shape
carat
color
clarity

Antique yellow diamond appraisal

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

BeckyJo

Rough_Rock
I need a professional opinion about 50+ yr old 1ct? round cushion cut yellow diamond that has been handed down to me. The stone itself was given to my father by my great-grandmother, and he put it in a platinum basket setting and gave it my mother as an engagement ring. I know that she had it appraised before but I need to know if now it is even worth getting it appraised let alone selling it which was what I had in mind of doing. Please help me. Thank you.
1.gif

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Realistically, an appraisal does not add value, but informs you of the appraiser's opinion of the value. If yyou want to know what it is worth, show the ring to a few "jewelry buyers" if you live in or near a big city.... Now, they will not give you top dollar for immediate cash, but this is the easy way to begin to know what the item is worth if you want to make a larger effort.

Figure, they will buy from you and resell it to another dealer. You need to get to that sort of bigger version of a dealer. You can do this via auction houses, or in the very largest of cities, in their diamond districts.

SHop the large markets and see what you can get. Then you'll be able to make an informed decision. Ann appraisal might help if you commit yourself to E-bay or the like, but they are not the best way to sell the unusual in diamonds.

BeckyJo

Rough_Rock
thanks for the info I really appreciate it.
Sincerely BeckyJo
wavey.gif

Fancy

Shiny_Rock
Wow, the ring sounds like it has a lot of family history ... would you consider resetting it in a style you like? I love the round cushion cut, and the rarity of the yellow should make it very valuable, of course depending on quality etc...Check out icestore.com to see how expensive those fancy yellows can be!

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
The fact that the ring is 50+ years old means that the diamond is a natural fancy color, if indeed the color ranks as fancy or better.

True fancy color diamonds can be worth a lot of money. You've got fancy lights that are worth a moderate amount, fancy's that are worth a medium amount, fancy intense that are worth a significant amount, and fancy vivid that can be worth an astronomical amount.

I would recommend having it appraised by a professional who is familiar with fancy colored diamonds before selling it. Most dealers are not familiar with fancy colors, and will be conservative in their valuation. You need someone who is familar with fancy colors, so you won't unknowingly sell the diamond for far less than it is worth.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results