shape
carat
color
clarity

Any birders here? Massive migration tonight in the US.

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I have spent over $500 this spring/summer getting started with my new hobby. Any other birdwatchers around?

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I learned, just yesterday, that praying mantis hunt and kill hummingbirds! I found this guy and relocated him, moved my feeders, and my two hummers found the feeders again without issue. I refilled all my feeders and I hope to see some new visitors to the yard over the coming weeks!
6D90AEC2-FA72-409D-B258-E4C3EBDBA027.jpeg

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I am a luddite but love birds and have bird books. And my DH bought me not one but TWO pair of binoculars. (ya for me, right...) He thought he saw a blue jay last week--don't get 'round here....

cheers--Sharon

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just put out 4 hummingbird feeders today because one was doing the “you shall not pass” thing they do. I am under a migratory pathway so we will turn off lights tonight. Thanks.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I start feeding the birds in late December. We have people who feed them all summer into fall and the birds stay. Then those people stop feeding them. That's where I step in. I put out about 3 pounds of no mess bird seed and spread it out under a large pine tree every day. I put out 3 suet feeders. I gradually stop feeding them in May.

What's really interesting is the birds remember. The day I start feeding them- I will have about 50 birds visit. The first year I started feeding it took a couple weeks for the birds to find the food. The next year a few days. Every year after that- the birds are there the same day.

Last year was a tough year for the birds in my area. I actually had a hawk visit and eat bird seed. I took pictures because I knew no one would believe me. He stood side by side with the nut finches, the blue jays, the red winged blackbirds, the sparrows and the cardinals and ate the bird food. He must have been desperate. I also get Carolina wrens which are rare in my area. So keep watch- you might see some interesting things.

1ofakind

Brilliant_Rock
Birdwatcher/lover here! I miss the birds from our previous house including a resident pair of barred owls plus just a greater variety than what I see here. We do have some different birds here though. We live on a small lake, herons and osprey come to fish. I'm hoping one day an eagle will find the pond and put on a show! We get interesting migrating ducks all spring. I have seed feeders out all year and a nice pair of binoculars. I have a camera that I'm still barely capable of using.

@whitewave Try spreading your hummingbird feeders farther apart or even out of sight from each other. Even when one hummer gets territorial others can still get in to feed. There are usually a few smart ones waiting out of sight and when the territorial bird is busy chasing they swoop in for a quick sip.

@LisaRN Carolina Wrens are what I miss the most here! They are such fun birds with big voices and big personalities. I did see a house wren this year but I haven't given up hope of a Carolina Wren finding it's way here.

Yelena

Shiny_Rock

I have spent over $500 this spring/summer getting started with my new hobby. Any other birdwatchers around?

Hi KristinTech, welcome to the club! I have been a bird watcher for many years, although I live in Australia so I won’t be able to enjoy watching the migration. I provide water and some food as well for my local birds and I agree with Lisa RN that birds remember. I enjoy watching the cycle of the seasons and the birds are a beautiful part of that cycle. Enjoy!

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great topic!

I love nature and wildlife, so that includes birds!

I'm in Canada and some birds stay all year, some are tourists (like the wonderful hummingbirds who are here - in my particular location - from May until mid-September), and some are simply en route heading further North in the Spring and then heading South again about this time of year. One of those birds who simply pass through on their way elsewhere is the Rose-Breasted Grosbreak; a couple showed up a few days ago and are here for a brief visit before moving on. There's an amazing variety of birds that come to the backyard, including Pileated Woodpeckers - they're beautiful large woodpeckers, with a unique call, and I believe they live in the large protected conservation area that is next to my home. I have visits from hawks (Cooper's hawk or Sharp-shinned hawk, or both - I find them hard to distinguish from each other sometimes). The hawks are always on the hunt for prey, not seed. Once I had a hawk dining on a bird in my backyard. I was given a small bird house last year and this Summer a pair of House Wrens decided it was safe to move in and raise a family. Its fascinating seeing the various birds and their young.

I have different types of feeders, and different types of seed/woodpecker cake that I put out, and a cage that goes around one feeder - small birds (Goldfinches and other finches, and Downey Woodpeckers, and other small birds) can fit though the spaces easily and feed, however, the European Starlings and Crackles are too large. The Starlings and Crackles do eat from other feeders, but I wanted to prevent them from intimidating the smaller birds at one feeder at least, and I wanted to stop them from eating me out of house and home!

