shape
carat
color
clarity

Antique stone, ring by leon Mege

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Aquitaine

Rough_Rock
Got some help on this forum back in February/March when this was in the planning stages and never came back with the final product. The diamond belonged to my grandmother and was purchased as part of her engagement ring back in the 1930s right here in NYC. It''s since been around the country a couple times but I managed to get my hands on it rather by accident shortly before I needed it!

The center stone is a Brilliant cushion old miner''s cut, 3.51ct (was 3.6ct but had some wear & tear and so I had it re-cut), L color, SI-1 clarity. Of the 84 other diamonds, 24 are 0.011ct and 60 are between 0.003-0.030ct, all VS2+, E/F/G color, and strong blue fluorescent (the center stone is not at all fluorescent).

The ring was made by Leon Mege in Manhattan. He was referred to me by a good friend whose fiance went to Leon for their engagement ring, and I''d recommend him without hesitation. I''d heard that he can be a bit tough to deal with if he isn''t interested in your project or thinks it''s beneath him, but what I saw from the range of ideas he gave me and samples he showed me was that he views his role in the market as someone who does custom work and so there are (understandably) going to be things he wants to focus shop''s time on. He had a couple high-end pieces (including some very nice earrings) that he showed me ''just cause'' and he was quite proud of them. When we later asked him about doing wedding bands, his reply was that asking him to do a simple band was ''like bringing a bicycle to a Mercedes shop.'' I guess some people could be bothered by that, but frankly I appreciated his honesty and didn''t find him to be a diva in any respect. I run a small business myself and there are some parts of the market that we just don''t excel at or aren''t good uses of our time.

The engagement took place a kilometer or two up atop Montefaito on the Amalfi coast in Italy, outside on the terrace bar of ''Hotel Belvedere.'' I preferred it as there was no convenient way off the mountain.

We''re currently trying to figure out the best place to order platinum wedding bands (simple dome bands) from online. We used platinumovernight.com but ended up changing our minds on what we wanted and sent them back; their customer service was OK but not great (they shipped one of the two, both were on the packing slip, then said the second would be shipped in a week, then we canceled it but it arrived the next day) and there were several negative reviews of them we discovered after-the-fact; but their prices were very good and the rings we did get from them were certainly very nice. Can anyone recommend a good place to get Plat 950 wedding bands?

bd-ring1.jpg

Ara Ann

Brilliant_Rock
More pics? Please????
9.gif
Looks gorgeous in this one though!

(BTW, do you have an older brother?
2.gif
)

Congratulations on your engagement!

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous ring, and what an amazing place for a proposal! Congratulations!

For platinum bands, try www.e-weddingbands.com - I''ve ordered 2 sets of wedding bands from them in platinum and other materials and their customer service has always been excellent.

Bets wishes!

jill_s

Brilliant_Rock
Wow - beautiful! Can you please post more pics??

princessplease

Ideal_Rock
Wow, amazing!!!!!!!! MORE PICS PLEASE!!!!!!!!!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

Aquitaine

Rough_Rock
The pictures were all done by the guy who appraised it (whom I also recommend - David Wolf)...I certainly couldn''t have taken them this well.

4827 - 07.JPG

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
SO stunning!!! and ditto, can we see more pics? maybe hand pics?
9.gif

congrats!!

legra

Brilliant_Rock
Simply spectacular! What a beautiful antique stone in a gorgeous Leon setting - your fiance must be thrilled. Amazing proposal site as well. Congratulations on your engagement. Handshots?

Luckyeshe

Ideal_Rock
36.gif
36.gif
CONGRATS ON YOUR ENGAGEMENT!!!
36.gif
36.gif

Gorgeous ring!! I love the fact that the diamond has been in your family since the 30s!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Congrats, what AMAZING Stone; that is so awesome it was your grandmothers what a treasure!!!
30.gif
30.gif
Gorgeous!!!
36.gif

canada_ham

Shiny_Rock
gorgeous ring!
36.gif
congrats!!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a stunning heirloom diamond! And of course Leon''s work is beautiful and meticulous as usual. I''m glad you had such a wonderful and positive experience!

I second e-weddingbands.com, I''ve had friends order from them with no problems.

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Hubba-hubba! That''s one gorgeous ring, with a lovely history. Congratulations!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous!

Date: 11/17/2009 10:49:23 AM
Author: LaurenThePartier
For platinum bands, try www.e-weddingbands.com - I''ve ordered 2 sets of wedding bands from them in platinum and other materials and their customer service has always been excellent.
ditto ditto ditto ditto

Kay

Ideal_Rock
Wow, I can just imagine being proposed to on the Amalfi Coast with my FI''s grandmother stunning antique diamond in that LM gorgeous setting. What a moment that must have been. Congratulations on your engagement.

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
WOW! That diamond is amazing! So is the setting! But bringing a bicycle to a Mercedes shop? HA!! Yes that is honest but please......

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
That ring is drool-worthy! WONDERFUL job on that one!

I have a 2 mm platinum and from Signed Pieces/Facets. Its from their Raphael collection. Might be worth checking out. They also carry regular domed bands (the Raphael is slightly "flatter" and less rounded).

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
18.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
18.gif
need I say more

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
What a gorgeous ring! I love it. Congratulations on your engagement!

Aquitaine

Rough_Rock
Went with e-weddingbands. Their prices were comparable to Platinumovernight but lots of very satisfied reviews. Thanks for the tip!

H

hlpkaixin3344

Wow! It''s so fabulous! I love how its set! Leon is so talented!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous!! Love the milgrain.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous ring. I would also recommend E-weddingbands.com. My husband got his band there and they have excellent customer service. We were very thrilled with them.

2Artists

Brilliant_Rock
Just Gorgeous!

Mrs.2Artists

Burberrygirl

Brilliant_Rock
Your ring is stunning!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Those pictures probably win the prize for being the most close up and detailed pics of a Leon ring. It is truly stunning and congratulations on your engagement (what a romantic place to get engaged!!).

tigian

Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous ring! I''d love to see handshots.

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Wow, that''s just about perfect in every way. Gorgeous!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results