shape
carat
color
clarity

Antiques Fair...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello all,

Just thought I''d share an interesting thing that I saw on the weekend. Went to a local antiques fair and was happily drooling over all the antique jewellery until I noticed rather a lot of things stating "18K gold blah blah blah with real RUBY" but when I looked at them they were clearly garnet (very obvious brown/orange undertones, very clear and large) and they were selling it for a rather high price to rip people off!

I felt really angry that they would do this, because if they truely were genuine ruby I''m sure the price would have been thousands of dollar higher! So poor little old ladies there were forking out hundreds of dollars for something that wasn''t even real ruby! Grrrr....

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is it possible the vendor is inexperienced with gemstones? Well, they really should appraise/check it first anyway.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There is a sucker born every minute.
face7.gif

ma re

Ideal_Rock
If they were large (whatever you mean by that in terms of diameter) my first bet would be synthetic ruby and not a garnet - dark red/brown garnets (pyropes) are rarely larger than 2-3 cts.

P. S. The first rule of gem buying is; if it''s too good to be true, then it''s not true
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results