Something I highly recommend is a heated bird bath for those who live in climates that have temperatures that go below freezing. My heated bird bath is extremely popular with birds and squirrels.

m51galaxy

Shiny_Rock
Hubby and I love birds. We were so excited we recently had a covey of quail come by 3 different evenings. First time we've seen them in this neighborhood - we've been here 24 years.

MJ_Mac

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@december-fire - Would you be able to recommend a particular brand of heated birdbath? We had one and it went kaput a few years ago and I haven't been able to find a comparable one since. We're in Manitoba so it will get a work out (lol).

We live beside an urban forest. Recently we have a hawk visiting our backyard. We have quite a large fountain and it enjoys taking baths and showers in it. It's eerie to see all the little birds suddenly disappear when it shows up. The yard go quiet. The thing that is most alarming is we have a 3.75 lb dog. Luckily she doesn't like being outside. Next year we are going to build a covered dog run or maybe a doggie gazebo.

We have Blue Jays visit us regularly, year round. Usually the entire family shows up at once. Recently I have only seen the one. I have to read up more on Blue Jays.

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@december-fire - Would you be able to recommend a particular brand of heated birdbath? We had one and it went kaput a few years ago and I haven't been able to find a comparable one since. We're in Manitoba so it will get a work out (lol).

We live beside an urban forest. Recently we have a hawk visiting our backyard. We have quite a large fountain and it enjoys taking baths and showers in it. It's eerie to see all the little birds suddenly disappear when it shows up. The yard go quiet. The thing that is most alarming is we have a 3.75 lb dog. Luckily she doesn't like being outside. Next year we are going to build a covered dog run or maybe a doggie gazebo.

We have Blue Jays visit us regularly, year round. Usually the entire family shows up at once. Recently I have only seen the one. I have to read up more on Blue Jays.

I'll take a look at the box the bird bath came in and provide you with the company name, etc. I'll do that tomorrow; if you don't mind since its later here and its been a long day --- also, I'm about to post a few bird photos! Try to stop me from doing that! Ha!

Oh my goodness, that would be amazing to see the hawk in the fountain! And, yes, when a hawk is somewhere nearby, it gets eerie to see no birds (or squirrels, chipmunks, rabbits in the yard). Of course, now I know what's going on if I glance outside and see no signs of life, so I start scanning the trees to see if I can spot the hawk.

I understand you being concerned about your dog! I saw some funny photos of dogs wearing outfits that have 'spines' on the back. I gather the idea is to scare off hawks. Not sure whether the outfits work, and I don't know that I would risk the poor pup to test an outfit!

Interesting about the Blue Jays. I have them here, but I don't know enough about them - or birds - to offer an explanation. Funny story - this Summer a Blue Jay trained me to throw him a peanut when I see him in the hydrangea outside my kitchen window. The birds have me well-trained.

1ofakind

Brilliant_Rock
Yes to heated birdbath! I got mine second hand for a couple bucks and it’s going on 3 winters. We didn’t need one at our last location as we didn’t have many days below freezing.
I’ve definitely witnessed hawks catch birds from the feeders. Last two summers though there’s been a red winged blackbird claiming our yard for himself. I haven't seen young or a female but he will chase the hawks and even the osprey. Little dude has a constant screech/alarm call...I really hope he gets a wife and moves somewhere else next year.

My goal for next year is to attract orioles. There are some that nest in the park near our house...maybe they’ll visit if I put out a feeder for them.

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love seeing photos and, @KristinTech , that shot of the praying mantis with the hummingbird feeder is great! Its wonderful that you knew these guys don't play nice with hummingbirds, and you moved him.

I'm going to bore you with a couple of photos. I may have shared these before in the thread about photos of nature and wildlife, but it would have been a couple of years ago.

First up is a Black-throated Gray Warbler that appeared in the area three years ago in November/December. This type of bird isn't normally found here; sometimes birds get off course due to hurricanes, etc. Unfortunately, this little guy didn't survive our Winter; he eats insects and he's usually found on the West Coast of the US and down into Mexico. Here on the opposite side of North America, Winter brings snow and finding insects on the ground is tough. Sorry for the not-happy ending, but that's part of nature.

