shape
carat
color
clarity

Antique (vintage) cabochon ruby pendant

worldtraveler101

Shiny_Rock
Hey guys!

Back again. My great grandmother had this 22k uncut ruby pendant called 'addigai' in South India. It looked very similar to the image attached. Unfortunately, as much as my g-gmom had great taste in jewellery, she also favored her sons and the necklace was passed down to her son's son's wife who hates her husband's family just enough to not wear this jewel but also not willing to sell it. Anyway, long story short, this is something I would like to get recreated. So, does anyone have any idea where I could source stones like this? These are Burmese uncut rubies. I have a local jeweller who will then set the stones exactly like this pendant. 04c3b79e51dd25f7bda29b96e5bb1585.jpg

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I’m afraid these might be quite difficult to procure in some countries. But I’ve seen numerous fine jewelry manufacturers based in India on Pinterist and Instagram either selling vintage Burma (might also be Afghani) ruby cabochon necklaces or reproduction fine jewelry. South Indian wedding necklace is a key word you can search on. Polki and Attigai are also terms I’ve seen associated with ruby jewelry items. I suggest you find some vintage dealers and query them about where to obtain antique rubies. You might want to cross post your inquiry on colored stones forum, many expert colored stone consumers there.

One other idea is to simply find a vintage/antique piece from an Indian jeweler that already exists and buy it as craftsmanship is exquisite and reproductions a risk because you don’t know what final product will look like.

PS if you have any info on this style and the rubies I’d appreciate learning more.

PPS I’m not an expert at all, only an admirer of this style and trying to help…Good Luck!

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results