shape
carat
color
clarity

Antique wedding band question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Cady

Rough_Rock
Hi Everyone!

I have been lurking for a shamefully long time and have finally gotten up the nerve to post. Thank you all for the great information/discussions - it''s a lot less scary to delurk on this message board than any other!

Anyway, I am getting married this summer, and my mom has offered me my great-grandmother''s wedding band. It is a thin eternity band set with east-west baguette diamonds and I am really thrilled with both the ring and the gesture. The only problem is that several of the diamonds are broken or chipped and it could use some general repair. I''ve read a lot on here about Single Stone and emailed Ari to ask if anything could be done. His (very prompt and professional) response was that he would need to look at in person, and to send it in. I am very excited to work with him, but I have cold feet about sending it in the mail! The ring is so pretty as is, and while it would be spectacular fixed up, I would be sick if anything happened to it in transit. Am I being silly? Should I cross my fingers and send it off?

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
hi cady :)

i sent away my e-ring to have some work a short time ago, and it was an odd feeling writing such an enormous amount on the paperwork as i sent it away through the mail! so i understand your concern!

however, i''ve found USPS registered mail to be the most reliable, and apparently registered mail is ''red boxed'' on each step of the trail, meaning that what you send is recorded and locked up at each stop. if anything happens to it, it can be traced to the exact point where it went astray and to the last person who handled it. i also always insure. i''ve never had a problem and, altho it''s slower than regular mail, it seems a very secure method of transit to me.

Cady

Rough_Rock
Hi Whitby! Thank you so much for your response! I''ve never sent anything registered mail and didn''t realize it was so carefully monitored - that makes me feel so much better! Ari requested that the ring be sent registered anyway, so thank you for putting my mind at ease.

By the way, is your screenname taken from the town that is famous for its jet?

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/2/2009 10:07:41 PM
Author: Cady
Hi Whitby! Thank you so much for your response! I''ve never sent anything registered mail and didn''t realize it was so carefully monitored - that makes me feel so much better! Ari requested that the ring be sent registered anyway, so thank you for putting my mind at ease.

By the way, is your screenname taken from the town that is famous for its jet?

hi again, cady - glad i could help :)

whitby is the name of a wonderful sea-side town in england from which captain cook sailed to australia. being a good australian, who finds herself on the other side of the world, it seemed like a good id for me :)

do come back and post photos when your ring has had its check up; i love antique jewelry and would really enjoy seeing photos of yours!

Cady

Rough_Rock
I sent the ring off to Single Stone yesterday and am keeping my fingers crossed that it makes it there (and that Ari deems it fixable!).

Whitby, I''ll be sure to post pictures when I have it back! I love antique jewelry as well - the history and the craftsmanship really draw me in. It takes a brave soul to move halfway across the globe! Are you happy in your new locale?

Thanks again for your help!

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
I see you''ve already sent it off (so exciting!!), but I wanted to second what Whitby said about USPS registered mail. I had the same sick nervous feeling when I had to send my engagement ring in for work, but there were no problems at all. Yes, things can always happen, but it really is very secure. Don''t worry!

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
when you receive it back please post pics....the rings sounds divine! I love the idea of east/west marquise stones...what an amazing sentiment to be able to get married using such a priceless ring!

Cady

Rough_Rock
Thank you for the words of reassurance, Musey! It was really weird leaving the post office - I kept thinking, "I could still run back in and grab it..." It makes me feel better to know that other people have used registered mail without a problem. How long did it take for you? The post office estimated four days, which seems short from what I have heard about registered mail. I''m in NY so it''s going all the way across the country.

Thank you, Atroop! I feel really lucky to get to wear such a neat piece of family history. It''s actually baguette diamonds and looks kind of like this: http://www.thefacetscollection.com/item.cfm?item_id=1834 but it is very thin, and not in great shape. I have some "before" pictures that I will try to post this evening. Thanks again for sharing my excitement!

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/7/2009 3:11:03 PM
Author: Cady
Thank you for the words of reassurance, Musey! It was really weird leaving the post office - I kept thinking, ''I could still run back in and grab it...'' It makes me feel better to know that other people have used registered mail without a problem. How long did it take for you? The post office estimated four days, which seems short from what I have heard about registered mail. I''m in NY so it''s going all the way across the country.
I don''t remember exactly, it''s been awhile (Oct. 2007 if I''m remembering correctly). I''m pretty sure it was less than a week.

MMT

Ideal_Rock
Please post your before and afters. It sounds very pretty
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Cady

Rough_Rock
Hi again! Just an update - I spoke with Ari this afternoon and my great-grandmother''s ring still hasn''t arrived
23.gif
I sent it on April 4th, and when I track the package, USPS says that it arrived in LA on April 13th - it just hasn''t gone out for delivery yet. Ari says it isn''t unusual for packages to sit for awhile at a hub for processing, and that registered mail is so unpredictable time-wise that he''s had things arrive after 3 days or 3 weeks. He was very reassuring, and I am trying not to worry, but it''s hard! Has anyone had anything like this happen?

Also, thanks again everybody - I hope to be able to post some pictures soon!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results