shape
carat
color
clarity

antique stones ok?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

doyler

Rough_Rock
i''m getting engaged soon, and have seen and really like a 1carat edwardian diamond, but i''m a bit worried about conflict stones; the seller won''t show me a guarantee from his supplier that they are ok? they say that old stones are exempt from that type of thing. is this normal? i don''t want to get anything with a problem like that.

it''s a g colour, si2 clarity, in a platinum setting.

FacetFire

Brilliant_Rock
You will avoid supporting the conflict diamond market by buying an antique stone because it''s a secondary market...do a google search for conflict diamonds and antique diamonds and you will find a bunch of articles on the subject...

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 1/26/2007 9:53:57 AM
Author:doyler
i''m getting engaged soon, and have seen and really like a 1carat edwardian diamond, but i''m a bit worried about conflict stones; the seller won''t show me a guarantee from his supplier that they are ok? they say that old stones are exempt from that type of thing. is this normal? i don''t want to get anything with a problem like that.

it''s a g colour, si2 clarity, in a platinum setting.
Doyler,

I am sorry to break the news to you but: Historic Diamonds back in the early days (let say upto the 19th. Century) were mostly in Royal hands.
Some of the most famous wars in history were started because of Diamonds!!!!

So, do you think they can fit into the Conflict Diamonds issue???

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Haha Diagem, that''s the good one! Most historic diamonds have blood all over them.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 1/26/2007 10:19:56 AM
Author: Pricescope
Haha Diagem, that''s the good one! Most historic diamonds have blood all over them.
Soaked in "Royal Blue Blood" among others...., i am glad you enjoyed it...

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
There are lots of newly cut old European cut reproduction stones and some might be bloody. Who can tell? Its good to see a collective conscience develop and the diamond trade may step up in an ever larger way to promote a more fair diamond trade. Legitimate diamond mining provides many thousands of relatively high paying jobs for native workers in many countries around the world. Its far from slavery, but life in third world countries is just not the piece of cake we have in the first world.

In the third world having a regular job, a place to sleep, and enough food constitutes the necessities of life. Workers in legitimate mining operations are in far better shape than this, but life is hard for the majority of the population of the world.

When you buy a diamond, you generally are supporting legitimate, non-bloodied workers and their families. Its easy to talk about buying selectively, but it is not an easy task to record and transfer the history of each and every piece of rough diamond material entering the market. Would the poor be better off with no diamond resources in their country to mine? Would having no diamond trade provide them more food, or more safety? I really can''t weigh and balance a real response and I am somewhat familiar with this multi-sided problem.

My feeling is that diamonds are not the root cause of any problem. Poverty, corrupt government, the failure of education, arbitrary borders set up by long gone colonial powers, and a hundred other problems all contribute to the horrific hatred and wars in these thrid world places. Blaming diamonds is not going to make it better, but the diamond trade has committed itself to doing what it can.

Londonchris

Rough_Rock
Well every dealer and shop seem to be saying their goods are conflict free these days.
I``m quite certain that most diamonds and colour stones have some "conflict" in them somewhere along the line and so personally i would concentrate on just getting a good deal.
Life was much bloodier and murderous years ago (at least in europe) ,when people carried swords ect and public executions where watched by thousands.
Antique is fine ,just go for it.

doyler

Rough_Rock
cheers lads. i feel none the wiser LOL......

cool site, by the way.

Londonchris

Rough_Rock
Basically this conflict issue is a new thing and edwardian stones are abit "old" so as the guy said it`s not something to hassle about.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results