0I5A0589.JPG

Male Indigo Bunting

This handsome lad appears around May 18 (yes, he is very precise with his travel schedule!). He doesn't stick around. However, that might be because I've put a cage around the feeder he wants to go to! I need to re-assess the feeder set-ups to determine if I should make any changes in an effort to coax him into staying around more than a day or two.

0I5A1452.JPG

Male Rose-Breasted Grosbeck ... in the rain, and apparently not to thrilled about it -- or maybe he just didn't like me taking his photo.

0I5A4284.JPG

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes to heated birdbath! I got mine second hand for a couple bucks and it’s going on 3 winters. We didn’t need one at our last location as we didn’t have many days below freezing.
I’ve definitely witnessed hawks catch birds from the feeders. Last two summers though there’s been a red winged blackbird claiming our yard for himself. I haven't seen young or a female but he will chase the hawks and even the osprey. Little dude has a constant screech/alarm call...I really hope he gets a wife and moves somewhere else next year.

My goal for next year is to attract orioles. There are some that nest in the park near our house...maybe they’ll visit if I put out a feeder for them.

Wow! I had no idea a red-winged blackbird would chase hawks and osprey! I can imagine it doing so if it were protecting its young, but when there are no young to protect, I would have thought it would try to avoid the predators not chase them!

Orioles are beautiful! I hope you can lure them to your yard!

Glad to hear you have a heated bird bath! Birds can get moisture from snow, but their bodies have to use energy to melt the consumed snow (Ok, that sounds poorly worded, but you know what I'm saying). A heated bird bath means that energy is not needed to melt consumed snow, and is therefore available to help stay warm or seek food, etc.

Experts - please chime in to tell me I'm wrong or to explain stuff! I'm fading and losing my ability to express myself clearly! Ha!

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@MJ_Mac ,

Just took a look at the box my heated bird bath came in.

Its an 'Allied Four Seasons Heated Bird Bath'. It has a built-in automatic thermostat and uses 70 watts of power - 120 volts. So not a ton of power, but its enough to keep the water from freezing - however, I will note that there have been a couple of mornings when there was a layer of ice - I believe it was when there's been a very cold wind (we had a couple of -40 degree celsius days).

I bought this heated bird bath at a small bird store. However, I shop a lot at Wild Birds Unlimited, and they carry heated bird baths. There may be a location near you, or you could check out their on-line store.

1ofakind

Brilliant_Rock
Wow! I had no idea a red-winged blackbird would chase hawks and osprey! I can imagine it doing so if it were protecting its young, but when there are no young to protect, I would have thought it would try to avoid the predators not chase them!

Orioles are beautiful! I hope you can lure them to your yard!

Glad to hear you have a heated bird bath! Birds can get moisture from snow, but their bodies have to use energy to melt the consumed snow (Ok, that sounds poorly worded, but you know what I'm saying). A heated bird bath means that energy is not needed to melt consumed snow, and is therefore available to help stay warm or seek food, etc.

Experts - please chime in to tell me I'm wrong or to explain stuff! I'm fading and losing my ability to express myself clearly! Ha!

You’re explaining very well. ;-)

Yes it’s weird this bird is so territorial with no nest...he alarm calls all day...literally. As much as I love birds...he is a challenge, lol. The osprey must have been like hey man chill out....I just want a fish! lol.

Thanks for sharing pics...it makes me want to get out that camera and learn how to use it! The warbler is adorable...Too bad he was so far from home though.

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@1ofakind ,

Yes, get out your camera!

I got into wildlife photography about four years ago. Although I was interested in getting shots of deer and other non-winged animals, it quickly became apparent that I might not come across deer on every outing, but I would see birds every time. It was interesting to see the various birds. I'll take shots, come home, and try to figure out what kind of bird was in the photo. I love being able to zoom into the shots - and study the photo of the laptop - so that I can observe the small details.

Capturing shots of birds in flight is great! By that I mean, challenging, frustrating, etc. Ha! I love it!

Try to get out with your camera, even just in the backyard, every day - even if only for a few minutes.

