he weren't I don't know that I think to donate. I'm A+ (as is he) and so my blood isn't in high demand. My mom, who's O (can't remember - or +), can never donate because she's very anemic
8.gif

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
I am very healthy and my blood has a lot of iron, but I was always under the required weight, so I lied on the paper (said I was 113) and donated anyway. They never actually asked me to step on a scale... until this year at an event at work. It was kind of embarassing when they asked me to take off my boots and step on the scale, and I had to pretend I didn''t know I weighed 107 lbs. My co-workers all laughed at me.

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/2/2007 9:44:22 PM
Author: hlmr
I am O+ and ashamed to say that I haven''t been donating much in the past few years. I had blood taken regularly for other reasons, therefore I didn''t want to have any more needles than necessary.....but since that is done, I have no more excuses.

My DH is a regular contributor with his A+ blood and I give him a big
emthup.gif
for that.

Your thread has me thinking sundial, so next time hubby goes, so will I.
1.gif
Good for your husband Hlmr and good for you if you decide to join him!!!
36.gif

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
We envy you underweight gals, but it does keep you from donating. They are very strict on the rules. Once I tried to donate a day before my eight weeks was up because I was going out of town and they wouldn't take me! Independent Gal it is nice that you volunteer at the drives anyway.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/2/2007 9:05:57 PM
Author: katebar
I''ve recently commenced donating after a hiatus of a few years. I''m a A+ too like DiamondFan but stocks are always down in my town. Interestingly they no longer give tea or coffee after as they say it dehydrates you, My dad used to donate every couple of months for about 40 years and they used to give them a 360ml bottle of beer.
9.gif
i t was quite a party but oh how things have changed.
If they gave out beer now, I bet there would be many more donors, LOL!

kev_800

Shiny_Rock
I am AB- and in excellent health. I really should donate but I have heard that there isn''t much of a need for AB- since it is considered the universal receiver.. but only other AB- people can take it, and its rare. I really should donate though. Thanks for making me feel guilty!
7.gif

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Come on Kev, there is probably somebody out there who needs your blood type! You might ask your local blood drive about it.

TheDoctor

Shiny_Rock
I donated blood the first day I was able to, my 18th birthday. Since then, more than 50 donations, so not really regular. Missed a few years, but got back to it when the mobile clinics set up close to my work, and now I seldom miss a regular donation.
I do tire of the questionaires, though....all those intimate questions, over and over, and my life must seem pretty boring when I must answer no repeatedly.

divergrrl

Ideal_Rock
Good topic Sundial...now I have one more thing to feel guilty about...
emangel.gif

I have O Negative blood too, I guess I should look into donating eh?

I''m a little chicken....tell me EXACTLY (blow by blow) what can I expect during a donation? I know I get very faint & grossed out when I have to have blood drawn (I can''t look or else I puke/pass out cold---but other people''s blood doesn''t bug me at all, just mine!! weird eh?)

I''m pregnant right now & probably cannot donate, but I am healthy & according to my insurance company, clean as a whistle & good to give life insurance to!

That would be a nice thing to "give back" once I''m done cooking this little piglet inside of me.

Jeannine

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
David I'm glad you are donating regularly again. Do they at least give you the short form questions that they use for regular donors?

Jeannine as you realize there can be no donating while you are pregnant, but if in the future you feel so inclined your blood would be very much in demand. You schedule an appointment to donate or attend a blood drive. They will take your blood pressure and do a finger prick to test your blood. Then they ask you all of these questions that David alluded to. They have to do with any medications you might be taking, any places out of the country that you might have traveled, and even sexual behavior that might make you at risk for the AIDS virus. It is standard stuff for everyone though. If everything seems okay they take you to a reclining type chair to relax during the actual donation. They insert a needle into the large vein on the inside of your arm at the elbow joint and attach it with some of that stretchy tape (you don't have to look). Blood begins to flow into the attached tube and is accumulated in a clear plastic pouch. They give you something soft to squeeze every so often to help the flow. When it is full they remove the needle and have you hold up your arm for a minute while you hold some gauze over the tiny wound to make sure it stops bleeding. Then they bandage your arm and ask you to leave it in place for at least four hours. They like for you to remain for at least 15 minutes after your donation to make sure you don't feel faint or light headed. They have juice and cookies for you to snack on. You always want to make sure that you eat well and drink lots of fluids before and after a donation. It really isn't as bad as it sounds, but it would be nice for you to take someone with you who has donated before.

MiniMouse

Brilliant_Rock
I used to donate regularly, but ever since the issue of Mad Cow Disease came about, Brits are not allowed to donate blood in Saudi Arabia. I would if I could, but not allowed.

dmbfan

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/2/2007 11:37:09 AM
Author: oshinbreez
Dr told me years ago that I couldn''t donate. Something about small veins. I don''t know. I should see if they''d take me.

My dad always gave blood. He had several plaques for 10 and 20 gallon clubs. He was a special man.

Thanks to all that donate. You''re lifesavers.
36.gif
thats awsome, I hope to get there one day.

I am O+ and have been donating for as long as I can remember. I lost track of how much I donated about 10 yrs ago so I started the count again about 5 yrs ago and my next donation will be 2 gallons since I stated keeping track. I have tried 3 times in the last 2 months but something alwayscome up (Dentist appt, cut on my hand) so in about 3 more weeks I will join the 2 gallon klan. I am 215 and my veins are just asking to get drawn, since I have no problems donating I do it as much as I can. I figured, what goes around, comes around.

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
MiniMouse there are restrictions on people who have lived in the UK that keep them from donating in the US too because of Mad Cow.

DmbFan keep up the good work!!!

SDL let''s get to a blood drive and give it a try! Somebody needs your blood.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results