shape
carat
color
clarity

Any Australians here who have upgraded with Whiteflash?

sugarcloud

Shiny_Rock
I am curious if there are any other Aussie's here who have upgraded their Whitelfash diamonds? I am hopefully going ot be upgrading this year and am curious to hear other experiences as far as sending your diamond back, the trade in process and how it all went as far as paying GST on your new diamond.

When I bought my original ACA, Fedex messed up and charged me duties, luckily I was able to sort it out after some back and forth, but it has left me a bit nervous that they might mess something up again.

Hopefully I am posting this in the right forum/thread!!

sugarcloud

Shiny_Rock
Just bumping this thread and tagging in some Aussies in case any of you have experience with this! I really want to send my original diamond back to Whiteflash but I am worried that the exess fees might make it difficult or not worth it. Any advice would be greatly appreicated!! Also if anyone knows of any Aussies on here who have upgraded that would be amazing!

@avalovesdiamonds @gregchang35 @arkieb1 @Monnyjay @GeorgieQ @seafarm

TXwidow

Shiny_Rock
If I had this problem I would either e-mail or set up a phone call (appointment) with one of the customer service folks, explaining (in detail) what happened with the original stone, what you hope to accomplish with a trade-up, and how they will handle the paperwork so you have the (hopefully) least/none of the problems from the first time and (second) so that you pay the correct amount of import fees. Is there a difference in fees if the stone is 'loose' rather than being set?

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
I am currently getting a stone from the US (not upgrading with WF). It will end up cheaper to fly over and pick up the ring than to have it sent back to Aus and paying all the taxes.

Maybe all the Aussies can chip in and send someone over to the US to collect all our goodies hehehe.

sugarcloud

Shiny_Rock
If I had this problem I would either e-mail or set up a phone call (appointment) with one of the customer service folks, explaining (in detail) what happened with the original stone, what you hope to accomplish with a trade-up, and how they will handle the paperwork so you have the (hopefully) least/none of the problems from the first time and (second) so that you pay the correct amount of import fees. Is there a difference in fees if the stone is 'loose' rather than being set?

Thankyou! I really should have updated things a little bit more. The bigger issue I am having at the moment it the process of seningd my original diamond back to the US, and trying to figure out whether I will needs to pay additional charges on top of that as well.

The things is, Whiteflash did everything right on their end, it was once it got here that things got messed up, both at customs and fedex. But in the end things were resolved and I am ok to pay the GST that is due when th enew ring arrives back in Australia.

Right now though my bigger concern is sending it back and figuring out if there will be additonal fees with that. It's been very hard trying ot find another Australian that has actually upgraded with Whiteflash and the customs website here in Australia is not very easy to understand. I will be reaching out to customs and see if they can offer some guidence.

Tagigng in another Aussie who might know something! @Bron357

sugarcloud

Shiny_Rock
I am currently getting a stone from the US (not upgrading with WF). It will end up cheaper to fly over and pick up the ring than to have it sent back to Aus and paying all the taxes.

Maybe all the Aussies can chip in and send someone over to the US to collect all our goodies hehehe.

OMG haha that would be go good. Then they walk on the plane with a diamond ring on each finger

How exciting though, a ring and a trip to the US!!!

sugarcloud

Shiny_Rock

I forgot to ask, have you had an experience with sending jewellery back to the US at all? I thought having it sent over was nerve racking enough but I really have no clue when it comes to sending it back :(

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
I forgot to ask, have you had an experience with sending jewellery back to the US at all? I thought having it sent over was nerve racking enough but I really have no clue when it comes to sending it back :(

I've sent things over using Aus post and it was fine. I think total combined was under 10k. I sent my stone to JBG to mount and just said it was for repairs or something. Then when she sent it back I told her just insure for the setting that I bought as the stone was already mine.

I wouldn't send my bigger stones over though. Some places may offer a shipping label but I don't think it applies to us as we're international.

sugarcloud

Shiny_Rock
I've sent things over using Aus post and it was fine. I think total combined was under 10k. I sent my stone to JBG to mount and just said it was for repairs or something. Then when she sent it back I told her just insure for the setting that I bought as the stone was already mine.

I wouldn't send my bigger stones over though. Some places may offer a shipping label but I don't think it applies to us as we're international.

Ok thats great to hear! My current ring is only about $4.5K so much less than yours, but I would need to insure for the whole ring as right now I don't have it insured seperately. The one coming back would be about $10k so I have calculated the GST for that one and that's all good from that end.

I was going to go in to Australia Post today to talk with them but things got too busy so will go on Monday, but I am trying to figure out if they will be able to sort it all out or if I will needs to do something else through customs given that the value will be about $4.5k. and also it is jewellery and I seem to remember reading that Aus post wont send jewellery? Surely that can't be right!

Anyway if I can just get it over the Whiteflash I will feel so much better about everything. I had a diamond on hold but I have asked them to take it off because I'm not sure how long this will all take. Honeslty the WF staff are such angels, I feel like I email them more than anyone else these days

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
I'm sure there's a specific satchel/postal method that's for jewellery and watches and with Aus post you can insure up to 5k AUD. I just can't remember the one - I know it's not the express international.. probably the priority one? Double check if you get a chance.

Also in terms of customs and taxes when receiving the ring, if you've got proof that you paid taxes on the old ring and this is just the difference then I'm sure you're able to only pay the difference in taxes. It might mean that the declared value is less but that means the package is insured for less as well.

sugarcloud

Shiny_Rock
I'm sure there's a specific satchel/postal method that's for jewellery and watches and with Aus post you can insure up to 5k AUD. I just can't remember the one - I know it's not the express international.. probably the priority one? Double check if you get a chance.

Also in terms of customs and taxes when receiving the ring, if you've got proof that you paid taxes on the old ring and this is just the difference then I'm sure you're able to only pay the difference in taxes. It might mean that the declared value is less but that means the package is insured for less as well.

Ok this is really putting me mind at ease. I don't know why these things stress me out so much, I guess I just worry I will mess something up!

Yes, I think I remember WF did mention that the upgraded one will icur GST only for the upgrade portion, so that should be a good deal less as well!!

Phew ok well I will aim to go in on Monday and find out exactly what I need to do and go from there. Thank you so much for your help!! It's always nice to chat with other Aussies on here

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
Haha yeah it's tough in Australia where our jewellery is so expensive. Sending stuff back is not an ideal option but it's doable! I think you'll be fine sending your stone/ring to the US.

I think I've sent jewellery to the US a total of three times and each time they arrived safely.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@sugarcloud, have you spoken to Whiteflash about them sending you a shipping label? Not sure if they do it for overseas delivery like they do US. I would chat with them about how they would want you to ship your current ring to them.

sugarcloud

Shiny_Rock
@sugarcloud, have you spoken to Whiteflash about them sending you a shipping label? Not sure if they do it for overseas delivery like they do US. I would chat with them about how they would want you to ship your current ring to them.

Unfortunately they have told me that I will need to organise it all on my end. I do understand though because if Australia has any conditions or fees etc then that should be up to me to handle, I just wish things were more straightford here! I have asked though if they have any advice as far as how other Aussies usually do it so I'll see what they say.

I'm hoping that I'm just completely overthinking this and it will be so much simpler than I am expecting.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Are you able to insure your ring through an insurance company before shipping? That would ease some stress.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results