Don't use AUTO. However, if you're struggling trying to get a decent shot due to the lighting, it can be useful to take a shot in AUTO and check the results and the settings determined by the camera. But the camera doesn't always select the settings that will produce the results you want - that's why you should learn about, and play with, the manual settings.

I believe nothing is super complex or impossible to learn. Its just a matter of figuring out what level of knowledge/skill you're at, and building upon that.

I happen to be the kind of person that reads manuals. When I bought my camera, I read the manual. I had the camera next to me so that I could read about a setting/feature, pick up the camera, check it out, make sure I grasped the concept.

Have fun and ask if you have questions --- lots of people here are quite knowledgeable about many different subjects! Oh, I took out some Library books when I got started --- stuff on composition, etc. But do what works for you and what interests you!

And because I can go on (and on, and on) about stuff that I find interesting --- I'll add that I'd love to see any photos you take of nature or wildlife (there's a thread on that stuff, although I've obviously added bird photos here). Don't worry if photos are blurry or the lighting is off - I'm interested in seeing the subject matter.

MJ_Mac

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@MJ_Mac ,

Just took a look at the box my heated bird bath came in.

Its an 'Allied Four Seasons Heated Bird Bath'. It has a built-in automatic thermostat and uses 70 watts of power - 120 volts. So not a ton of power, but its enough to keep the water from freezing - however, I will note that there have been a couple of mornings when there was a layer of ice - I believe it was when there's been a very cold wind (we had a couple of -40 degree celsius days).

I bought this heated bird bath at a small bird store. However, I shop a lot at Wild Birds Unlimited, and they carry heated bird baths. There may be a location near you, or you could check out their on-line store.

Thanks @december-fire, I appreciate you checking your birdbath box. I've been doing a lot of online ordering so I'll have a look at their online store. The store I purchased from in the past closed down. It was located in the Maritimes and they had every type of feeder, birdbath or bird related merchandise you could ask for. I was so sad to see they closed.

Awesome pictures as always. I always enjoyed your pictures in the other thread. That male Indigo Bunting sure is handsome. I love your story about the Blue Jay. I had a cottontail train me to throw carrots out to him in the morning. I missed a morning because I was on the phone and I turned around to find him on his hind legs looking in the window at me.

@KristinTech - I think I would run screaming in the opposite direction or pass out from fright if I saw a praying mantis.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know if there are there binoculars that can be used with glasses? Both my husband and myself wear progressive lenses.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We are not birders but we get to enjoy so many birds in our area. This summer has been especially filled with amazing wildlife including birds. Birds that don't usually migrate here either. We see Osprey, Cormornants, the usual ducks and geese, Egrets and we also saw amazingly enough black bellied whistling ducks a month or so ago right in our area! They are not native to our area and they have never migrated here before the last few years. We were fortunate enough to see them close up. Breathtakingly beautiful.

blackbelliedducksinog.jpg

blackbelliedwhistlingducksflyingaway.jpg

black-bellied-whistling-duck-posing.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And our friend set up a Martin colony in the area and every single year it is a very busy wonderful place for the birds.
Pics from July 2020.

babybirdscloseup.jpg

babybirds.jpg

glennysbirdnest.jpg

migratorybirds.jpg

migratorybirdsnesting.jpg

glennyfeeder.jpg
glennysfeeder.jpg

glenny'sfeeders.jpg

glennysfeeders.jpeg
glennysfeeders.jpg

feedersforbirds.jpg

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Good morning, bird lovers! I didn’t hear any unusual activity last night, only a lone Canadian goose at about 4:00am. This morning, we have all the usual suspects at the feeders (see last pic). I have my oriole feeder with jelly and oranges out in a separate area off to the side. We had several in April and May and hope that they’ll return. The suet feeders are also out of view here in the last shot. The hummingbird feeder and “dinner bell” tray feeder are closer to the deck/patio—the other feeders are about 40 feet out at the property line under the maple tree. All the seed is from my Wild Birds Unlimited ship in town—they are so helpful! Mostly on the tray feeders is the seed/nut/berry plus blend (no mess). I’d love any suggestions people have about preparing these feeders, positioning and feed-wise, for the fall and winter.

A heated birdbath is next on my wishlist! I do not have one at all. We live on a golf course (not a golf course lot, though), so there are ponds all around us. I don’t know where to get my birdbath... if I should go to a lawn ornament/local artist for the stone/cement structure, then add the water wiggler/heater as add-one? I need to do more research. I’d love suggestions. :)

This morning I’ve seen my usual two bickering hummingbirds, mourning doves, the family of chatty house sparrows, my favorite downy woodpeckers, and the rainbow finches (Purple, reddish, and one orange(!) guy) -the yellow American goldfinches only feed in the front yard. We also have a cardinal family, but I haven’t seen the dad in about three weeks. I’m worried about that. The male juvenile is molting and bald! It’s strange to see. We also get just one family of starlings, the grackles have moved on. So not too many bullies at the feeders! I had a female rose breasted grosbeak visit twice—but no male! A family of crows recently found me, and my husband jokes and yells out to them, “Bring her a ruby!” Then turns to me and said, “They like shiny things, you know.” :)

That last pic is my own perch in the mornings—I move my rocking chair over to look out the big window. This is the window with wood slats they shoes off my diamond the most when it’s at my back!)

These photos were inserted in the opposite order as I intended, but so be it! As I was scrolling though for some pics, I saw my approved CAD for my anniversary ring, so I thought I would bury it here in this thread! Sneak peek. The ring should be here later this month for our 20th anniversary!

My morning view when I’m inside and not out on the patio is last. Check out the bird in flight on the back right feeder! You’ll also see my crow, my juvenile male cardinal who is molting, and TWO hummingbirds at the hammock (one is perched and the other is in flight above). I will post more of my pics later!

25B1628D-EA3E-402F-8F6D-BBF0D66DB870.png 661FAC78-18B5-4E73-B66C-0A1AEA9F0F65.jpeg E4A28028-6ED5-430C-9435-3355BB9E03B6.jpeg 0AECC7A5-F2C6-4B6F-8453-624A8FC2AF88.jpeg ADFC651F-8695-42BE-81DD-DD4A69D0FE33.jpeg 7B5E2A5A-2CB6-445E-9BED-8AB8EB5869B1.jpeg

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
You guys must be good luck! My hummingbird and American goldfinch eating together! And a pic of the hummer perched above the feeder. The feeders are actually about 20 inches apart—this angle is deceiving.

55DCF88B-1E08-43D4-BEB9-31CEB42E5E79.jpeg DF7A4183-2981-4D7C-A7C3-002B3C9FC336.jpeg

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks @december-fire, I appreciate you checking your birdbath box. I've been doing a lot of online ordering so I'll have a look at their online store. The store I purchased from in the past closed down. It was located in the Maritimes and they had every type of feeder, birdbath or bird related merchandise you could ask for. I was so sad to see they closed.

Awesome pictures as always. I always enjoyed your pictures in the other thread. That male Indigo Bunting sure is handsome. I love your story about the Blue Jay. I had a cottontail train me to throw carrots out to him in the morning. I missed a morning because I was on the phone and I turned around to find him on his hind legs looking in the window at me.

@KristinTech - I think I would run screaming in the opposite direction or pass out from fright if I saw a praying mantis.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know if there are there binoculars that can be used with glasses? Both my husband and myself wear progressive lenses.

That's a shame that the store in the Maritimes closed. I never like to see a business close, and it sounds as though the owners/staff of that bird store were probably knowledgeable and passionate about what they did.

I don't have binoculars (I've got my camera), but I noticed binoculars in my local Wild Birds Unlimited. You might want to phone Wild Birds (whatever location) and chat with them about binoculars and glasses. The camera store I shop at (Henry's) also carries binoculars, so they might be a useful resource as well. I'm guessing that different binoculars might be best-suited for different purposes, like camera bodies and lens, but I have no clue.

Your story about the cottontail made me laugh! We have to ensure we keep the wildlife happy, after all this is their World and we're merely guests.

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy ,

Thanks for sharing your photos!

Baby birds (like all babies) are totally adorable!

And black-bellied whistling ducks! I've never heard of this type of bird and, if someone else said this name to me I would think they were teasing me! Ha! However, I know you wouldn't have made up this name just to see who would fall for it! Hmmm, you might be feeling mischevious and take that as a dare to come with crazy bird names! If so, that would be great for a laugh! Perhaps we need a thread on real and made-up bird names and people can guess which are which.

=)2

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@KristinTech ,

What a wonderful set-up! You have a lovely variety for the various birds, and your backyard looks like such a peaceful, relaxing spot to enjoy the sights and sounds of the wildlife!

The staff and products at Wild Birds are great! I'd suggest asking them about food, feeder placement, etc. They know what birds and weather are like wherever you're located. Feeder placement recommendations are probably pretty standard in many areas; to minimize/avoid bird collisions with windows, to minimize squirrels accessing the feeders (feeders should be 10 feet or more away from fences and trees, because squirrels can jump quite a distance. Squirrels can also jump onto a bird bath and then leap from there to a nearby feeder. I use squirrel baffles and - after many rounds of Squirrels-vs-Human, things are set-up to keep the squirrels away from the feeders.)

Regarding seed; I also use the No-Mess Blend (which has no shells, so therefore is 100% edible and leaves no seed carpet on the lawn). At the suggestion of Wild Birds, I started filling one of the feeders (a hopper-style) with Safflower Seed. Many birds like it, but the starlings and crackles (which are the local thugs and tend to travel in gangs) find it bitter. When I first switched, I saw the crackles sitting at the feeder tossing the Safflower Seed onto the ground with their beaks in an attempt to find the mixed seed that used to fill that feeder. It was funny!

Concerning bird baths, although there are some beautiful bird baths in concrete and stone (I was so, so tempted to purchase a gorgeous granite bath in a metal frame), its good to consider the practical aspect that you need to dump the water from time to time. A light-weight bath is easy to dump, wipe clean and refill. I guess one could use a hose to spray out the dirty water, but with freezing temperatures here, that's not possible. Another weather consideration is how concrete reacts to your particular climate. I have three bird baths and only the heated bird bath can withstand the Winters here and can be left outside all year.

Another important consideration is that a bird bath might be beautiful, but it might not be safe for birds. Metal can rust, paint might not be non-toxic, etc. A friend purchased a lovely metal (iron?) bird bath, but it rusted. This was a few years ago, so I can't recall all the details, but I remember trying to find a paint or coating that would be 100% safe for birds; I was not successful. The term 'non-toxic' might not mean its safe and waterproof. I think a person should be careful about purchasing bird baths from stores that sell a wide variety of products, as opposed to being dedicated solely to bird products.

I have two solar-powered Water Wigglers and think they're great! Mosquitos don't lay eggs in moving water, and birds are attracted to moving water (although birds, and squirrels, will find and appreciate water that isn't moving).

I personally like the fact my heated bird bath is a self-contained unit; no separate heater. However, that's not to say there's anything wrong with a separate heater - I just don't have any experience with them.

Crows and ravens are wonderful! When your crows deliver a shiny ring or stone to you, I'd be happy to take your new ring off your hands! From the CAD, your ring is going to be gorgeous!

Congratulations on your upcoming 20th!

(If someone starts a thread on golf, I promise I won't be on it writing lengthy posts!)

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have feeders out all year long, seeds in winter and sugar water for hummingbirds in the spring and summer. You havent lived until you've exchanged calls with a scarlet tanager. :lol:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy ,

Thanks for sharing your photos!

Baby birds (like all babies) are totally adorable!

And black-bellied whistling ducks! I've never heard of this type of bird and, if someone else said this name to me I would think they were teasing me! Ha! However, I know you wouldn't have made up this name just to see who would fall for it! Hmmm, you might be feeling mischevious and take that as a dare to come with crazy bird names! If so, that would be great for a laugh! Perhaps we need a thread on real and made-up bird names and people can guess which are which.

=)2

Haha they are real and they’re spectacular :)

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We feed birds, and I love seeing them. Our yellowfaced budgie attracts attention when he's outside in his cage. He flock calls to all the wild birds, then just goes on with his repertoire of human words and mixed up phrases. "You're too short to be..a baby bird". He's having trouble with "stormtrooper".

Yesterday for the first time, we saw a black and white woodpecker at our finch feeder. We also regularly have goldfinches, a bluejay, a cardinal, and all different kinds of grackles, black birds and red winged black birds. We see the occasional hawk, but the small birds chase them off.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results